panic over!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a panic moment earlier this week when my Q started taking bleached-out outdoor pics. Removed battery, waited. Same thing happened. Reset camera (date, time, all that stuff) then spotted top dial had been nudged from A to 1/4s without my being aware. So I don't have to send it in for repair after all.

Anyone else done a comparable silly thing?

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Big T:

I thought my focus was broken when it wouldn't focus on my Q.

After a closer check I still had the lens in macro mode. ddooo hhoooo...

I already saw mine shipped to Leica...

5 hours ago, T00m said:

I already saw mine shipped to Leica...

Common mistake. I did it multiple times early with the Q. Also, forgetting to put back in AF after manual focus. Very hard to see if the green focus rectangle is present when out in bright light. 

Edited by Infiniumguy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've made similar mistakes. I was talking to a guy who runs photography courses and I asked him what was difficult when doing so. He answered 'People aren't sufficiently familiar with their cameras.' I think that's a modern thing - in fact, it's what first attracted me to Leica and is what makes me hang on to my (hardly used) M9. On a Q or an M you can usually figure out what is set wrong quickly. When I started out in photography you put the film in the back, there was film speed, shutter speed, iris - that's it. Then some fool added batteries and we've been hurtling down hill ever since. ☹️

Only yesterday I discovered that the focus rectangle could be resized – by the unexpected procedure of pressing the delete button!  Don't think that's in the manual, although it's on the Forum. If you move it around via the D-pad, am I right in thinking it will not revert to centre position even if you remove/replace battery, simply switch off camera or take a photo?

Edited by microview
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, microview said:

Only yesterday I discovered that the focus rectangle could be resized – by the unexpected procedure of pressing the delete button!  Don't think that's in the manual, although it's on the Forum. If you move it around via the D-pad, am I right in thinking it will not revert to centre position even if you remove/replace battery, simply switch off camera or take a photo?

What you observe appears to be correct. Turning off the camera or removing the battery did not alter the size or move the rectangle from where I placed it. Congrats on discovering another undocumented feature. 

Another is when in manual focus, pushing up / down on the round button on the back causes the display to zoom in and out. Pushing the center button causes it to switch between X3 and  X6 magnification. Demitris taught me this one. 

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I tried focus by touch then reverted to single point. But the rectangle stays where it was previously set, and so does touch: so alternating does not send focus point(s) back to centre. However I found that with single point 12 presses on the D-pad takes the rectangle from extreme top to bottom and left to right also. So to get back to exact middle, if it's not obvious to the eye, you could count 6 x 6 from any one corner! ;)

I see there's a thread 'Wandering focus point' on the CL forum where users of that camera would also like a method of centre reversion.

Edited by microview

2 hours ago, microview said:

I tried focus by touch then reverted to single point. But the rectangle stays where it was previously set, and so does touch: so alternating does not send focus point(s) back to centre. However I found that with single point 12 presses on the D-pad takes the rectangle from extreme top to bottom and left to right also. So to get back to exact middle, if it's not obvious to the eye, you could count 6 x 6 from any one corner! ;)

I see there's a thread 'Wandering focus point' on the CL forum where users of that camera would also like a method of centre reversion.

A double tap on tbe touchscreen LCD will bring the focus rectangle back to center screen. 

• Like 3