Australian visiting Europe in December 2018

adespen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am travelling to Europe with my wife as part of tracing my heritage tour Dec 14 to Jan 8.

Visiting Prague. Vienna, Salzburg, Düsseldorf (Dülken), Amsterdam and Berlin.

Any forum members wanting to meet and greet?

any advice on places to must see?

cheers Ade

Hi Ade, with the listed cities as the main route you can add easily Munich, Frankfurt, Gent/Bruegge, Rotterdam, Hamburg especially if you  travel by train. Central Europe is full of special (history, architecture, museums) cities/places that it is difficult to make proposals w/o knowing your interests. If the route is not fixed then to start withRoma, Milano, Vienna, etc. is a great option and can be done by train too. Lisboa, Andalusia, Madrid, Barcelona need to be mentioned too.

Adespens choice is a good route.

Vienna and Prague should be in the top list.

Barcelona is nice but a little far from the other cities. Be careful. A hotspot for pocket pickers (rome too and viennas Christkindl market) 

Rome is historical and for photographers a must see.

Düsseldorf? Is there any interesting Tourist spot? ;))

6 minutes ago, Reini said:

Adespens choice is a good route.

Vienna and Prague should be in the top list.

Barcelona is nice but a little far from the other cities. Be careful. A hotspot for pocket pickers (rome too and viennas Christkindl market) 

Rome is historical and for photographers a must see.

Düsseldorf? Is there any interesting Tourist spot? ;))

There must be some Joseph Beuys remnants in Düsseldorf which make it worth visiting.

• Thanks 1

Skip Düsseldorf. I would recommend Regensburg on your way from Salzburg to Amsterdam. Cozy, medium-sized typical german town with completely preserved, highly interesting medieval inner-city (world heritage), easy access by foot and much better than bigger cities like Munich (i am from Munich myself if this might tell you something 😉)

I think an Australian dont't need a Zoo....has it in front of the Door. 😜

Or in the house. Spiders in Bathroom, Wombats and Krokodiles in Garden, Dangerous Magpies, etc...

My Sister in Law lifes in Australia. She can tell a lot of Stories like this.
She comes in Winter with her Husband to go skiing in Europe. No Monsters....hehe

Edited by Reini
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lightwrangler said:

Skip Düsseldorf. I would recommend Regensburg on your way from Salzburg to Amsterdam. Cozy, medium-sized typical german town with completely preserved, highly interesting medieval inner-city (world heritage), easy access by foot and much better than bigger cities like Munich (i am from Munich myself if this might tell you something 😉)

Thanks my aim is to use Dusseldorf as an overnight stopping point on the way to Dülken

Hi Ade, I am from Melbourne as well and we go to Europe every year! Last year we did a "German/Austria" trip and visited all those cities in your list except for Dusseldorf. I would love to meet up with you except that we will be doing Italy, France, and Spain this year and will not be in any of the cities you have mentioned. Also, our itinerary is already pretty concrete, restaurants, hotels, and flights have all been booked and paid for! 

I wasn't a real fan of Berlin. Many people love it for its modernism and culture, but to me it seems as if most of old Berlin was bombed out during the war, and everything that you see is new. If you go at that time of the year, make sure you go to the Christmas Markets although I felt that the Christmas Markets in Vienna were much better. 

Most tourist guide books will tell you where to go in Vienna and Prague, so I won't repeat all that advice here. You will have a great time just doing what the guide books tell you to do. Most likely you won't even have enough time to do that. 

I loved Salzburg. At that time of the year, it will be extremely cold and snowed over. My wife suggested that we do a "Sound of Music" tour. I initially pooh-pooh'ed the idea but since we had spare time, why not. It was actually one of my highlights of Salzburg. You get taken to all these small towns you would otherwise not see, and the scenery is truly breathtaking. I totally recommend it. 

Another thing not to miss is the train between Prague and Vienna. Trains are just a better way to travel than bus, and with the train cutting through the Czech and Austrian countryside, you will see how people really live. Not so well (in Czechoslovakia) and very tidily (in Austria and Germany). I felt that Prague was full of petty criminals out to rip you off and was glad to get back to a German speaking country. They're just more honest. 

• Thanks 1