Q2 to be announced in May?

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

https://leicarumors.com/2018/10/29/leica-q2-camera-rumors-more-megapixels-everything-else-remains-unchanged.aspx/

if it's to be announced at Photokina in May, it could well be 2020 before widely available. FWIW, I think Leica needs to first establish a larger sensor SL2 to compete with the Panasonic L mount that is also coming in May. Bringing out the Q2 before then might additionally cut into SL(2) sales. And, If Leica Rumors is accurate, this is sort of a dead end for the Q: with Leica just slipping in a larger sensor rather than making any structural improvements. No worries for me: I love the camera just as it is.

• Like 1

OMG

All they could think of to improve about the Q ... was more Megapixels and more digital zoom ?!?!?

Really ?!?!?

Issues I have with the Q:

- No way to disable electronic shutter. Electronic shutter introduces all kinds of problems, like rolling shutter/yello and no flash useage. Silently and unavoidably activating electronic shutter is an option for child toy cameras. Even cheap compact cameras from Malwart dont silently engage electronic shutter whenever they feel like it.

- Really if the shutter speed is too high just stop the lens down silently. You're already doing that for too close focusing, anyway. People shouldnt really pick a camera like this for shallow depth of field ... right ?

- Maximum speed of the leaf shutter doesnt increase if the aperture closes. Really the shutter dial should have up to 1/4000 sec which however includes the aperture gets stopped down.

- Inconsistent stops for controlling aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. It should all be third, half, or full stops. Ideally third stops, I guess.

- Superflous video mode button easily to press by accident. I dont need video at all in such a camera, so dont make an extra button for that (or allow to disable it).

- Easy to reach button with no meaningful purpose.

And really I would throw out some things:

- Digital zoom is a completely riddiculous "feature". Why do you omit something as photographically basic as disabling electronic shutter, but put something like digital zoom, which I never ever need, on such quick access ? Yikes. Useful function for such a button would be for example 'suppress flash'.

- Video isnt needed on such a camera. If at all, hide it in the menus.

- IBIS in such a camera is riddiculous, too. One can handhold 28mm up to 1/30 sec, can one not ? Especially since its also leaf shutter !

- I would also argue I wouldnt really miss macro on such a wide lens.

5 minutes ago, LichtUndDunkelheit said:

OMG

All they could think of to improve about the Q ... was more Megapixels and more digital zoom ?!?!?

Really ?!?!?

Issues I have with the Q:

- No way to disable electronic shutter. Electronic shutter introduces all kinds of problems, like rolling shutter/yello and no flash useage. Silently and unavoidably activating electronic shutter is an option for child toy cameras. Even cheap compact cameras from Malwart dont silently engage electronic shutter whenever they feel like it.

- Really if the shutter speed is too high just stop the lens down silently. You're already doing that for too close focusing, anyway. People shouldnt really pick a camera like this for shallow depth of field ... right ?

- Maximum speed of the leaf shutter doesnt increase if the aperture closes. Really the shutter dial should have up to 1/4000 sec which however includes the aperture gets stopped down.

- Inconsistent stops for controlling aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. It should all be third, half, or full stops. Ideally third stops, I guess.

- Superflous video mode button easily to press by accident. I dont need video at all in such a camera, so dont make an extra button for that (or allow to disable it).

- Easy to reach button with no meaningful purpose.

And really I would throw out some things:

- Digital zoom is a completely riddiculous "feature". Why do you omit something as photographically basic as disabling electronic shutter, but put something like digital zoom, which I never ever need, on such quick access ? Yikes. Useful function for such a button would be for example 'suppress flash'.

- Video isnt needed on such a camera. If at all, hide it in the menus.

- IBIS in such a camera is riddiculous, too. One can handhold 28mm up to 1/30 sec, can one not ? Especially since its also leaf shutter !

- I would also argue I wouldnt really miss macro on such a wide lens.

I agree with you about video (we should at least be able to completely turn off in settings, and alow that physical button to be used for something else).

Also agree about digital zoom - it's just as easy and more flexible to do cropping in post process (to any size).

However, I don't agree about macro as I find it very fun and useful, and also IBIS (can be completely turned off in menu already, so what's the problem)?

My top wishes for new Q would be updated sensor (why not if possible to improve), more pixels is fine as well, weatherproof should be a given, and also improved buffer (continuous mode shooting quickly exposes deficiency with current buffer size/performance).

• Like 1

Yes I love IBIS and Macro

IBIS means I can shoot night landscapes at lower than 1/30th shutter speed.

Macro is fun for wacky portrait stuff

ISO 12,500, only a touch slower at 1/25th of a second - but IBIS just helps..

L1070249 by dancook1982, on Flickr

I too would like sensor, weatherproof, buffer upgrades :)

Edited by dancook
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Also not sure what type of wifi chip is in current Q - if the Leica app is really going to be useful (especially for reliably moving large files to the phone), than wifi implementation should be updated to best available. Maybe current issues are not due to hardware at all and can all be improved in firmware, but either way - this is something Leica needs to improve.

I don’t just want more pixels, I want a back-side illuminated sensor like Sony and Nikon use which gives better low light and shadow performance. A larger / faster buffer would be very nice. The Q is painfully quick to fill up when taking action shots. Weather sealing would give some peace of mind when out on rainy days. 

Love always having macro mode even though its 28mm, it’s very convenient. Re-purposing the video button would be a great delighter. Adding a screw socket for the shutter button would greatly improve my low shutter speed images without having to use my iphone. So far FOTOS is not cutting it  

Its nice to wish, but truthfully I’m really happy with the Q now including all its quirks and limitations. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, ynp said:

I wish Leica did a tele adapter for the 28mm lens. 

It seems unlikely because of Leica's high standards and the exceptionally complex engineering an extender for a wide angle. In the end at best you would have an oversize, inferior (typically ~39mm or ~56mm) lens which will cost more than a so-called prime.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, pico said:

It seems unlikely because Leica standards and the exceptionally complex engineering an extender for a wide angle. In the end at best you would have an inferior ~39mm or ~56mm lens which will cost more than a so-called prime.

Pico,

I don’t know if it’s even possible with the Q lens  

My friend is using his Ricoh GR Digital II with the tele adapter (  GT-1 1.43x Tele Converter) maybe / most probably it is not up to Leica standards  

I will be prepared to pay around $1000.00 or more if there is a solution to shoot the Q as a real travel camera. For me the angle of view of 40mm is perfect and I have six 40mm M and Ltm lenses. In my opinion, 40mm is wide enough for environmental portraits and it won’t distort the faces  like an old IPhone. The new IPhones are trying to compute a 50mm lens look imitation for a reason. Big noses on ladies portraits look silly and cruel. A sharp 38-42 mm. telephoto conversion lens with even effective f2.4 will be absolutely fantastic and it will allow to have a true travel camera which is not cruel to the human face. 

Yevgeny 

Edited by ynp
Typos

Given the outstanding quality of the Q lens, especially at f1.7, putting any additional glass in front of it inevitably involves trade-offs in quality. I also feel that the idea of zoom conversion lenses misses the whole point of the Q. It is what it is and it does it exceptionally well. It is a fine travel camera in its own right and on its own terms. Given a reasonable distance between camera and subject there is no facial distortion at 28mm and the image can be cropped very satisfactorily. If you want a travel camera with a zoom lens there is the CL with the 18-56mm. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tgdinamo said:

Which other brand has built in Sumilux 1.7 that works in AF? Because that's really what separates the Q from everything else out there.

Really ? I thought the good build quality and image quality would be the primary decisive factor over the Sony competition.

Personally I dont care if the lens is f2 or f1.7.

What really surprises me is by the way that Sony still hasnt made a RX<n> with a curved sensor. Since apparently this simplifies making very bright but high quality glas.

1 minute ago, LichtUndDunkelheit said:

Really ? I thought the good build quality and image quality would be the primary decisive factor over the Sony competition.

Personally I dont care if the lens is f2 or f1.7.

What really surprises me is by the way that Sony still hasnt made a RX<n> with a curved sensor. Since apparently this simplifies making very bright but high quality glas.

Great build and image quality are primary decisive factors and that's exactly what separates the Q from competition so I"m not sure where we are disagreeing or what you are asking?

Image quality in photography is primarily impacted by the quality of the lens on the camera (at least in my experience of 40 or so years in this hobby), which is where Sumilux stands head and shoulders above any other lens I have ever used (as far as high quality lenses my previous experience is primarily with Canon L lenses which are also very nice, but Sumilux is better, even compared to my long time personal favorite Canon EF 35mm 1.4L).

As far as build quality, Q is very nicely built (although should be weatherproof - that's my only complaint).

1 hour ago, tgdinamo said:

Which other brand has built in Sumilux 1.7 that works in AF? Because that's really what separates the Q from everything else out there.

You are right. Only Leica has a fixed AF lens  with an aperture of f1.7. It’s  a great camera, light fast and the build quality is Leica. No other company has anything similar. I agree. 

I have my M9 with several 35-40mm lenses and because Leica would not make an AF 2/35mm camera, I use my M9 instead for travel

I was tempted by  a fixed lens Sony, but it’s so uncomfortable in my hands, I ideally I would like to have a camera like the Q or Konica Hexar AF.,  the  right size and build quality with a less wide lens. There is nothing on the market now.  

Edited by ynp
  • Like 1

Well, this is good news; another product cycle I get to sit out. Not biting on a first-gen EOS R, either. I've said it before; the digital camera market is maturing and the features race slowing down. It's like a Big Gulp; after a while, they can only make it bigger, not better.

• Like 1