atournas

X series gone?

Yes, I’m afraid so. It’s been a couple of years now. They are, however, fine cameras and you may be able to get one at a reduced price.

4 hours ago, wda said:

Source?

Leica site's X page includes only the model X-U. The local Leica representative confirmed it. "Leica could not support too many similar models," he said, adding that D-Lux overlapped the X. I don't get it.

Paul

Having owned an X1, and currently owning an X-Vario, I don't get it either Paul.

But it is what it is, and I am happy owning an older non replaceable model.

Get one, and try it, you'll love it.

Gary

7 hours ago, gbealnz said:

Having owned an X1, and currently owning an X-Vario, I don't get it either Paul.

But it is what it is, and I am happy owning an older non replaceable model.

Get one, and try it, you'll love it.

Gary

I already have the X1, Gary, and use it for years with outstanding results, that's why its 'kill' hurt.

Paul

9 hours ago, atournas said:

Leica site's X page includes only the model X-U. The local Leica representative confirmed it. "Leica could not support too many similar models," he said, adding that D-Lux overlapped the X. I don't get it.

Paul

I understand. In some ways Leica is right but the two models are widely different. The latter does not begin to match the simplicity of operation of the X1.

I see retention of the X-U as a tiny glimmer of hope that the X -series is still alive.  Search for Macfilos and read a recent truly excellent article on the future of the Leica X series.

Т series, if Leica still makes them, is potentially much more profitable. To get AF with T series regular, not discount Leica price to be paid.

X series were made in Germany camera-lens combo, but at not regular Leica price. This is the reason why to me. It was not as much profitable as the rest. X were bad for Leica. True Leica, but they have low price and no optics to sell afterwords.

I was thinking about X series for few years now. Not because I really need another digital camera, but because they are true Leica at good price and 35mm equivalent which is my focal length with Ms.

I missed this link and article and happy to read  it!  And good that Stephen Schulz or Ruud Peters were not ruling out another X in the future.  Here's to hoping. 

It's tough to disagree with their point that the CL and two lenses make an excellent travel package. I have handled that camera and it is also nicely designed. But somehow, like the T before it is lacking the DNA of the X cameras exemplified by the layout and mechanical controls. In some ways, Fuji seems to get this more than Leica. Apparently Kaoru Mokunaka was the designer of the X-Vario and 113 (I would also imagine also the X1 and 2). I wonder whether he is still with Leica. 

David

David, you are right. He was the designer who  conceived the concept of the pioneering X1. He sketched his outline doodle drawing  and immediately won the backing of Dr Kaufmann  who made one change to the prototype. He repositioned the aperture wheel marginally more in-board to reduce accidental changes. (It is a pity he didn't also specify a little more friction) The result was a compellingly simple-to-operate high-performing instrument. Perhaps it was this very simplicity that misguidedly led to Smartphone thinking in the T-series and later.

I suspect our generation is too conservative in our preferences for simple analogue controls, which respond to our fingers almost without looking at them. One rotational 'click' and we fine-tune our settings. That is impossible with multi-role buttons and dials on cameras, although I do understand why they were developed for communications..

The CL is a very fine and promising camera. But I much prefer the buttons and dials of my X-Vario. It continues to serve me well, alongside my X1.

Further to my post #12. If you have or can reference LFI magazines 3/2010 and 4/2010 you will find very interesting background information on the concept and design of the Leica X1. The Japanese designer starting working for Leica when co-production started with Panasonic. He became a full-time Leica employee during that process. Supposition is that he had nurtured the idea for a new compact digital Leica based on the Leica III in size and performance and succeeded in persuading Leica to continue with development. It was a bold decision because Leica's resources were already stretched.

Contrary to my statement above, Dr Kaufmann moved both dials  towards the rear of the top plate to make them easier to adjust in practice.

David,

I missed this earlier but thank you for taking time to follow-up. I should subscribe to the LFI Magazines. I used to regularly receive and read Viewfinder.....back in film days. Occasionally I pick up Viewfinder at Glazer's Camera in Seattle when they put it out with the Leica gear.

I agree the tactile aspect is critical for handling these cameras. It seems a world ago when Leica came out with the M6 TTL and aside from increasing the height, they reversed the direction of travel for the shutter dial! That was where tradition began to unravel as I see it.  Of course we do adapt but these new models with "multi-role" controls are a step toward Sony-world that IMHO Leica would do well to avoid. Or at least, maintain a vital X as well as M series.

Do you know whether Mr. Mokunaka is still with Leica?

David

3 hours ago, DwF said:

David,

I missed this earlier but thank you for taking time to follow-up. I should subscribe to the LFI Magazines. I used to regularly receive and read Viewfinder.....back in film days. Occasionally I pick up Viewfinder at Glazer's Camera in Seattle when they put it out with the Leica gear.

I agree the tactile aspect is critical for handling these cameras. It seems a world ago when Leica came out with the M6 TTL and aside from increasing the height, they reversed the direction of travel for the shutter dial! That was where tradition began to unravel as I see it.  Of course we do adapt but these new models with "multi-role" controls are a step toward Sony-world that IMHO Leica would do well to avoid. Or at least, maintain a vital X as well as M series.

Do you know whether Mr. Mokunaka is still with Leica?

David

Afraid not. But I will try to find out. It does seem that seem that product designers work to different philosophies with little lateral unification. If so, I think that is a pity.

Is the wishful call for an X3, the same as the call for the return of CCD sensor in M cameras ?

I never really  get the X concept. X1 and X2 was ok. But X Vario and X were too different and pointless with the competition of new shining T. 

Today CL + Elmarit-TL 18mm is a truly compact with excellent IQ. Of course it is more expensive, but you get built-in EVF and interchangeable lens. And user interface is exceptional. 

Otherwise you get, excellent Q, not pocket friendly, but so much fun to use  

Now get used to it. CCD will never be back, such as X cameras... probably