I’m back from two weeks in Iraq for a reportage about the Yazidi genocide with a Q (and a Nikon =D)

giuliomagnifico

I am blown away by your photos and so thankful you post to the Q forum. The emotion captured in the children photos is haunting. To think that those children are in that environment right now, gives me a window into their real world. Thank you. Super job! 

What is the cube on top of the Q in the flash shoe? 

Edited by Infiniumguy

Thanks to all for the comments! If you have any questions I'm here of course :)

18 minutes ago, Infiniumguy said:

What is the cube on top of the Q in the flash shoe? 

The cube is the Polaroid Cube+ 😂 is a small video camera to record the video. I built a custom support for the Q and its magnetic! I love it, it's inexpensive and very small/confortable! https://www.polaroid.com/products/cube-plus-action-camera

8 minutes ago, giuliomagnifico said:

Thanks to all for the comments! If you have any questions I'm here of course :)

The cube is the Polaroid Cube+ 😂 is a small video camera to record the video. I built a custom support for the Q and its magnetic! I love it, it's inexpensive and very small/confortable! https://www.polaroid.com/products/cube-plus-action-camera

Thank you Giulio. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Icalvin8p said:

The portraits were taken with the Nikon right? I don't think the Leica Q is able to shoot that close. I hope I am wrong though. Nonetheless the pictures are amazing and your work is selfless. A very important subject you are highlighting. 

Depends on the portraits! The Q can go very close to the subject with macro mode, some are made with the Q and some with the D800E + 105 micro. For example 

This is made with the Q in macro mode

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This with the Nikon D800E + 105 Micro AFS (2018 in Kurdistan)

Macro mode with the Q is awesome! You need only to go veeeeery close to the subject (and for a person can be embarrassing :D ), and the Q also switch the focal length, I don't know precisely but I think it became something like a 32/35mm (from the 28mm), and it close the diaphragm to 2.8. It works like a real macro lens, it's incredible how the Leica engineerings have packaged it in a super-small size but it is :D 

And this is me capturing the macro portrait with the Q (my friend was suprised how close I went to the people so he captured a photo of me to laugh 😂) : 

I always said: "If I have to choose a camera only, not two, not two lenses, etc.. It would be the Leica Q absolutely! I can do anything from close up portrait to landscape!"

In this video you can see how close I'm. And the video camera  has a 136° field (like a 9mm focal length)...

https://youtu.be/wcRwnem8CGk

3 hours ago, MarkP said:

I've just been through your portfolio. What an outstanding and moving body of work. 

Thank you for posting this.

Thanks 🤗 and thanks a lot to all! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These are exceptional images taken by an exceptional photographer with an exceptional camera (the Q). It's very sad to think of these beautiful people, especially the young children, being caught up in that horrible war. Maybe photographs like these can make a difference. This is excellent photo reportage.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1