Eye AF on CL or TL2?

wsself

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone - first post here, nice to meet you all!

I'm presently a Sony user who is strongly considering making the jump over to Leica. Still deciding on TL2 vs CL.

One of the features I like to shoot portraits and I love that my A6300 has Eye AF functionality, where I can lock in and precisely focus on the subject's eye. I can't seem to find any details online that indicate whether this functionality exists within either the CL or TL2 models. Can anyone here advise?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum and to Jurassic... err Leica world :D. I have no idea about the TL2 but the CL doesn't seem to have this functionality. I have no experience with AF on this body but i did not find anything like this in the instructions manual.

14 hours ago, wsself said:

I'm presently a Sony user who is strongly considering making the jump over to Leica. Still deciding on TL2 vs CL.

One of the features I like to shoot portraits and I love that my A6300 has Eye AF functionality, where I can lock in and precisely focus on the subject's eye. I can't seem to find any details online that indicate whether this functionality exists within either the CL or TL2 models. Can anyone here advise?

I know that the SL when AF is set to Face Detect, it's focusing on the eyes and the users manual never says anything about it. The same is likely true of the CL and maybe the TL also. 

I agree that the SL appears to work as if it focuses on the eyes, although the green focus boxes you get in the EVF don't specifically outline the eye. I notice it with the SL because that is what I use for portrait sessions and events. I can't say I've looked for it in the CL, probably because my only lens where it would make a difference is the 60TL - the 18-56 zoom, which I use mostly, has a DoF that masks Eye AF if its there - and even that wouldn't be as noticeable as on a Summicron or Summilux. The CL certainly does not outline the eye with a green box - just the face.

17 hours ago, wsself said:

Hi everyone - first post here, nice to meet you all!

Thanks!

even if it had eyeAF, i doubt it would match the AF speed of the a6xxx series..

Edited by frame-it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey! Thanks everyone for your feedback! Very much appreciated I can assure you. 

So it seems that the bottom line is the Leica CL does have a face detect/focus function, however, it seems somewhat possible that the focus narrows down to the eyes as is the case with the SL. If so, Leica certainly are not obvious about it as they do not indicate the focus box over the eye area. 

The 'Eye AF' feature is something I discovered on my Sony A6300 earlier this year (and yes it is lightning fast). It was a hidden feature, don't know why it is now more prominent in the camera's convoluted menu system. It would be nice to have this feature on a Leica, but certainly not a deal-breaker by any means. The more I investigate the CL/TL2, the more I fall in love with these cameras. 

Speaking of CL/TL2, I have the original Tand CL.  T/TL has a really beautiful and unbeatable design.

The reason why I did not upgrade to TL2 was the removal of the tiny flash from TL2. It is tiny, but it served me a lot on T in some conditions. They needed more room for the cooling of the new sensor, so they removed it from TL2. With T series, Visoflex (evf) is a must, but you cannot use an external flash and the EVF at the same time.

CL is an amazing little camera. Because of its integrated EVF, you can use an external flash.

3 minutes ago, Louis said:

Speaking of CL/TL2, I have the original Tand CL.  T/TL has a really beautiful and unbeatable design.

The reason why I did not upgrade to TL2 was the removal of the tiny flash from TL2. It is tiny, but it served me a lot on T in some conditions. They needed more room for the cooling of the new sensor, so they removed it from TL2. With T series, Visoflex (evf) is a must, but you cannot use an external flash and the EVF at the same time.

CL is an amazing little camera. Because of its integrated EVF, you can use an external flash.

Hey, thanks for this additional feedback! I cannot tell you how torn I am between the option of the TL2 and the CL. And you have both! That's certainly a great way to make up one's mind!

On the TL2, I love the overall aesthetic of its modern design, especially when combined with the Visoflex EVF. I'm a sucker for good design and this unit is gorgeous! I also like that I can connect the body to USB power if needed. I've had to power my A6300 this way in the past when I was in a pinch. I have an odd gut feeling though (without having any real insider insight mind you) that this could be the end of the line for the TL series. The updates seem to be rolling faster for the CL than the TL. If I had a crystal ball, this might help me make up my mind - or not.

The CL, on the other hand, looks to be very straightforward to shoot within using the two dials on the top right of the unit. I love modern design, but guess what, retro design (when done right) also pulls me in - and Leica have done a killer job once again. 

I don't think the absence of a flash will affect my decision as I've never used flashes on the other camera bodies I've owned. I do see how it can be an important feature for others though. 

23 hours ago, wsself said:

Hey, thanks for this additional feedback! I cannot tell you how torn I am between the option of the TL2 and the CL. And you have both! That's certainly a great way to make up one's mind!

On the TL2, I love the overall aesthetic of its modern design, especially when combined with the Visoflex EVF. I'm a sucker for good design and this unit is gorgeous! I also like that I can connect the body to USB power if needed. I've had to power my A6300 this way in the past when I was in a pinch. I have an odd gut feeling though (without having any real insider insight mind you) that this could be the end of the line for the TL series. The updates seem to be rolling faster for the CL than the TL. If I had a crystal ball, this might help me make up my mind - or not.

The CL, on the other hand, looks to be very straightforward to shoot within using the two dials on the top right of the unit. I love modern design, but guess what, retro design (when done right) also pulls me in - and Leica have done a killer job once again. 

I don't think the absence of a flash will affect my decision as I've never used flashes on the other camera bodies I've owned. I do see how it can be an important feature for others though. 

I was considering the TL2 with the Visoflex EVF. When I started to do a cost comparison, I found that the TL2 with the Visoflex was not much cheaper than the CL. I do believe that the CL has better controls than the TL2. Once you get used to the controls, you will find that you can make quite a few adjustments using the buttons and wheels.

I also have both CL and TL2. IMO they are complementary, each with their own strengths, and the choice between them comes down to how you take photographs. I prefer the TL2 styling, interface and ergonomics. I prefer the CL EVF and AF speed.

I don't know what updates the CL has received while the TL2 has missed out. Both have had f/w updates to allow use of the Fotos app, so I don't know what's missing. The CL's AF and high ISO advantage were there from the beginning, even though the TL2 received a f/w update at the same time, so I suspect this is a hardware generational difference, not a lack of attention from Leica. 

If I had to pick one it would be the CL for the reasons given, but both are fun cameras that take pictures of similar IQ. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

18 hours ago, JayBird said:

I was considering the TL2 with the Visoflex EVF. When I started to do a cost comparison, I found that the TL2 with the Visoflex was not much cheaper than the CL. I do believe that the CL has better controls than the TL2. Once you get used to the controls, you will find that you can make quite a few adjustments using the buttons and wheels.

I agree that when you start to combine the Visoflex with the TL2 body, you are pretty much dropping the same amount of cash for a CL. The controls actually do look fairly straightforward on the CL now that I've investigated further. There's a beautiful simplicity to this body. 

17 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I also have both CL and TL2. IMO they are complementary, each with their own strengths, and the choice between them comes down to how you take photographs. I prefer the TL2 styling, interface and ergonomics. I prefer the CL EVF and AF speed.

I don't know what updates the CL has received while the TL2 has missed out. Both have had f/w updates to allow use of the Fotos app, so I don't know what's missing. The CL's AF and high ISO advantage were there from the beginning, even though the TL2 received a f/w update at the same time, so I suspect this is a hardware generational difference, not a lack of attention from Leica. 

If I had to pick one it would be the CL for the reasons given, but both are fun cameras that take pictures of similar IQ. 

After further investigation as well reading everyone's very useful input in this thread, I believe I too am now leaning towards the CL. Both are beautiful cameras, but performance and practicality outweigh styling in my books. By the way, I checked out your Instagram and was quite impressed! 

Am 31.10.2018 um 21:27 schrieb wsself:

Hi

I owned the first version called Leica T and switched to the CL, mainly because of the build in EVF.

Knowing what I know today, the CL is the better choice for me. Operating this camera goes so much faster because of the 2 wheels than pushing buttons through menus while holding the camera in front of you.

I need a variety of different settings and with the user interface of the CXL I am always ready to shoot. An advantage that I did not see at first, but it is significant.

2 hours ago, wsself said:

After further investigation as well reading everyone's very useful input in this thread, I believe I too am now leaning towards the CL. Both are beautiful cameras, but performance and practicality outweigh styling in my books. By the way, I checked out your Instagram and was quite impressed! 

Thank you!

In answer to the original question, does the Leica T series focus on the eye , as it is a contrast detection system, where is the greatest contrast showing generally ? I’d say the eye. I took a series of dog portraits in low late sunlight, and the autofocus was infallibly on the eyes every time ! I hope that gives an answer. I am still using my T and about to purchase a 35mm Summilux . Although two generations old and a 2014 model, it’s DNG output gives stupendous results, bearing in mind it’s had three updates from Leica along the way.

• Like 1

UPDATE: So today I went to Downtown Camera here in Toronto and pulled the trigger on the Leica CL. I bought the 35mm Summilux 1.4 for my portraits and street shots. For my landscape, architecture, and street work, I bought the 11-23mm Super Vario Elmar 3.5-4.5. 

I'm going to admit to you all that I felt a touch of queasiness in my stomach in the moments that followed me dropping all that cash. I knew it was the right decision for me, but still, all that moulah right? When I got home though, I put the kit together and had a great feeling of pride come over me as I inspected the craftsmanship of the camera body and lenses. The packaging itself is a thing of beauty. I'm very much looking to the AL (After-Leica) period of my shooting career after having spent the past 20-some-odd years using systems by Minolta, Canon, and Sony. 

I'd like to say a HUGE THANKS to you all once again for your feedback. I'm looking forward to participating in this community moving forward, I can already tell that this is the right place to be. 

If any of you are interested, here's my BL (Before Leica) portfolio. 

- William

PS - Anyone out there looking to buy Sony gear??? 😋

Edited by wsself
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, wsself said:

UPDATE: So today I went to Downtown Camera here in Toronto and pulled the trigger on the Leica CL. I bought the 35mm Summilux 1.4 for my portraits and street shots. For my landscape, architecture, and street work, I bought the 11-23mm Super Vario Elmar 3.5-4.5. 

I'm going to admit to you all that I felt a touch of queasiness in my stomach in the moments that followed me dropping all that cash. I knew it was the right decision for me, but still, all that moulah right? When I got home though, I put the kit together and had a great feeling of pride come over me as I inspected the craftsmanship of the camera body and lenses. The packaging itself is a thing of beauty. I'm very much looking to the AL (After-Leica) period of my shooting career after having spent the past 20-some-odd years using systems by Minolta, Canon, and Sony. 

I'd like to say a HUGE THANKS to you all once again for your feedback. I'm looking forward to participating in this community moving forward, I can already tell that this is the right place to be. 

If any of you are interested, here's my BL (Before Leica) portfolio. 

- William

PS - Anyone out there looking to buy Sony gear??? 😋

You have a lovely and very interesting portfolio. You will be very happy here.  Looking forward to seeing your postings. (I'm a Q owner who lurks on these threads because of my admiration for participants' work here and for getting ideas; but, alas [the moulah thing, as you say] pretty close to buying a CL kit as well.)

15 hours ago, wsself said:

I'm going to admit to you all that I felt a touch of queasiness in my stomach in the moments that followed me dropping all that cash.... 

Good luck with your new CL! I hope you enjoy using it as much as I enjoy using mine. 

I remember when I paid for my first Leica some many years ago. It was literally all the money I had available at the time, and I was almost in pain on the way home wondering if I hadn't just made a terrible mistake, was I going to be able to pay the rent, would I be able to buy food ... and all that. I went out and shot my first roll of film with it that afternoon/evening, and processed it before I went to bed. The next day, I printed the entire roll to 5x7 prints. ... When they dried and I looked at them, I was almost crying with how beautiful the photos that old lens made looked.

I've never gotten queasy like that again. Leica gear always pays me back, and then some. :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bags27 said:

You have a lovely and very interesting portfolio. You will be very happy here.  Looking forward to seeing your postings. (I'm a Q owner who lurks on these threads because of my admiration for participants' work here and for getting ideas; but, alas [the moulah thing, as you say] pretty close to buying a CL kit as well.)

Hey, thanks for the kind words! I looked at the Q as well and it was very tempting indeed. 

2 hours ago, ramarren said:

Good luck with your new CL! I hope you enjoy using it as much as I enjoy using mine. 

I remember when I paid for my first Leica some many years ago. It was literally all the money I had available at the time, and I was almost in pain on the way home wondering if I hadn't just made a terrible mistake, was I going to be able to pay the rent, would I be able to buy food ... and all that. I went out and shot my first roll of film with it that afternoon/evening, and processed it before I went to bed. The next day, I printed the entire roll to 5x7 prints. ... When they dried and I looked at them, I was almost crying with how beautiful the photos that old lens made looked.

I've never gotten queasy like that again. Leica gear always pays me back, and then some. :D

Thanks very much! Sounds like you and Leica go way back! It is comforting to know that others have experienced the same post-purchase 'trauma'. Even more comforting to know that said 'trauma' immediately diminishes. 😁

• Like 1