geetee1972

Major new Leica store in London

I randomly met a chap this week who is working on fitting out a brand new shop in London that is going to focus its trade on Leica, medium format and large format equipment. The shop is being opened by the owner of Aperture, will stock both new and second hand equipment and be located somewhere around the British Museum (which is of course where The Classic Camera is located as well as The Camera Museum, which is owned by the brother of Aperture). I was told the specific location but cannot recall it.

The shop fit includes knocking two existing units into one, so the size of the shop will be substantial. I was also told that the Leica Mayfair store is closing down (which seems odd as they only just finished refitting it), and will be relocated to somewhere around Oxford St, with a remit of taking the brand into a more popular domain - they want to emulate Apple in brand position and will be reducing price - or at least launching more reasonably priced products - in support of this.

I can't verify any of this but the I spent a few days talking to this chap (we were staying in the same Youth Hostel), and he seemed pretty confident in his facts. I've no reason to doubt the new shop, so this should be exciting news for Leica customers in London and the UK but less so for existing Leica retailers. I have no idea if the other news about Leica Mayfair is true or not though.,

Aperture website confirms a new store to open, which I was told will be near Newman Street, while Leica's own shop will be in Duke Street.

Perhaps Leica UK have the need for a larger showroom to display forthcoming 'L mount' partners' hardware , i.e., Panasonic and Sigma 'L' wares, all under one roof. And potential customers are more likely to wander into the store 'just off Oxford Street' than visit the existing Bruton Place, Mayfair premises. 

dunk  

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Not just a new Aperture store but it says on their website that they are going to be official Leica stockists (whereas previously they've only sold used gear).

Good for them but I wonder with Leica moving to Oxford street and the other London Leica dealers, just how many Leica shops can the market sustain?

Bruton Place always seemed a very odd choice for a Leica store, hidden away with no real passing footfall.

^^^^  With the 'L mount' revolution looming, and in future, 'booming' :)  … there'll likely be room for all the London Leica dealers. Bruton Place was not such an 'odd choice' but it's likely outgrown its original capacity. Apart from the showroom and cafeteria, it's a Leica Akademie and Leica Service Centre … in fact it's a most interesting 'all things Leica' hub. I've attended lots of their events over the years. 

dunk 

On 10/29/2018 at 6:36 PM, microview said:

Aperture website confirms a new store to open, which I was told will be near Newman Street, while Leica's own shop will be in Duke Street.

Awsome, right next to Soho Sq Gardens, where I have stayed. 

Fantastic location, near Tottenham Court Road Station.

Where Aperture is now, there was another camera store (Nikon mostly I think) down the street heading towards Oxford St. I was recently told by a client that the area used be the center for advertising firms in London, which I suppose is the reason for lots of legacy stores and Kodak ads thereabouts. Anyway good news, bought 40mm Leica summicron from them, nice people there.. Wish them luck. And yes the Leica shop was really out of the way.

BTW, if you want to see what a Leica store should look at, go to the LA store if you are even in LA. My understanding is that this store is owned by Leica, unlike so many others that are own individually and they but in what's necessary to be Leica Store.