LX100 II review

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is almost certainly the next Leica DL, to replace the current 109, gets a good review in Amateur Photographer. The question is, is it enough to upgrade from the 109, or should you push on up to the CL/TL2 or Q, or just stick with what you have?

Edited by Le Chef

« The effective resolution is 17 million pixels in 4:3 crop, and the sensor does away with an optical low pass filter, which should see it render slightly sharper, more detailed images at the possible expense of image artefacts such as false colour moiré and maze-like aliasing ».

Should... Possible... Not sure that Amateur Photographer has any experience with this camera.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

Well they've been testing it for about 3 months, and as publication they've been around almost since the birth of photography. So I'm guessing they know what they're doing.

Then why "should" they see more detailed images? Did they see them or not? Why don't they show them? 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

I guess you know best - why don’t you tell Amateur Photographer how to do camera reviews? I’m sure they would welcome your professional expertise.

I know nothing but they hardly prove that they know better than i do on this camera. YMMV.

AP are no better or worse at reviewing cameras as any other professional reviewer.   I like reviews where the reviewer has used the camera in a number of different scenarios and weather conditions and can provide a warts and all summary.  I definitely shun reviews where there is an established interest to the manufacturer, distributor or dealer.

AP and other publications should not be affected by any of these, but of course manufacturers and distributors spend a lot of cash on advertising.......just saying, nothing implied.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Much as I like my Leica Ms, what is actually different between a type 109 and an LX100. It looks like the EXACT same camera. Are there menu differences or some other difference between the two cameras? I have to admit I'm looking for a small pocket camera and the LX100 (or the LX100 II) are pretty tempting. It has a Leica lens and it seems to have Leica build quality (not surprising since it's essentially a sort of joint venture right?). 

Are there reasons (beyond the red dot) to prefer the Leica version? I'm not trying to troll anyone here, I really want to know because I'm thinking seriously of buying one.

The nearest Leica support is in New Jersey. My Leica dealer even shut down here in Atlanta a few years ago. Plus I tend to buy used, so support really isn't much of an benefit. Also I tend not to resell. I have pride of ownership in the Leica Ms, but I'm not sure that's enough if they are completely identical. Either way you're still getting the Leica lens right?

Or are there differences? I'm also considering an X1 or X2 on the basis of yes they're a little bigger but supposedly about the same weight.

They are not completely identical. Never been since Digilux 1 / Pana LC5 in 2002. Out of camera colors are not the same. Significant difference for jpeg users but not for raw users though. Ergonomics are not the same either. I much prefer the hand grip and thumb support of the LX100 personally also its ever-ready case but it is a matter of tastes obviously. YMMV.

Ok, I see. The Lumix has a grip in front and a slightly different shape for the thumbrest in back and all the buttons are a different shape. 

The LX100 II has a touchscreen and more resolution but is basically the same camera otherwise. Since Leica seems to have discontinued the X1 and X2, I'm guessing there will be a later version of the D-Lux based on the new LX100 II ... eventually. This kind of reminds me of the old Leica/Minolta CL. Basically a Minolta camera with Leica design influence and a Leica lens mount and Leica designed lenses. This is a Panasonic camera with Leica design influence with a Leica designed fixed lens. Pretty close to the same size too. The control layout seems very Leica like, which is why it works as a Leica.

Looks like a great camera, in any of the three versions (I, II, or 109).

Am 8.11.2018 um 19:18 schrieb carbon_dragon:

Ok, so the same menus, different color science for the jpegs, and how are the ergonomics different? The grip is different? 

No - the menus are not 100% the same - the LX even has more options which are not available at the 109 - e.g. remote control of external flash units. Here the LX does have more options/possibilities. Leica has "cleaned up" the features a little bit and swiped out features which are not relevant for the target group. You can download the manuals of both cameras and compare them is needed.

A plus argument for the 109 at least in Europe is the warranty time of 3 years compared to LX (which has 2 years - standard in Europe). In the past there was also a Lightroom licence coming with the 109 - this has beed changed to a (i believe 90 days) trial.

Ergonomics and body design by Audi are IMHO more less customer preference.

Edited by Xelor

• 2 weeks later...