Jono Slack: All about the Leica M10-D

LUF Admin

• LUF Admin changed the title to Jono Slack: All about the Leica M10-D
  • LUF Admin pinned this topic

The lever is a welcome throwback to those of us who used the Leica in the 1970's . Many of us used to rest out thumb on the lever often causing  unwanted shots.. For us it it is a welcome  change .

Enjoyed your review as always.

Steve Ziffer

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, Ashkanani1985 said:

i was searching every where if you can format the SD card using fotos app or in camera ? 

Not at present, but it is a popular request that Leica has been hearing.  Since you can format in your laptop, and the M-D and M10-D do set up directories when you insert a blank card, this is not an obstacle .  I suspect other things will get added before this.  

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

I love Jonos reviews. So there is for me - as a beta tester too - only few to add.

The camera is a beauty. This alone can be a reason to buy it. The better reason is the fake lever. It is the much better thumbs up. It is unobstrusive and much more secure. I loved it, I could hold the camera like I ever held my M6.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Not at present, but it is a popular request that Leica has been hearing.  Since you can format in your laptop, and the M-D and M10-D do set up directories when you insert a blank card, this is not an obstacle .  I suspect other things will get added before this.  

Thanx

2 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

Some people may feel that, in including the EVF and Wifi with the connection to Fotos Leica has compromised the ‘purity’ of the original M-D. My feeling is that it’s good to have the options available, but I didn’t find myself using them in real shooting conditions (either the Wifi or the EVF).

I think this is the right way to look at it. We don't have to use an EVF or WiFi to use this camera, but we have the possibility if we want. And that's probably a good thing, after all.

• Like 1

Thanks Jono for the insights you've given in this report. This looks like a perfect fit for me, and when I read that the wind lever is now "just" a thumb grip, I instantly understood why I prefer the old M3 lever over the later M4/M6 lever with this plastic element (though it works perfectly well): The old full-metal lever feels just more sturdy and acted more like a thumb grip.

No screen on the back, but the option to put on an EVF? Perfect for me! I nearly never chimp, even if I have a screen at hand (the screen on my Oly Pen F Digital is nearly always folded inwards), but the EVF would give me exactly what I would like to have – the ability to use some old SLR lenses that I really love, and a bit more "telephoto" ability and the option to use filters (especially ND grad filters) without having to resort to another system.

I think Leica did it exactly right this time, and the missing EVF capability of the original M-D was one limitation too much (even though I highly enjoyed the one opportunity I had to shoot with it).

• Like 3

Such a coincidence!  I have again been debating about purchasing the Light L16 camera with its multiple lenses, but have once again averred due to ergonomics...and age.   I disposed of all my Leicas (and Rolleis) as my eyesight and steady grip became impaired. I preordered a Light, but canceled after I discovered it had no image stabilization and really needed a tripod for low-light situations.  I figured any camera held at arm's length, framing using a back screen, and working overtime to capture a steady dim image was not something I could expect to age well with.  These same criteria, or lack thereof on the Leicas, (including image stabilization) has kept me away, despite having started out with a new SL2 kit in 1976, and a bevy of Ms ever since.  I'm now strictly Olympus.

What this new addition really makes me wonder even more about is Leica's gauging of their audience.  None of us is getting younger, and all of us could benefit from available auto-focus and image stabilization.  What are they thinking?

Good luck!

Ray Hull

Albany, NY USA

Edited by oculus_ny
typo

Hmmm The winder not optional. It there if you like it or not and can not be taken off.

If beta reviewers were polarised it should have been enough to stop Leica from doing it.

Fake is the ugliest trait and very bad for Leica which all about real and authentic.

• Like 2

So, how is your exposure hit rate without a histogram?

Shooting digital is not like shooting negative film, which handles overexposure gracefully and the Leica M metering system is not exactly known for being very accurate.

I would have expected Leica to at least add a histogram in the viewfinder or on a very narrow strip of a screen on the rear.

Edited by thrid

I find the release of this camera on the heels of the MP interesting for a couple of reasons.  Certainly the camera has softened its militancy a bit compared to the original, which frankly, makes it more appealing to moderates like myself.  If it had been available along side the original M10, given the EVF capability I might have gone that way.  One wonders if those currently in the market for an MP might not feel similarly.  But what I find more fascinating that they released an MD prior to providing an MM. Perhaps its all a matter of cost vs profit, but I would have thought that an M10MM would have broader appeal and had less of a scavenging effect on the MP.