tuxfan1

no under- / overexposure warning in A/S/P-mode

hello,

i own the CL only for a few days now.

when i use the cl in A-, S- or P-auto mode i get no under-/overexposure warning (shutterspeed-/aperture-display turns from white to red) when the lowest or highest aperture value combined with the set shutter speed and iso (iso-mode in auto) will result in under or overexposure (see discription on page 52/53). the displayed values are allways shown in white when i press the shutter botton to the first pressure point. I use a tl-lens f2/35. i made a camera-reset, but the problem remains.

what is wrong? Is it the firmwareversion 2.1? is it a technical defect or is it me not understanding the camera? what causes the problem?

please excuse my bad english

Jo

Welcome Jo ! Try selecting  an appropriate ISO setting.  You should now see a scale in your finder in bottom centre. Press Info to show or hide this information. With your setting, Auto-ISO is always trying to give you a correct exposure.

vor einer Stunde schrieb wda:

Welcome Jo ! Try selecting  an appropriate ISO setting.  You should now see a scale in your finder in bottom centre. Press Info to show or hide this information. With your setting, Auto-ISO is always trying to give you a correct exposure.

You are right, but I limited Auto-ISO to 800 and max. shutter-time to f/(2/3).  When I press the shutter button in A-mode in the dark to the first pressure point the display shows me a very dark picture and it is definitely underexposured (Iso shows 800, shutter speed 1/50 and aperture f2). In this case i think the aperture- and shutterspeed-display should turn from white to red (warning underexposure) but it stays white.

Can anyone with FW 2.1 try the above given example, just to make me shure that it is not a firmware problem in general.

The dark view on the half-press of the shutter release is the underexposure warning. An overly bright view would be the overexposure warning. Leica doesn't do the "change the LCD readout color" or flashing thing that other camera brands do. This is their way of subtly informing you that you're at the range limits in AutoISO. 

I first encountered this behavior with the Leica SL. Now that I'm used to it, it seems normal to me. Just a half press on the shutter release lets me know if I'm at a range limit, and then I have to do exactly what I'd do on other cameras: set a fixed ISO and/or go to manual exposure to get the correct results. 

Thank's ramarren!

Now I can assume that my camera is technically in order. I am experienced enough to live with that. The reason why I asked is Leicas CL-Manual. On page 52 of the english one Leica writes e.g. for the A-Mode (same is written for P- and S-Mode):

"Taking a picture
▸ Select the desired aperture value with the right setting wheel
▸ Press the shutter button to the first pressure point
Both the set aperture value and the automatically calculated
shutter speed are displayed in white. Both values will be displayed
in red if the fastest or slowest shutter speed combined with the set
aperture will result in under or overexposure."

What is wrong? Leicas manual or Leicas firmware?

8 minutes ago, tuxfan1 said:

Thank's ramarren!

Now I can assume that my camera is technically in order. I am experienced enough to live with that. The reason why I asked is Leicas CL-Manual. On page 52 of the english one Leica writes e.g. for the A-Mode (same is written for P- and S-Mode):

"Taking a picture
▸ Select the desired aperture value with the right setting wheel
▸ Press the shutter button to the first pressure point
Both the set aperture value and the automatically calculated
shutter speed are displayed in white. Both values will be displayed
in red if the fastest or slowest shutter speed combined with the set
aperture will result in under or overexposure."

What is wrong? Leicas manual or Leicas firmware?

The manual information can become out of date in places as firmware updates change or modify functions.

On 10/27/2018 at 1:03 PM, tuxfan1 said:

[...] I use a tl-lens f2/35 [...]

Are you sure you were using a TL lens? Just asking as what you're describing is what i got with M lenses including 35/2. I have no experience with TL lenses though.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb lct:

Are you sure you were using a TL lens? Just asking as what you're describing is what i got with M lenses including 35/2. I have no experience with TL lenses though.

I made a mistake. It is a Summicron-TL 1:23/f2  which I use alongside to my old M-Lenses.