006 Sensor Replacement

Deliberate1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 006 is in the hands of Leica for sensor evaluation for corrosion, and possible replacement. I recall that the first M9 sensors that failed were replaced with the original sensor design. Can anyone advise if the 006 sensors are being replaced with a similar, upgraded design.

Cheers.

David

Edited by Deliberate1

8 minutes ago, Deliberate1 said:

My 006 is in the hands of Leica for sensor evaluation for corrosion, and possible replacement. I recall that the first M9 sensors that failed were replaced with the original sensor design. Can anyone advise if the 006 sensors are being replaced with a similar, upgraded design.

Cheers.

David

Deja vu... 

I haven’t heard anything new and suggest that you ask Leica directly.  Or, I bet the folks at Leica Miami would know.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

The sensor of my S2 was corroded and I asked Leica in NJ if the replaced sensor was going to be from the same generation. They confirmed to me that corroded sensor on the S are replaced with the same generation of sensor. Leica did not create an improved sensor like they have done for the M9 and MM. So, if you get the sensor replaced on the S, you only get few years before it will potentially get corroded again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Neimad said:

The sensor of my S2 was corroded and I asked Leica in NJ if the replaced sensor was going to be from the same generation. They confirmed to me that corroded sensor on the S are replaced with the same generation of sensor. Leica did not create an improved sensor like they have done for the M9 and MM. So, if you get the sensor replaced on the S, you only get few years before it will potentially get corroded again.

I routinely insure all my gear (even though I don’t own an S) to cover everything outside warranty, but I think anyone buying into the S system would have to be foolhardy ... or wealthy.... to not do the same.

Jeff

12 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I routinely insure all my gear (even though I don’t own an S) to cover everything outside warranty, but I think anyone buying into the S system would have to be foolhardy ... or wealthy.... to not do the same.

Jeff

Jeff, like you, I insure all my gear with a rider attached to my home owner's policy. While I confess that I have not read the fine print, I have no expectation that it would cover failures attributed to design or manufacture, any more than my auto insurance would indemnify for a poorly crafted transmission. Typically, coverage is not triggered unless there is an "occurrence" within the contemplation of the policy definitions, i.e.  loss, theft, repatriation by Leica for taking criminally bad images, etc.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, Deliberate1 said:

Jeff, like you, I insure all my gear with a rider attached to my home owner's policy. While I confess that I have not read the fine print, I have no expectation that it would cover failures attributed to design or manufacture, any more than my auto insurance would indemnify for a poorly crafted transmission. Typically, coverage is not triggered unless there is an "occurrence" within the contemplation of the policy definitions, i.e.  loss, theft, repatriation by Leica for taking criminally bad images, etc.

Mine does not exclude stupidity or lack of competence, on my part or the manufacturer’s.  And yes, I’ve read the fine print and discussed with my agent.  The dollar level of my camera gear is peanuts within the high end art and collectible market that the broader policy pool encompasses.  I’m aware, however, that policies vary greatly by company, location and individual circumstances; always wise to research.

Jeff

I, too, would agree with Deliberate1 on this, that the likelihood of homeowner's insurance policy language extending coverage for a defect in manufacture  of a camera sensor would be highly unusual.  Jeff - when you have a moment and if you care to- please share the policy language. Thanks, Rob 

No thanks, I don’t care to.  My premium collections policy is exceptional and has never presented problems or controversy, even for far more costly items.  If the item fails, it fails.  Of course warranty protection is considered first. But I should learn to avoid these discussions; it’s not a debate.

Jeff

No not a debate, a conversation.

Your coverage is exceptional, and I'd think most do not have that coverage - it is rarely a covered event in the typical homeowner's policy.  (And, if it were, one would probably be foolish to make a $5000 claim as one would likely be dropped from coverage, or renewal premiums would be raised for the next 3 years!)

In south Florida, I could not get Chubb to write a policy for me.  I could not get any of the local carriers to cover camera gear hazards (other than theft)!  I could not get a special rider, either. With lots of hurricanes, the policies are pretty pricey and the carriers are pretty lousy with their coverages, i.e. little competition in the marketplace.

Edited by ropo54

As noted, mine is a separate high end collections policy, certainly not standard home coverage.  It includes full replacement value, no deductible, worldwide for virtually all situations outside warranty.  I’m judicious with use, but there hasn’t been a worry of being dropped, nor an issue with significant premium increases, since coverage from the early 80’s.  

Jeff

8 hours ago, Jeff S said:

As noted, mine is a separate high end collections policy, certainly not standard home coverage.  It includes full replacement value, no deductible, worldwide for virtually all situations outside warranty.  I’m judicious with use, but there hasn’t been a worry of being dropped, nor an issue with significant premium increases, since coverage from the early 80’s.  

Jeff

Which company have you used, and if you are willing, can you share the premium you pay for a S body and/or the times you have used it judiciously?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, AlanD said:

Which sensor is corrosion free?  Is there a way to figure out when they introduced the upgrade?

Alan, I cannot answer your question with hard facts. I do know that my M9 was repaired with the v2 version, but that was installed perhaps about a year ago - late in the cycle. I got my camera in just before the submission deadline which I think was at the end of August , 2017.  I recall reading that the early M9 replacements were not made with the upgraded component.  I would hope that all the ones replaced in the S line were the new generation. But, to my knowledge, Leica has issued no deadline as with the M9 CCD replacement program. Are you asking because you have an S that was repaired?

David

I use CHUBB and they have always been diligent and have never questioned a claim.

Last February, had two S007 totaled by a rogue wave in the Antarctic and they paid for complete reconstruction.

Had Leica not been able to fix, CHUBB would have bought two new ones for me.

Recommend them to everyone without reservation...

Albert 😃

Chubb and AIG (Private Client Group) are both superb.  As noted, I’ve used both over many decades, not just for photo gear, but for my vintage photo and book collections as well as other expensive items.  Never a problem with either one.  Of course specific policies and individual circumstances vary.  And it helps to have a great agent as well.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

2 hours ago, albertknappmd said:

I use CHUBB and they have always been diligent and have never questioned a claim.

Last February, had two S007 totaled by a rogue wave in the Antarctic and they paid for complete reconstruction.

Had Leica not been able to fix, CHUBB would have bought two new ones for me.

Recommend them to everyone without reservation...

Albert 😃

Minor point, but CHUBB is not an acronym or abbreviation like AIG (American International Group); the name derives from the founder, Thomas Chubb.  The all-caps version is part of the trademarked logo; using it is akin to using the Leica script every time we reference the company.

Jeff