Long live the M-D!

jmr237

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35 minutes ago, pippy said:

You are championing the idea of a flip-out screen in a thread which specifically celebrates a camera which has, as its most unique and desirable feature, no screen.

Why?

Philip.

Sorry, it was obviously the wrong place to post. But you discussed the rumor that Leica might stop making D models, and I just came up with some ideas.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, evikne said:

Sorry, it was obviously the wrong place to post. But you discussed the rumor that Leica might stop making D models, and I just came up with some ideas.

Hey, no worries, evikne! I was just a bit surprised by the suggestion being made here of all places. Perhaps in the SL / Q / T...or, indeed, any other sub-forum it would have been given a rapturous welcome!?!?

I believe it was Ikarus-John who mentioned the possibility of no new D models. If true (and as I wrote earlier) I think it would be a shame but, of course, Leica are a commercial company and a company needs to make profits. If the screenless models are less popular than expected with their target market then I suppose there would be little incentive for Leica to produce future versions.

As it happens my own view was that the M10-D was a step (or three) in the wrong direction in comparison to the M-D Typ-262 but I accept that, as M users go, my personal view isn't shared by many!

Philip.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, pippy said:

I was just a bit surprised by the suggestion being made here of all places. Perhaps in the SL / Q / T...or, indeed, any other sub-forum it would have been given a rapturous welcome!?!?

I am a hardcore M fan, even though it might seem different. But I'll try to find a more suitable place to discuss the future of the D models.

21 minutes ago, evikne said:

I am a hardcore M fan, even though it might seem different. But I'll try to find a more suitable place to discuss the future of the D models.

Oh this is, without a doubt, the place to discuss D models past, present and, perhaps future. But I doubt any D model would ever feature a screen being as it is specifically the lack of a screen which seems to define the model!

On which note...

Dear Santa;

Could you please arrange for a future D to return wholesale to the 'Bare Neccessities' essence of the M-D Typ-262 coupled with the body-thickness of the M10-D and for it to be available in Black Lacquer and also Silver-Chrome finishes each with the classic Leica (etc.) engraving on the top-plate? Thanks!

PS : For the Black Lacquer bodies could the accessory shoe PLEASE be black-chrome as found on the M9-P and the like? Thanks!!

PPS : Could Leica reintroduce Shark Skin covering and stick it on the M-D Typ-917? Thanks again and see you on the 31st as always!!!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/14/2021 at 4:43 AM, kivis said:

I have my M-P 240 setup like the M-D. Live view is off, movie is off, image review is off and focusing aid is off. Only shoot in RAW.

I was like that with olympus pen camera ,i turned off 127 features and it was just like using the M-D.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, petermullett said:

Hi Steven, what prices are you seeing for the M10-D?.......I can't say I've seen any being offered for sale.

Mine's back in Wetzlar once again, ( fourth trip I think since new ), it seems to suffer from separation anxieties when too far from "mother". Electronics once again being the problem, I can't help thinking that Leica overreached with the M10-D as compared with the MD 262 and tried to pack in too many "enhancements" that in my case have been a constant annoyance..........BUT it is still my favourite digital Leica M, closely followed by the M10-M and it will be good to have it back when this current repair is sorted. It's a "keeper" for sure, it just needs psychiatric help with it's oedipus problem.

around 5500 euros... 

vor 5 Stunden schrieb pippy:

Could you please arrange for a future D to return wholesale to the 'Bare Neccessities' essence of the M-D Typ-262 coupled with the body-thickness of the M10-D and for it to be available in Black Lacquer and also Silver-Chrome finishes each with the classic Leica (etc.) engraving on the top-plate? Thanks!

Thank you Philip, 100% consent!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't care if the screenless M Leica ending with M10-D which has already 'too many features' (they are of course 'useful' for many users, not for me)

M-D 262 can be (for me ) the proud last M-D 👍 ( maybe last digital M for me ) which is fine as it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

So @Mattias Burling has a video out where he ranks 89 cameras that he has reviewed over the years in order of preference, with example photos from each.

Can you guess which one is his favourite?

Interestingly, he gets great pictures from any of those 89 ...

Edited by Datsch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Datsch said:

So @Mattias Burling has a video out where he ranks 89 cameras that he has reviewed over the years in order of preference, with example photos from each....Can you guess which one is his favourite?

Interestingly, he gets great pictures from any of those 89 ...

Thanks for that clip, Datsch. As you say; interesting.

Somehow the first time I tried to watch it I inadvertently clicked onto the wrong link(?) but the section in this link here, from around the 4:00 minute mark (and especially the bit to around 4:25) is 100% exactly how I feel about not just the M-D but how I love to shoot. I agree with everything he says;

Philip.

EDIT : Forgot to say that Yes; a talented photographer will be able to create good images with anything.

But somehow, sometimes, using kit which truly resonates with the user can allow them to take their art to a different level. I believe that absolutely; speaking both as a photographer and a musician.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

In another thread here, we talked about battery life & how to manage at best the battery life.

I don't have any problem with my batteries on my digital M.

My concern for future is as M-D battery is 'always full', would the battery life be shorter than other M240 family.

To prevent that, as I use many M using same type of battery, I put one of those BP-SCL2 (14499) in the M interchangeably, when needed.

So I don't even know which battery comes originaly with which M.

I ask here if other M-D user (s) has replaced the original battery at some point.

On 9/16/2021 at 3:01 AM, a.noctilux said:

In another thread here, we talked about battery life & how to manage at best the battery life.

I don't have any problem with my batteries on my digital M.

My concern for future is as M-D battery is 'always full', would the battery life be shorter than other M240 family.

To prevent that, as I use many M using same type of battery, I put one of those BP-SCL2 (14499) in the M interchangeably, when needed.

So I don't even know which battery comes originaly with which M.

I ask here if other M-D user (s) has replaced the original battery at some point.

I have 2 batteries for my M-D and one of them recently showed only 70% full in the camera whereas the charger said 100%. Since I didn’t mark the batteries I have no way of knowing if the problem one is the original equipment. I’ve been trying to drain it down to 0 as suggested by others but it sure does take a long time in an M-D…

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2021 at 3:01 AM, a.noctilux said:

No. I am the second owner of my M-D 262 with the original battery. Mine generally shows 85% in camera and still seems to get through two, and in a pinch three, shoots before requiring a charge. I just love the camera!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M2Pete said:

No. I am the second owner of my M-D 262 with the original battery. Mine generally shows 85% in camera and still seems to get through two, and in a pinch three, shoots before requiring a charge. I just love the camera!

Hello Pete,

before recharging your battery, do you mean two/three outings ?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...