Long live the M-D!

jmr237

• 9 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 10:21 PM, DaveNC said:

I've sold all of my other cameras and plan to use the MD until either I or it can't.  I always asked for either a digital capture Nikon F3 or Leica M6.  I am totally satisfied with my MD.

Dave as you,

M-D 262 is so special that I can't explain why I don't need/want the M10-D which is just another M for me.

M-D would be the last M that I will sell (if never) 😉.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2018 at 1:16 PM, ramarren said:

My M-D typ 262 is mine forever. They can bury me with the darn thing, I like it so much. :D

But the M-D stays regardless. I love this camera: it's my all-time favorite M. :)

Reflections ::

I said that, I meant it, I felt that way. But, like with all things human, it passes.

The M-D typ 262 is indeed my favorite Leica M and yet I sold it last year anyway. I kept my Leica M4-2. Why? Because I found I wasn't using it. And new things beckoned. And ... I'm not so rich as to be able to afford to buy and keep anything I might desire. In the end, it's just a thing, a tool, a machine that I loved to use. But I stopped using it, in preference to other tools, and it was still worth too much to have it just sit on the shelf unused until it wasn't worth enough to be worth selling; I could use that money for other things that were more important to me. 

Do I miss it? Yes, somewhat. But I have no regrets about selling it. My photography has gone on without a hitch or stumble without it. I remember it fondly, glad I had the experience of using it. I miss Pico far, far more. Even though we'd only met and laughed together in person perhaps twice, twenty or more years back. Just remembering him now brought some tears to my eyes... :(

G

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still have the Edition 60 and hope to never let go.  The sound it makes is special and the Steelylux is different from all other Leica lenses.  I also got a full case for it from Luigi which is better than all other cases because the lugs do not stick through it and there's no LCD to show.  

• 9 months later...

I shot my M2 for ages and, but for the slight weight and size difference, my M-D be a digital M2 for me. The simplicity of the film Ms seem to carry through to the M-D. I've used an M10 and enjoyed the experience but I can get the tech it has on cheaper camera bodies and spend the money saved on lenses.For me the M-D seems preferable to the M10-D because of what it is lacking in the latter.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, M2Pete said:

I shot my M2 for ages and, but for the slight weight and size difference, my M-D be a digital M2 for me.......For me the M-D seems preferable to the M10-D because of what it is lacking in the latter...

You are not alone in your preferences and in both of those matters mentioned. There are quite a number of M-D 262 users who have written saying they are coming from a background of having used - in particular - the M2. I don't know why the M2 features more frequently than the M3 or any other film body but there it is.

I picked mine up almost exactly one year ago today and in my first post after I had used it I wrote;

"...I've only had a couple of hours' worth with her...(and shooting with it)...takes me right back to my M2 days (1980 - 2007) with the added benefits of variable ISO and, of course, TTL metering..."

I really must find the time to jot down the latest bunch of serial numbers to see where we are now!

Philip.

• 4 weeks later...

The ‘D’ version of the M looks quite appealing but with the scarcity of the m-d, it’s never going to be my preference. However, it looks like it would be practical and cheaper to buy a used M10 base model, then fix a thin vulcanite covered plate over the back. Voila,  ‘D’ model, great sensor and no thumb rest.

Yes why not, but ...

M-D has some more specific "features" not available on other 😉 M with LCD.

like ... the very very good grip without the protruding LCD at rear (we can hide the LCD but this is not replicable)

When I use other digital M than M-D, I miss these "informations" :

- when switch to "ON" M-D shows in VF number meaning % of remaining battery

other digital M may show 'ISO'

- after each frame, M-D shows remaining "frames" on SD card, handy but so 'perturbing' when first use ( I wonder what this number was before reading in manual )

those features can't be cancelled but repeatable at will, with the "function button"

• Thanks 1

I was unaware of those differences, but I for sure would not pay thousands of dollars difference just for those small things which is the reality when you look at used prices today. Of course an m-d would be nice but this is no longer an option anymore as prices are laughable.

Edited by Mr.Prime
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mr.Prime said:

The ‘D’ version of the M looks quite appealing but with the scarcity of the m-d, it’s never going to be my preference. However, it looks like it would be practical and cheaper to buy a used M10 base model, then fix a thin vulcanite covered plate over the back. Voila,  ‘D’ model, great sensor and no thumb rest.

If you elect to go down this route be sure to use super-glue to affix the vulcanite; otherwise it doesn't count!

:lol:

Joking aside, Mr. Prime; are you quite sure the price difference between an M-262 and an M-D Typ-262 is in the thousands of dollars? I'm not in your neighbourhood so have no idea of 'street value' where you live but, last time I looked here in the UK, the M-D didn't seem to be much of a 'sought-after' piece of kit. Perhaps this has changed?

Philip.

Edited by pippy

I may be wrong,

M-D would become more expensive sh in future, as the only "less-frills-analog-like-digital-M".

M10-D added some more "frills" (I like the faux-lever wind, but not other features added).

Untill now, we don't know how many were made, Leica "don't tell" the amount of M-D made, mystery favourable to "futur Myth".

Anyway, I don't care as I don't want to buy/sell M-D.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/30/2018 at 9:43 AM, IkarusJohn said:

The nice thing, I guess is having the same generation of cameras - M10-P, M10-D & M10-M - so the controls are largely the same, chargers and batteries the same etc.  One of the frustrating things for me is if I go away, each camera has a different battery and charger - SL & spare battery, TL & spare battery (charge in camera), Monochrom & 3 spare batteries and M10-D & spare.

Each charger is different.  PLEASE Leica, at least provide for in camera USB charging ...

I can't agree more. That's why I am still using my M-D and M240P.

I feel i am at a stage with my m262 where i could and would enjoy using an M-D 262 but alas they are scarce and expensive.

The m10-D was not fit for purpose in my view and sadly leica seem to have turned their backs on the whole project.

4 hours ago, kivis said:

I have my M-P 240 setup like the M-D. Live view is off, movie is off, image review is off and focusing aid is off. Only shoot in RAW.

Of course 😇.

@kivis

That "practice" prepared me for M-D since M8 (2007) like you (not movie though on M8/M9/M10), never chimping, only DNG.

Only when M user who doesn't use M-D, so lack of real screenless practice, thinks/says so.

Nothing wrong with that, I even think that you are right, of course not to bother with M-D using happily what is more practical Leica M.