Differences between the Elpro and the Macro Adaptor

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own the M lens Macro Adaptor, which is, in my experience, usable really only with a tripod. Can someone explain the difference between the new Elpro and the Macro Adaptor?  Related: can you use the Elpro to take pictures of items close up without having to use a tripod?  In advance, I appreciate the replies. 

It's a difference of principle : the M Macro adapter is an extender for (any, in theory) M lens, so mounting it the optical system does not change : only the minimum focus distance is reduced.

The Elpro (a longtime Leitz brand name… B)) is an additional lens (a couple of, indeed) to be mounted in front of a standard lens : so, the optical system does change, and the effect is the same : a shorter distances' range.

The Macro adapter, being extensible, gives a wider range of focusing, suppose the same focal mounted : you have a longer focus throw (lens + extender helicoid) than with the Elpro (lens focus only).  About the comparision of quality … an endless discussion can arise… :rolleyes:.. there are several combinations (with both devices) to achieve the same image ratio…

About the tripod need : imho is invariant from one device to the other : need for tripod is commanded by enlargement ratio : with any system, none can take a 1:1 macro with, say, 1/30s Handheld… but I have used the Macro Adapter at 1:2 around… at 1/125 - 1/250 with a decently unblurred image…  Of course, other Macro Devices are even more tripod - tied (one CANNOT use a bellows Handheld… :P) and those two Solutions are really light and transportable.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 2

I have no experience with the new Elpro but i can say it is a additional lens with no focus ring contrary to your macro adapter which has no lens as you know. As for needing a tripod, i have never used one with my macro adpter i must say. But i use it mainly with 90mm lenses for handheld shots like this: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1