Stealth3kpl

Negative Lab Pro. C41 Digital Conversion in Lightroom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Nick Bedford said:

I've tried to use this on negatives I've scanned with the Pakon F135+ in raw mode and I have never been able to come close to those Pakon results (the default NLP result is way off with severe green colour casts). Frankly, I've probably wiped a year off my life from self-induced stress relating to trying to DSLR scan C41 negatives myself lol. How the heck did they ever get them to print in the darkroom?! I thought my software engineering background would give me a head start but nope.

I wish Kodak would produce a new higher-resolution Pakon and be done with it.

/rant

Did you try with doing WB first using the unexposed part of the negative (orange cast)? Also a proper daylight balanced light table helps for initial DSLR scan.

Having said that, I have noticed that my results are not consistent for all the negatives. Some are harder to get right. Fortunately they are fewer. Most came out close to that of Plustek scanner output. I do share your frustration though. This is why I am shooting more Ektachrome now than Ektar. 

14 hours ago, Nick Bedford said:

Frankly, I've probably wiped a year off my life from self-induced stress relating to trying to DSLR scan C41 negatives myself lol. How the heck did they ever get them to print in the darkroom?!
/rant

The orange mask is designed to work with color papers...that is the only reason color negative film is orange in the first place. You could just as easily do a negative film which had a clear base and natural colors on inversion (in fact, Rollei did have a film like this at one point, though I never tried it), but they it would not work at all with the color darkroom. I imagine if digital cameras were not a thing, but scanners were, Kodak would have offered films both scanning and optical printing...

19 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

The orange mask is designed to work with color papers...that is the only reason color negative film is orange in the first place.

No and yes. The orange mask is used to suppress unwanted colour effects of the magenta dye in the negative (thus "no"). Using an orange mask, the image becomes crispier (less grey) in colour. It can be used in colour negatives since the orange mask can be filtered out in the second step, i.e. when making the positiv print (thus "yes"). For scanners this is done with the white balance. Colour slides cannot be masked since there is no intermediate step like with negatives.

19 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

You could just as easily do a negative film which had a clear base and natural colors on inversion

In general not, due to the properties of the magenta dye. For details see e.g. Hunt (2004): the reproduction of colour, page 244.

Hermann-Josef

5 hours ago, Jossie said:

No and yes. The orange mask is used to suppress unwanted colour effects of the magenta dye in the negative (thus "no"). Using an orange mask, the image becomes crispier (less grey) in colour. It can be used in colour negatives since the orange mask can be filtered out in the second step, i.e. when making the positiv print (thus "yes"). For scanners this is done with the white balance. Colour slides cannot be masked since there is no intermediate step like with negatives.

In general not, due to the properties of the magenta dye. For details see e.g. Hunt (2004): the reproduction of colour, page 244.

Hermann-Josef

Thank you for correcting me! I looked into this and see it is more complicated than I realized. I thought it was due to the possible range of sensitivity in the papers, rather than the efficiency of the dyes.