Leica M8 and M9 Batteries -- cross compatible

carbon_dragon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I *think* the answer to this is yes, but I want to be sure. I have separate (and different style) battery chargers for the M9 and the M8 batteries but they are, of course, the same shape. Are they cross compatible? Can I use my M8 and M9 batteries in either camera? Can I charge all the batteries in 1 charger? If so, does it matter which one I use? Note the M8 charger is the corded type with the same look at my M10 charger. The M9 one plugs directly into the wall and has no cord.

Thanks!

I don't know how to move.

For years, I used with my different M8/M9 same batteries and chargers without problem.

Just number them to use them alternatively, so not to let some unused.

But batteries get old and keep less charge, time to replace them every few years.

• Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb carbon_dragon:

Note the M8 charger is the corded type with the same look at my M10 charger. The M9 one plugs directly into the wall and has no cord.

Mixing up both types of chargers is a proof that they are completely compatible and there is no problem charging an M 9 batterie with the M8 charger and vice versa and using a battery charged in one charger for the other camera:

It is the M9-charger which has a cord, and the M8 charger plugs directly into the wall socket - but it does not matter at all how you name them. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks! Wonder why they made two different styles of chargers if they did the same thing? I'm going on a trip to Cade's Cove this weekend (though the weather looks bad). Might just bring the M8 since batteries won't be an issue! I'll mostly use the other camera, but I like to do IR photos with the M8. I just have 1 battery for it though (or so I thought!).

• 2 years later...

Amazingly my 14 year old M8 batteries are still working just fine, as is the M8. I have kept it for taking infra-red photos. Interestingly the 21-35 Vario-Elmar R that I bought recently, arrived yesterday with a 67mm Leica IR/UV filter on it, which I noticed from the green reflection from the front surface. I wonder what M lens that might have been bought for to use on an M8, as I can't think of any M lens that takes a filter that big. The quite "fat" UV/IR filter causes slight vignetting at 21mm so I have ordered a slimline UV only filter to replace the rather scratched UV/IR filter. 

Wilson