Leitz Focomat IIa Color. Enlarger... Any help is appreciated

nelly

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am hoping someone may have some experience with the Leitz focomat IIa Color model. I assume it is very similar to the focomat IIa just with the color filter drawer.

The instruction manual is very brief with more attention on assembly than how to use and I am somewhat baffled

I am able to turn on and to raise and lower the main head via the knob on the right side of the enlarger and it lights up well and projects a good image

but there are  bellows on this model like the focomat IIa and Iic and I assume I should be able to be move them up and down via some lever or knob but I cannot seem to

find any such handle. I can get them to open if I push on the section above the slide rod but when I let go they return to the closed position

I have attached a photo.

Any help and advice you can offer with this enlarger would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Nelly

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I don't have one of these, but assume that is part of the focusing system? These are 'auto' focus systems in that once focus is set you can vary the enlargement without need to refocus. On my Focomat V35 you can fine tune the focus with a focus ring on the lens mount...

Yes I can adjust the focus on the lens mount too. and move the enlarger head up and down to vary  enlargement size. But why would there be bellows if they never move, surely

there must be a purpose to them. Not much info on this particular enlarger out there so was hoping somebody who has used one could enlighten me. Thanks for the input.

I have been getting some superb advice from Glenn Evans who is very knowledgeable about Leitz enlargers and sells many parts and accessories for the focomat enlargers on his site

Highly recommended if you are looking for parts for your enlargers as he has been great at helping me understand this enlarger.

It seems the bellows do not move at all when the 5cm lens is engaged, but when the 9cm lens is engaged (a pin has to be manually moved from the small cam follower to the large cam follower) and the bellows then raise up and down in sync with the raising and lowering of the cam head. I just thought I would add this update in case any body else gets stuck like myself. as very little information out there on the Focomat IIa color.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. The instructions were very limited that came with the enlarger but I understand now.

M.Hilo Do you have any recommendations for an easel to go with the enlarger as your IIc is very similar?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

40 minutes ago, nelly said:

Thanks. The instructions were very limited that came with the enlarger but I understand now.

M.Hilo Do you have any recommendations for an easel to go with the enlarger as your IIc is very similar?

Any easel will work. Do not overthink the issue.

Okay Thanks

The only reason I ask is as the leitz IIa and IIc autofocus they are calibrated to the height of an attached leitz easel.

I know you can relocate a pin on the stem and use without an easel but I was just wondering which easels out there could be used without adjusting height

Edited by nelly

I was away, sorry.

The Focomat IIc has a clamping system underneath the base board. It makes it possible for most Leitz easels to be fixed to the base board. I think your IIa may have this too but I am not sure. I just checked some IIa images on the web and this clamping system seems to be present. On the right of the baseboard you should have a metal lever coming out from underneath.

Leitz made a 24X30cm metal easel that can be fixed to the base board. They also made 24X30cm and 30X40cm wooden easels which accepted the same clamping system system. I use both wooden easels a lot and in particular the smaller works very well when fixed to the base board.

Don't worry about the height of easels though. First, you should always check the focus with a grain focuser, with each negative. That is standard procedure. I use the wooden Leitz easels, but also the later white 30X40cm Leitz easel and RRB easels. These are all different in size, but that is not a problem. The automatic focus of the Focomats is mostly important when changing size.

Finding a perfect Leitz easel is a challenge. 

Edited by M.Hilo

I have a Saunders 11x14 borderless easel. It is exactly the same height as a Leitz easel (no accident I suspect) – my focomat 1c gives perfect focus automatically. Should also work the same on a IIa or IIc.

This is a nice easel - it lets me do 9.3x14 prints (full negative), which produces an attractive sized print.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 2:23 PM, pico said:

Any easel will work. Do not overthink the issue.

No sorry.  For auto focus to work the head needs to be set at a proper distance from either the baseboard or a 1" easel.  Some easels are thicker and the enlarger needs to be raised to accommodate the difference.   

• Thanks 1

Tobey is right. On my 1c the business part rests on a pin in the column. There are two holes which will take the pin. The lower hole puts the plane of focus on the baseboard. The high hole raises the plane of focus to allow for an easel of a thickness equal to the difference between the holes. Leitz easels are that exact thickness. So is my terrific Saunders 11x14 borderless.

Using these two holes and either no easel or an easel of the right thickness, the autofocus works perfectly. I bet your 11a also has the two-hole system.

1 hour ago, tobey bilek said:

No sorry.  For auto focus to work the head needs to be set at a proper distance from either the baseboard or a 1" easel.  Some easels are thicker and the enlarger needs to be raised to accommodate the difference.   

For crying out loud, do you not realize how so-called auto-focus Leitz (not really made by Leitz) enlargers have mechanical adjustments to accommodate  base heights? They would be worthless if they were restricted to specific easel thickness/heights. And why in the world would Leitz use anything but Metrics. Inch be damned.
--
Pico - using Leica enlargers for close to fifty years

Edited by pico

Thanks for all the input.

Pico if you have more detailed instructions on how to make the mechanical adjustments to the lenses to accommodate different base heights of easels on the focomat IIa color that would be very helpful. I am aware of the 2 position pin on the column but I guess I would be able to adjust the lenses auto position too. The instructions were very brief that came with the enlarger.

I am sure you are very knowledgable after using these for 50 years, Thanks Nelly

Edited by nelly