Leica M10-D Officially Announced – Digital heart, analogue soul

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica has introduced the new Leica M10-D - like its predecessor it has no display. The camera will be on sale from 24 October 2018.

The technical specs of sensor and electronics are identical to the Leica M10. Everything on the back was removed - no monitor, no buttons etc.

In it's place are two dominant dials for the following functions:

• With the inside dial the exposure correction can be set.
  • With the exterior the camera can be switched on, off or in the WiFi Mode.

The front shows the screw - as with the Leica M10-P - which is normally hidden by the Leica logo.

Also striking is the lever under the shutter button. This is a reminiscent of the film wind lever from analog times and can now be used as a thumb rest.

Rudimentary settings such as date or time settings can be changed via different key shortcuts. For more complex options, it should be possible to make settings via the Leica Fotos app.

M10-D+Summicron_2_35_ASPH_FRONT_RGB[10392].jpg

M10-D_BACK_RGB[10394].jpg

Product name Leica M10-D
Camera type Digital rangefinder system camera
Lens mount Leica M bayonet
System lenses Leica M-Lenses
Viewfinder Large, bright, combined bright-line viewfinder / rangefinder with automatic parallax compensation
Processor Leica Maestro II
Sensor CMOS-chip, active area approx. 24 x 36 mm, 24 MP
ISO range 100 - 50000
Storage media SD cards from 2 GB, SDHC cards up to 32 GB, SDXC cards up to 2 TB
Buffer memory 2 GB
WLAN The WLAN function can be used only in combination with the Leica FOTOS app. Available free from the Apple App StoreTM or the Google Play StoreTM.
Body Full-metal body: diecast magnesium alloy, leather trim; top plate and baseplate: brass, black
Dimensions
(W x H x D)
139 x 37.9 x 80 mm
Weight approx. 660 g (with battery)

Official press release:

Zitat

Leica M10-D: Digital heart, analogue soul.

Wetzlar, 24 October 2018. With the Leica M10-D, Leica Camera AG transports the analogue experience into the world of digital photography. In place of the monitor screen, it offers a mechanical dial for exposure compensation and an integrated swing-out thumb rest for additional stability – and thus perfects the association with the analogue models of the Leica M. Photography with the Leica M10-D is an experience focused sharply on essential aspects that concentrate on the elementary parameters for image creation, such as composition, aperture, shutter speed and the ISO sensitivity value. The latest M model does not, however, limit itself solely to the analogue facets of its character. In combination with the equally new Leica FOTOS app, it provides many of the features and functions offered by a modern, high-performance digital camera.

All settings on the Leica M10-D are made with mechanical control elements. Instead of a monitor screen, the back of the camera has a mechanical dial for exposure compensation that is reminiscent of the film sensitivity setting dial familiar from analogue M-Cameras. The analogue look of the camera is further highlighted by a swing-out thumb rest that is strongly reminiscent of the combined film winding and shutter cocking lever of the analogue M models and makes a decisive contribution to the handling of the camera – especially when shooting one-handed.

It is up to the photographer to decide on the proportion of digital technology to be used in the workflow when shooting with the Leica M10-D. For instance, the WLAN function can be activated directly with the setting wheel on the back of the camera to quickly and easily connect the camera with iOS and Android devices. In essence, the monitor screen is detached from the camera body and no longer distracts the photographer from the process of composing and making the picture.
Numerous functions of a modern digital camera are also made available by the new Leica FOTOS app. In addition to enabling assessment of pictures, it also offers remote control of the camera in Live View. Many exposure-relevant settings can be made, and the camera’s shutter release can then be activated by wireless remote control. Depending on the photographer’s needs, parameters such as the image file format – DNG and/or JPG – or white balance can also be set from the app. As all settings made from the app are saved and stored in the camera, this enables photographers to configure the Leica M10-D to meet their specific needs whenever required. Finally, the Leica FOTOS app can also be used to transfer pictures to iOS and Android devices for sharing in social media channels and saving to a personal photostream. Thanks to the use of DNG format, even RAW image files can be seamlessly transferred by the app to suitable image processing apps installed on iOS or Android devices.

For greater flexibility and control, the optional Visoflex electronic viewfinder can also be used with the Leica M10-D. This is particularly useful, for example, when shooting with wide-angle or telephoto lenses, or when capturing complex subjects or scenes in which precise positioning of the plane of focus is essential. In addition to this, it has a tilt function that enables photography from various angles, displays the most recent exposure for up to five seconds and has an integrated, satellite-controlled GPS module for geotagging image files.     

The Leica M10-D will be on sale from 24 October 2018. The Leica FOTOS App will also be available as a free download from the Google Play Store™ and the Apple App Store™ at the same date.

It is disappointing to have the film wind lever only be the "fold-out thumbrest". I was hoping for something clever. The fact that I have asked for a sturdy (no-display to crack, no water ingress) M10 however means I will hold off my decision until I can hold one. The rest of the features mirror what I've been asking for - Use my ever present smartphone with it's killer display to view photos and edit settings. Well done on that front. When I shoot in the field the only changes I make outside of focus are mechanical on the M10D so I'm expecting to like the camera -  and buy it

• LUF Admin changed the title to Leica M10-D Officially Announced – Digital heart, analogue soul
  • LUF Admin pinned this topic

Agree that Leica should have been bolder by giving the lever a more clever function. This looks a bit phoney to me. Not my camera but I expect it will sell anyway (price elasticity laws don't apply to Leica, apparently).  

Edited by WvE

I liked the thumb rest at first sight, also think it's a bit of a "folly" architecturally, but it works.  I've posted comments and pictures from two weeks with the M10-D and participation in the beta test that LUF ran here.  And I will be getting one as my second M10.  It's a bit special to be the only one.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Really???? $8000 and no screen and a fake thumb lever.... ??? is it only me who thinks its stupid or anyone else shares the same feeling. And use Iphone or Android to do adjustments. the whole point of shooting with leica was that we don't use out iPhone's or androids because we use them all the time. :). Now we look for M11 may be that will be something worth waiting for and may be newer sensor with more MP and features that are worth paying extra $$$. M240 still rules if you ask me. and MP will be icing on the cake. 

• Like 2

It seems a little crazy to me. If you don't like Live View, don't use it. Can I switch Preview off on my M10, or do I just have to ignore it?

I also have the Leica thumb grip, does the job perfectly.

And with this thing I cannot use my long R lenses that give fantastic images.   

If I want analogue, I'll use my M7.

Edited by sls
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hamad said:

Really???? $8000 and no screen and a fake thumb lever.... ??? is it only me who thinks its stupid or anyone else shares the same feeling. And use Iphone or Android to do adjustments. the whole point of shooting with leica was that we don't use out iPhone's or androids because we use them all the time. :). Now we look for M11 may be that will be something worth waiting for and may be newer sensor with more MP and features that are worth paying extra $$$. M240 still rules if you ask me. and MP will be icing on the cake. 

Totally agree!

I do get the idea of reducing unnecessary complexity from many of todays "leading" camera models; I'm very much in favor of putting the focus back on 'photography' in stead of 'technology', however... it is 2018 and some of the tools we have learned to appreciate over the years should be there (e.g. an LCD, or better, OLED screen). 

What puzzles me even more is this: 24 MP @ 8000 USD ? In 2018 ??? Don't get me wrong: I'm perfectly happy with my M240 but I paid approx. 3000 USD for a near mint example.

Let's see what the next M generation will bring...

• Like 1

I can see the argument.  It is a lot of money for a Leica that leaves a lot out!  However, time and again I see photographers peering at the back of their latest 'all singing - all dancing' digital SLR, wondering which button to push next!  Lets get back to 'straightforward' photography without all the technical distractions!  This new M10 does that admirably.   Perhaps that's why I still mainly use my R8 film camera, nice and straightforward and takes fabulous pictures!

• Like 1

Hello,

I prefer to wait for a Leica with 40 megapixels, with the features and the size of the M10-P and full 4K video.

I will therefore continue to use my Leica M240, as well as my M5, M4 and R8.

Best regards.

Dominique

Edited by DBAUDUI1
Mistyped
  • Like 1