Leica Fotos App - does it work with M10 ?

UliWer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are many videos and tutorials on how to set up the app.  My issue is connecting the camera once it's set up.  There appears no wi-fi connection until the QR Code appears on the camera display.  I get a spinning wheel for about 40 seconds saying 'Starting WLAN'.  Slow and a little tedious.  My Q is quick!  Is it my M10 camera?

Edited by TangoCharlie27

4 hours ago, TangoCharlie27 said:

There are many videos and tutorials on how to set up the app.  My issue is connecting the camera once it's set up.  There appears no wi-fi connection until the QR Code appears on the camera display.  I get a spinning wheel for about 40 seconds saying 'Starting WLAN'.  Slow and a little tedious.  My Q is quick!  Is it my M10 camera?

Same here: the Q is much quicker to connect than the M10

My CL is also pretty fast.  The QR code appears in about 1-2 sec, and in 10 seconds, the network hotspot is active. My SL is even faster.  The QR code appears immediately, and the hot spot is visible (using my phone to list available wifi networks) in about 2 seconds.  My M10 takes 40 sec before  the QR code appears, but once it appears the hot spot is enabled and you can start to connect.  The M10-D is a bit faster.  Maybe 30 seconds until the hot spot is ready.  This is consistent with the general belief on this forum (Leica won't say) that the L-mount cameras show the results of joint development with Panasonic, whose engineers come from the countries where smart phones were developed, while the M cameras are developed more entirely in-house.

A more complete comparison is hard to make, because the connection to FOTOS isn't ready until the app has read things from the camera and SD card.  That takes longer than just starting the connection, especially if you have a 32GB or 64GB card with lots of files on it already.  I think there is room for improvement in FOTOS software to let it get started quickly if you just want to change a setting or go into remote mode.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Scott, I believe we do need a method to determine exactly why the M10 Fotos is so slow to make its network. My recent impression is that it might due to overly pessimistically establishing its so-called WAN node. Suggestions welcome.

Well, there are a few things to be done to see exactly how much slower the M10s are in establishing their network connection:

1) standard load -- a just formatted chip in each camera with just one .DNG file on it.

2) standard detector for the appearance of the hot spot that is generated.  I use the WiFi listing of networks available on my Android phone.(Any suggestions?)

3) separate measurement of when Fotos is up and running from when the network appears

4) stopwatch.

But this still won't tell if the differences are due to different wifi chips being used or to the firmware code.  Even if the M10, M10-P and M10-D each have different wakeup times, they may have component differences inside as well as small firmware differences.  And I am not interested in performing a warranty-voiding teardown. Since the chip or chips involved are probably not made by Leica, we can just make these differences known and see what happens.  

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

I’m giving up on this app until there is a new version. I’ve gotten it to work a few times,  but it is has failed to connect or to work properly for me many more times than that.  A few observations:  I timed it and it took between 42 and 65 seconds for the wlan to activate on my M10, and then typically another half minute before the camera reported being connected to my iPhone, and then a another minute for the remote button and gallery to appear. Often at this pooint it simply crashed. I was never able to get it to set the drive function to timer via the phone app, which is what I wanted to use it for. The app isn’t reliable or fast enough for it to be of any practical use for me. I hope Leica can fix it in a future release. It would be nice to have a functioning version. Paul

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It works perfectly with my M10, haven't encounter too much stutter anywhere either.

Only thing is the wifi take some time to be turned on, which is fine to me, I just appreciate the body of M10 while waiting. Definitely hope they could improve it in the future with firmware update though.

This while comparing to the animation and UI of the app becomes negligible. The animation is truly smooth and beautiful. In fact this FOTOS app is one of the main reasons I chose M10 instead of an older M.

Edited by PhoebusXS
  • Like 1

Fotos - a step at a time

The camera has no relation to Fotos to start up. The camera’s WLAN will start and wait regardless of the card, its size or contents. It starts even if there is NO card in the camera. (Remote activates under the same circumstances.)

Given the above it is unlikely the size of the card or its contents are a factor for the camera establishing its WAN node.

Next, with a card with contents in the camera.

Start WLAN in-camera, then Fotos on an iPhone. WLAN will be enabled shortly before Fotos starts and the connection will be almost immediate.

Where is the complaint?

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pico said:

Fotos - a step at a time

The camera has no relation to Fotos to start up. The camera’s WLAN will start and wait regardless of the card, its size or contents. It starts even if there is NO card in the camera. (Remote activates under the same circumstances.)

Given the above it is unlikely the size of the card or its contents are a factor for the camera establishing its WAN node.

Next, with a card with contents in the camera.

Start WLAN in-camera, then Fotos on an iPhone. WLAN will be enabled shortly before Fotos starts and the connection will be almost immediate.

Where is the complaint?

I agree that establishing the connection between a phone and the camera doesn't involve reading the SD card.  But to bring up FOTOS with an SD card in the camera, I have to wait for it to show a few thumbnails.  In one of my cameras (the SL, I think) there are quite a few directories, and FOTOS goes off hunting for thumbnails in the several folders and will not do anything else, such as switch to remote mode or look at settings, until it has explored all of the folders.  Anyway, starting FOTOS with a half-filled 32 or 64 GB card can be complicated.  M10 and L-mount experiences vary, and iOS and Android experiences also differ.  It's a jungle out there.  

What I'd like to see is a fast path to getting into remote mode or to check settings, regardless of what is on the card or how much you need to look through in order to find the most recent shots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can’t  complain.   Works every time between my m10 and iPhone SE or iPad.   The combo is perfect for international travel.  Full RAW editing.  No laptop required. Its a game changer.  Start up time not important to me . 

I do suggest that you use fast readtime  sdcards. 

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

[...] What I'd like to see is a fast path to getting into remote mode or to check settings, regardless of what is on the card or how much you need to look through in order to find the most recent shots.

Good idea. I sent your suggestion to Leica though the Fotos app. That's about all I can do.

Aside: I found that the app has a configuration to send use stats to Google. In a few minutes I will disable it. I'm rather desperate to hurry it up.

25 minutes ago, pico said:

Good idea. I sent your suggestion to Leica though the Fotos app. That's about all I can do.

Aside: I found that the app has a configuration to send use stats to Google. In a few minutes I will disable it. I'm rather desperate to hurry it up.

I leave it on  I have also submitted several trouble reports, and am thinking of writing to Wetzlar.  If removing the logging makes a different, please post the evidence.

16 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I leave it on  I have also submitted several trouble reports, and am thinking of writing to Wetzlar.  If removing the logging makes a different, please post the evidence.

My mod made it impossible to turn on logging, yet I see no improvement yet. Sorry.

Sorry for me! I trashed my iOS! Seriously, I have to reinstall the whole thing from backup.

Silly me. End of project.

Edited by pico

Following a suggestion here, I tried to use Fotos again, this time with a blank SD card, and it worked very well. Previously I had about 600 images on the card in the camera, and the app would crash. With the blank card, it was easy to,use the remote function. 

I tried to set the drive to 2 or 12 second delay, but I could not get this function to work. It sounds as though others have has success changing the drive function, so if anyone has advice on how to get this to work, I would appreciate it. 

Paul

I tried the 2 sec delay, using Android 1.0.7 Fotos, and it was accepted when I set it, but it had no effect.  When I switched to remote, it shot immediately.  After I shut things down it also shot immediately.  I didn't test, but should have, whether the setting was actually just not set in the camera, by shooting one shot with the shutter button while still connected to Fotos or at least without first powering off.  Anyway, report this to the customer service folks with a session log.  It sounds like a bug to me.

My experience in iOS is that the app allows me to choose the drive setting, but this has no effect on what happens when I press the app button to initiate the exposure. For instance if I set it to 2 or 12 second delay, the exposure still takes place immediately. Paul

3 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

You mean self-timer delay doesn't actually work in iOS as well?  Have you tried the continuous shooting drive settings?  (I haven't but I will if say they don't work on iPhone.)  Maybe they are just for show at this point.

Affirmed: Continuous when set with Fotos on iPhone does not work. Neither does the self-timer.

Edited by pico