M 10-D monochrome please

Belle123

On 8/17/2019 at 2:42 AM, evikne said:

@Likaleica Are you sure you are talking about the M Monochrom? I downloaded some M 246 sample photos in DNG format and opened them in LR. No profiles were available at all, except the embedded profile from the camera. 

I am becoming increasingly interested in B&W photography, and an M10 Monochrom sounds tempting. But I am not sure I want to be without the possibilities with the LR profiles.

I may not have been clear.  I wasn't referring to color channels, which are missing in a monochrom file as I mentioned in my second sentence.  But the profiles do apply.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 10:47 AM, Belle123 said:

That really is the difference between those of us who really appreciate the monochrome versions, and those that probably won’t or have no need.  There is a difference, but it is not for everyone.   Besides the performance, the fact we are willing to pay more for less of a camera.....but getting more out of our b/w images, says something.  For me it comes from a life time of appreciating the works of past photographers who really pushed the envelope in the dark room creating incredibly beautiful b/w images.  The real work begins after photo is taken.  So, in the digital age, having a camera that gets you closer to that film experience is what the monochrome does for me, or a larger format camera.

One of the measures that indicate to me that my Monochrom I photos strike a chord, is the response I get from everyday people who come to my home and see my photographs on the walls.  They compliment me on the photography, they are captivated, they don't really know why, but I know it's all about the tones (not just subject matter and composition).  Visitors stop and linger, something penetrates and breaks through their thinking fast paced minds, they become still for a moment.  Not all of us will get this, and I guess that's the way it's supposed to be.  A CCD Monochrom camera is not for everyone, it's not for the general public, or even for  the vast majority of photographers, hence Leica sees no profit in it.  We are admittedly a minority within an already minority of photographers who prefer Leica.  I've never been one to follow the crowds. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wilfredo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 12:11 PM, wilfredo said:

One of the measures that indicate to me that my Monochrom I photos strike a chord, is the response I get from everyday people who come to my home and see my photographs on the walls.  They compliment me on the photography, they are captivated, they don't really know why, but I know it's all about the tones (not just subject matter and composition).  Visitors stop and linger, something penetrates and breaks through their thinking fast paced minds, they become still for a moment.  Not all of us will get this, and I guess that's the way it's supposed to be.  A CCD Monochrom camera is not for everyone, it's not for the general public, or even for  the vast majority of photographers, hence Leica sees no profit in it.  We are admittedly a minority within an already minority of photographers who prefer Leica.  I've never been one to follow the crowds. 

I, too, have displayed prints that originated with the MM1, together with other b/w prints using the M8.2, M240 and/or M10 (as well as various film Ms). Viewers are similarly complimentary, but cannot discern the difference between gear (which includes lenses) when I do my job well.  The total workflow, including everything from subject composition and lighting, to myriad editing and PP decisions, techniques and materials, to final display matting, framing and lighting, simply makes any distinction guesswork. These viewers include lay people as well as skilled photographers.

I love the MM1, and the files sometimes provide malleability that isn’t possible with other gear.  Conversely, my other digital Ms sometimes provide benefits from use of color channels in PP, including subtle but important tonal enhancements that can’t always be replicated by the MM and color filters. The primary benefit of the MM1 for me is the b/w mindset that it promotes, a feeling that I had for decades shooting b/w film with gear ranging from 35mm to medium format as well as 4x5 view cameras.  The MM also has increased resolution, but I don’t print large enough to practically benefit from that.

As for my ability to observe fine print differences,  I have studied and personally collected vintage b/w prints (and books) since the 1980’s, including work by some some of the greatest photographers and printers known, so I fully appreciate a b/w print that ‘sings’... and others that don’t, even though well done.

Regarding future use of CCD for photography, Stefan Daniel puts that to rest in the interview excerpt I provided. 

Jeff

edit... don’t known why the font size exploded near the end... emphasis not intended!

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1