Lens hood question for Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH

yst

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good day!    

Just received a gift of "Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH Lens", not familiar with it yet... but seeing while it's lens hood can be locked in firmly on the forward way, however can NOT be locked, or fit tight on the reverse way...   Is it by design?  Can this lens hood fit by not to move loosely on the reverse way, or it is not designed for reverse fit/lock on the lens?   

In a second question, this lens-hook is big compared to the lens (23mm/f2), how many of you do use the hood on this lens?  Or you mostly use the lens without this bulky hood?    

32 minutes ago, Alex U. said:

Do you use the hood because of flair reductions or lens protection? Maybe both 🙂

I am a strong advocate of using lens hoods, whenever possible. They remain fitted, when possible, even specifying and adapting my many cases to accommodate them. That is how seriously I believe in their value to my photography. Flare can occcur any time with any lens. The hood provides good protection. Occasionally I use my hand, a friend, or neigbouring buildings and trees to augment my defences against flare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I posted this in another thread about hoods for the 18-56. The same hood works on the 23 and provides adequate protection and flare avoidance. FWIW

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Bill W
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Alex U. said:

Do you use the hood because of flair reductions or lens protection? Maybe both 🙂

I care more about flare than about lens protection. Lenses are tools to be used, not mollycoddled 😉

• Like 2

I used two bodies to shoot this parade, two lenses, 35 f1.4 & 85 f1.2 (yes they were canons) 

Lost one body to the rain that night, but what the hell  I shot some half decent images and none had flare :)

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 6:52 AM, Bill W said:

I posted this in another thread about hoods for the 18-56. The same hood works on the 23 and provides adequate protection and flare avoidance. FWIW

That looks very much like the standard Nikon lens hood for a Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI lens, which would fit fine since it's also 52mm thread. :)

Given all the reports of problems with the Leica clip on hoods, I'd just buy and use a screw in metal hood like that and leave the Leica hood in the box. And yes: I always use a lens hood for lens protection, reduced flare, and better overall contrast. To me, a lens hood is vital part of a good lens. 

• Like 1

Dear yst, I found the same dilemma. My solution is to turn the reversed lens hood till you find the next notch round the barrel, then twist. It annoyed me at first, but a delicate touch without forcing gets it to click home by trial and error. Incidentally, the 18mm lens, Leica says, is designed whereby it doesn’t need any lens hood. I read this somewhere in an official Leica page.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 6:52 AM, Bill W said:

What is this hood ? Could you provide a direct link to it ?

7 hours ago, LeicaHakka said:

What is this hood ? Could you provide a direct link to it ?

This might be it but it has been many months since I bought it. This seller has several 52mm hoods.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Round-Metal-52mm-Lens-Hood-for-Canon-Nikon-Pentax-Sony-Nikkor-Lens/172525079229?hash=item282b4bcabd:g:MSQAAOSw3v5YnbjY

• Like 1