ramarren

A lens decision ...

I tend to use a fast normal lens most of the time. And for the R and M I have 50mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/2 choices … more than one of them. I was planning on buying the APO-Summilux-TL 35mm f/1.4 ASPH to use with the CL, the dedicated normal for the format. But. It's kind of a bulky lens. And I could only use it on the CL since it's Leica L-mount and a fully dedicated, electronic lens. 

I was thinking of all this and looking through some photos I'd made in the distant past. And some of my favorite photos made with the Pentax APS-C bodies were made with the SMC-Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited. And I remember looking for one of the special versions of this lens made for Leica an eon ago—essentially the exact same lens in an RF focusing mount—and being a little put off by the price (over $1100 at that time with the dedicated 43mm optical finder). And it's that very nice 'long-normal' equivalent focal length around 65mm on APS-C.

So I looked for a LTM mount SMC-Pentax-L 43m f/1.9 Limited again and several popped up. Prices are not much different than they were for the complete set in EXC++ to near-MINT examples. But again. I found a couple without the finder down in the $650-700 range. And one looked very clean and pretty, with original caps. And I thought to myself, "That's a lot less than $2500, and I can use it on both my CL and my M-D."

The 40mm optical finder is irrelevant for the CL (EVF body), and I've got an LTM to M-mount adapter for 35mm which I feel fits the 43mm FoV well enough for the M-D (and I can flip to the 50mm framelines easily enough with the M-D's frameline preview selector). And for close focusing on the CL, I have the Leica ELPRO VIIa+b close-up lenses that will work very very nicely. 

Should arrive next week. :D

I respect ramarren's opinion. My mere twenty-five years of following his posts across diverse interests has been helpful. Love him.

BUT! Isn't there always a but?

It might be significant when one fosters above all technical excellence but many choose to transcend, indeed ignore, late technology to appreciate rendering of former tech. In that spirit I use old, passe lenses and I encourage others to try the same. Peace.

Edited by pico

Sounds like we're right in line on this one, Pico!

The SMC-Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited was first released in 1997, definitely a somewhat old fashioned design, and was made in LTM mount for the Japanese market only for a couple of years right about a year afterwards. It will be interesting to compare its rendering and performance against my 1972 Summilux 35mm f/1.4 v2 (which I can also use as a 'normal' on the CL, but don't usually). 

Love these older lenses! Modern lenses are spectacular performers too, but there's something about the uncorrected aberrations in these old lenses that endears them to me. 

The SMC-Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited arrived today. It's everything I'd hoped it would be: small, light, fast, and with superb imaging qualities. I have it set as a Leica Summicron-M 35mm in the lens profiles. Works well as a "long normal" on APS-C. The ELPRO VIIa and VIIb also work very well with it for close up work. 

Very pleased. Photos soon... :)

I took the lens on my bicycle ride, fitted to the Leica CL. It's every bit as lovely a lens on this camera as it was on my APS-C Pentax cameras in the FA series SLR version... 

Leica CL + Pentax-L 43mm Limited
ISO 100 @ f/5.6 @ 1/100

(A full rez image: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1970/45750566191_b23e802c8c_o.jpg)

Just a magnificent lens. I've coded it as a Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 for EXIF and lens profile, it seems to work well. :)

Because it's likely that few people have even seen an SMC-Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited, here is quick shot of the lens on my CL taken this morning: 

Click on the image for the gallery of five photos on flickr.com. 

The beautiful rendering of this lens is just so apparent in photos like this ... a selfie of me and another bicyclist I met today who happens to share the same name ... 

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1922/45706965492_09cc3c0b96_o.jpg&key=c7d335bbb4eadddbab70bb424d5292053ba43036b9419321319bf5397ec73eee">

Two Godfreys - San Jose 2018  :: Leica CL + Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Ltd (ISO 250 @ f/4 @ 1/60)

Edited by ramarren