Lightweight M10

cmod

The M (of any kind) plus a lens or two in a small bag is *pretty* easy to carry. I have been looking at Leica's point and shoots on the theory that a pocketable camera would be useful, but the truth is that most of the places I go to take pictures I can take the M. Places I just happen to be are rarely very photogenic, so I'm just not certain it's worth it. The D-Lux cameras look interesting though as do the X1 and X2s. I suspect the X's would be lighter but a bit bulky and the D-Lux's (especially the older ones) might be low resolution, though the 10MP on my old M8 is still pretty good. Might get around to trying one. 

On 10/31/2018 at 7:17 AM, magixaxeman said:

Being disabled the lighter the better for me and I'd welcome a model with Aluminium top & bottom plates, but for now I use a half case that allows me to dispense with the M10's bottom plate, slightly lightening the load.

You'll have to walk me through how removing the bottom plate - but then adding the weight of a half-case - reduces the total weight.

M10 baseplate weighs 48 grams - what does the half-case weigh by itself?

The half-case makers seem to be a bit "cagey" about listing the product (as opposed to the shipping) weights, but I see Amazon lists the weight of the Mega Gear TL half-case as 54 grams (1.92 ounces).

Edited by adan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 Summarit (or Summicron) + 90 macro elmar f4 make a super light travel set up - or just a collapsible 50 Elmar M.  No half case.  I carry the camera across the body with a small pouch for spare lens if I'm carrying one.  Waterproof bag in the backpack if the weather turns.

Works for me - and FWIW I DIDN'T find the CL to be significantly lighter or smaller in real world use. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 5:18 PM, Alex U. said:

Please no S . . .

Hard to refrain but i can try. I would welcome a lighter M as well. Curiously enough my film Ms were lighter than all my SLRs in the past whereas my M240 is now my heavier camera compared to my (fill in blank) A7s mod let alone my digital CL and other APS cameras. Not sure if the new Canon and Nikon mirrorless are lighter though.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 17 Minuten schrieb lct:

Hard to refrain but i can try. I would welcome a lighter M as well. Curiously enough my film Ms were lighter than all my SLRs in the past whereas my M240 is now my heavier camera compared to my (fill in blank) A7s mod let alone my digital CL and other APS cameras. Not sure if the new Canon and Nikon mirrorless are lighter though.

Well, probably the newly announced cameras are a bit lighter (compared to DSLR) but the new glass seems to be heavier (but better) than the previous one. All in all the new cameras are not lighter (BUT MUCH MORE MODERN 🙂 ). I still love my (our) M10.

Edited by Alex U.
I added the „R“ in the word „modern“. I hate misspellings.
  • Thanks 1

When i first picked up my M10 I thought it was heavier than my Canon's. I agree the M10 M10-D (both claim to be 660g) are an extremely dense design. My digital Canon's: 5D, 5D II and 5Ds all weigh more as well as my film EOS 1V with each weighing over 930g. I'm unsure why removing the LCD on the M10-D does not lower the weight ... Will place on scale tonight

On 11/1/2018 at 3:19 PM, adan said:

You'll have to walk me through how removing the bottom plate - but then adding the weight of a half-case - reduces the total weight.

M10 baseplate weighs 48 grams - what does the half-case weigh by itself?

The half-case makers seem to be a bit "cagey" about listing the product (as opposed to the shipping) weights, but I see Amazon lists the weight of the Mega Gear TL half-case as 54 grams (1.92 ounces).

Of course your quite correct, the half case with brass mounting screw comes in at 68gr, 20 gr more than the base plate but the extra grip it and the "thumbie" give me makes it feel lighter as its so much easier to hold now, in fact I can balance it with my thumb in the rest and the bottom right corner of the camera resting in my palm without gripping it at all.

• Thanks 1

I typically stick with light lens if I want to hike lighter. If I really want to go light I pull out my Fuji Xpro 2 or XE2 with F2 lenses, probably half the weight with 95% of the image quality. I am surprised to find I still use my Nikon D800 and Fuji Cameras. They all have their place. If I am in town and want nothing, I still carry my C-Lux. 

On 11/2/2018 at 3:18 PM, HELM said:

When i first picked up my M10 I thought it was heavier than my Canon's. I agree the M10 M10-D (both claim to be 660g) are an extremely dense design. My digital Canon's: 5D, 5D II and 5Ds all weigh more as well as my film EOS 1V with each weighing over 930g. I'm unsure why removing the LCD on the M10-D does not lower the weight ... Will place on scale tonight

The removed the LCD, which in itself barely weighs anything, and had to cover up the part where the LCD was with more metal.