Long live the M-D!

jmr237

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Of course 😇.

@kivis

That "practice" prepared me for M-D since M8 (2007) like you (not movie though on M8/M9/M10), never chimping, only DNG.

Only when M user who doesn't use M-D, so lack of real screenless practice, thinks/says so.

Nothing wrong with that, I even think that you are right, of course not to bother with M-D using happily what is more practical Leica M.

It's a case of working with what you got.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:19 PM, a.noctilux said:

Hello Jia,

Welcome here.

Nice duo !

Which one M-D or M-P can be considered as backup ?

It very much depends. If I take photoes along, normally I use M-D but if I'm with others, then I use M-P because they are eager to see those pictures.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 9:44 AM, Jia said:

It very much depends. If I take photoes along, normally I use M-D but if I'm with others, then I use M-P because they are eager to see those pictures.

Do you mean "pictures" on the rear screen ?

3 hours ago, horosu said:

The M-D is the closest digital camera to a film Leica. It has only battery and card readout the finder, no LCD, an ISO wheel on the back-where it belongs, and it's black paint 😀😀  

of course, some would say it IS "wayyyyy" thicker (a couple of millimeters ! ) than film M.

In use, I don't think so, it's thicker body AND no screen help in firm handling with large/heavy lens.

Another side note ...

We may compare M-D with M7 with winder (which would be much bigger/heavier anyway), my Konica Hexar RF may be the "right" film (closest motored wind-on, 1/4000 speed) to M-D comparision size/features... much in advance in M mount camera (no advanced flash use though).

Edited by a.noctilux

With my phone in my pocket and the EVF in my bag, the M10-D is the same in practise as the M-D; save it is thinner and has a thumb rest.  Whether the ISO is on the back or the top is surely of little significance, when neither has an LCD.  That’s the point, surely?

If the rumour that Leica won’t make another MD is true, that would be sad.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, IkarusJohn said:

With my phone in my pocket and the EVF in my bag, the M10-D is the same in practise as the M-D...That’s the point, surely?...

No, John, but if you left your phone and EVF at home the M10-D could offer you a similar experience to shooting with the M-D Typ-262.

Could you do that?....because that's the point.

:)

I agree that it would be terribly sad if Leica were to abandon screen-less M cameras but, of course, I can see how it might be a loss-leader in terms of an already niche market-share. I seem to remember working out that throughout its production life there were well over 100,000 M9 bodies crafted whereas it seems that the entire output of M-D Typ-262 bodies made numbers a mere 1,400 examples.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, pippy said:

No, John, but if you left your phone and EVF at home the M10-D could offer you a similar experience to shooting with the M-D Typ-262.

Could you do that?....because that's the point.

:)

I agree that it would be terribly sad if Leica were to abandon screen-less M cameras but, of course, I can see how it might be a loss-leader in terms of an already niche market-share. I seem to remember working out that throughout its production life there were well over 100,000 M9 bodies crafted whereas it seems that the entire output of M-D Typ-262 numbers a mere 1,400 examples.

Philip.

Of course - I use the EVF rarely, as the whole point of the M10-D is to simplify the use of the camera.

In its base (and intended form), the M10-D is exactly the same as the M-D in use, save that the body is thinner and it has the thumb rest.  That is the way I use it almost exclusively.

• Like 1

I have a question. 
in the past months, the price of the M10D has been decreasing a lot. If it really is the last screen less camera, shouldn’t it be increasing ? 
i know that dealers have been on the hunt for m10ds. That says something. 

If Leica managed to make a flip screen M (screen on one side and leather on the other), they would not have needed any more D models, and everyone would be happy.

The screen should have been immersed in the back so the camera didn't get any thicker.

Edited by evikne

22 minutes ago, Steven said:

I have a question; in the past months, the price of the M10D has been decreasing a lot. If it really is the last screen less camera, shouldn’t it be increasing ?...

No idea, Steven. I don't understand all that 'commerce' stuff one iota.

If it's any indication it seems that the price of the M-D Typ-262 has been increasing steadily over the last 18 months or so but I have absolutely no idea of how many M10-D bodies have been produced so perhaps availability comes into the equation?

Does it matter? Really? I always believed, a while back, that you would love the M-D experience but IIRC it didn't work out for you too well last time. If you think you might get along with an M-D (of whichever incarnation) nowadays - having become more familiar with the idiosyncracies of the M system - then simply buy one again and see how it turns out.

If you still don't get along then you could always sell it on and, possibly, make a profit...

Philip.

16 minutes ago, evikne said:

If Leica managed to make a flip screen M (screen on one side and leather on the other), they would not have needed any more D models, and everyone would be happy...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So Funny!!!!!!

Philip.

Edited by pippy

11 hours ago, evikne said:

If Leica managed to make a flip screen M (screen on one side and leather on the other), they would not have needed any more D models, and everyone would be happy.

The screen should have been immersed in the back so the camera didn't get any thicker.

😇 ah if ...

Epson had that clever idea, more than 15 years ago.

I've just tried to "imagine" on my M-D the flipping screen, I'd not buy one of those if ...released one day.

Articulation would be weak (considering the less thickness of the flip screen), and compromises (for me ) always lost the essence(s) of two or more "clever ideas".

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

😇 ah if ...

Epson had that clever idea, more than 15 years ago.

I've just tried to "imagine" on my M-D the flipping screen, I'd not buy one of those if ...released one day.

Articulation would be weak (considering the less thickness of the flip screen), and compromises (for me ) always lost the essence(s) of two or more "clever ideas".

Is a flip sceen any more controversial than for example a B&W-only digital camera, or a faux wind lever? It should of course have been designed very discreetly, without visible hinges etc. And it didn't need to be as complicated as a flip screen. How about some kind of roller blind you just pulled down across the screen?

No one knows what might happen …

12 hours ago, Steven said:

I have a question. 
in the past months, the price of the M10D has been decreasing a lot. If it really is the last screen less camera, shouldn’t it be increasing ? 
i know that dealers have been on the hunt for m10ds. That says something. 

Hi Steven, what prices are you seeing for the M10-D?.......I can't say I've seen any being offered for sale.

Mine's back in Wetzlar once again, ( fourth trip I think since new ), it seems to suffer from separation anxieties when too far from "mother". Electronics once again being the problem, I can't help thinking that Leica overreached with the M10-D as compared with the MD 262 and tried to pack in too many "enhancements" that in my case have been a constant annoyance..........BUT it is still my favourite digital Leica M, closely followed by the M10-M and it will be good to have it back when this current repair is sorted. It's a "keeper" for sure, it just needs psychiatric help with it's oedipus problem.

Edited by petermullett

20 minutes ago, evikne said:

Is a flip sceen any more controversial than for example a B&W-only digital camera, or a faux wind lever? It should of course have been designed very discreetly, without visible hinges etc. And it didn't need to be as complicated as a flip screen. How about some kind of roller blind you just pulled down across the screen?

No one knows what might happen …

Roller blind, that would be very clever idea, like on Gossen Sixtomat to protect the Selenium photo cell, decades ago ...

have a look here ...

Let's see if this can give idea to Leica 😇.

33 minutes ago, evikne said:

Is a flip sceen any more controversial than...

You are championing the idea of a flip-out screen in a thread which specifically celebrates a camera which has, as its most unique and desirable feature, no screen.

Why?

Philip.

• Like 1