Help Diagnosing Problem in M8.2

Boomtime

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey My M8.2 has started having an issue where it will periodically start looping the shutter cocking.  If I take the battery out the camera will function normally again for a bit then eventually the issues arises again... I'm keeping my fingers crossed its a simple solution and not a RIP issue been loving the B&W photos it produces.  

I've linked a video to give you an idea of what I am talking about; any guidance would be greatly appreciated in this situation.

http://tinypic.com/r/vq31n8/9

4 minutes ago, Ernstk said:

Hi

Unfortunately the video doesn't seem to be viewable.

Ernst

Really...I've clicked the link to double check and it is playing for me video is a bit stretched but viewable...could someone else comment and let me know if its working fine or should I re-upload to a new place? 

I can view the video clip okay although it needs Flash player.

My M8 doesn't have this problem but I recall threads some years ago where a similar behaviour of continuous re-cocking was discussed.  The cause turned out to be a partially depleted battery; as you probably already know, the M8 is quite fussy about how much charge its battery has and will misbehave if the battery voltage starts to drop when its capacity reduces.  I have always changed batteries when the first battery bar goes out and it's served me well.

The re-cocking problem was caused when the battery didn't have quite enough power to fully cock the shutter and report that it was cocked so the system would keep trying to cock it over and over.  My advice is to try a freshly charged battery to see whether that stops it.  Even taking a depleted battery out to stop the re-cocking and putting it back in will allow the battery to recover a little and deliver slightly more voltage at its terminals because its a chemical reaction and this might be enough for the system to report correctly that the shutter is cocked but if you shoot again it's likely to repeat the re-cocking.

Pete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2018 at 1:26 AM, farnz said:

I can view the video clip okay although it needs Flash player.

My M8 doesn't have this problem but I recall threads some years ago where a similar behaviour of continuous re-cocking was discussed.  The cause turned out to be a partially depleted battery; as you probably already know, the M8 is quite fussy about how much charge its battery has and will misbehave if the battery voltage starts to drop when its capacity reduces.  I have always changed batteries when the first battery bar goes out and it's served me well.

The re-cocking problem was caused when the battery didn't have quite enough power to fully cock the shutter and report that it was cocked so the system would keep trying to cock it over and over.  My advice is to try a freshly charged battery to see whether that stops it.  Even taking a depleted battery out to stop the re-cocking and putting it back in will allow the battery to recover a little and deliver slightly more voltage at its terminals because its a chemical reaction and this might be enough for the system to report correctly that the shutter is cocked but if you shoot again it's likely to repeat the re-cocking.

Pete.

Thank you, Pete!

I am having this issue with my M8.2 and even today I went and met a Leika repairer In London ( Apature ) he did not have an answer. glad I got your explanation. and thanks and I see what I can do.

Thanks, BOOMTIME for bringing this point here. It was very helpful.

Cheers. everyone,

Cyril.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 2:00 PM, Boomtime said:

Lourens

Did you send your camera to leica or used a third party repair service?

There are no third party repair services for digital Leicas (apart from things like rangefinder adjustment}