Used M-P240 w/2 lens or Used M10 w/1 Lens

Eikyo09

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello! I'm Getting into the M system and based on my budget I can roughly buy one of these two options:

1) Used M-P 240 with a 28mm Elmarit and a 35mm Summarit

2) Used M10 with 35mm Summarit

If you had to chose one today what would it be? 

My field of work is doc photography and photojournalism and need a non obtrusive camera that'll be good for the next 4-5 years. This will be paired with my DSLR with the standard zooms. 

Thanks in advance

I would say the M10 -- if it were me.  It is smaller, newer and quieter. 35mm is a good choice for focal length.  The M10 should last for 4-5 years; so should the M240 but after 5 years with the M10 you will have a 5 year old camera and after 5 with the M240 you will probably have an 8 or 9 year old camera.

If you prefer 28mm, go with the M10 and the 28.

@Eikyo09 If you want 'non-obtrusive' then the M240-P will provide that.Clean examples can be picked up at really good prices compared with the M10.

All digital cameras will lose their value. The lenses won't lose value and may appreciate.

The difference between the M240-P and the M10 is minimal. I tried an M10 last year and couldn't see the point in spending so much to "upgrade" to a camera that had fewer facilities, had the same 24MB sensor and was a couple of mm thinner.

Now I have tried the M10-P I could be persuaded. The shutter is so much quieter and that makes it even more unobtrusive. Also the lack of badging adds to the unobtrusiveness.

In summary, if it is for a one-off job go for the cheapest camera with the best lenses you can afford. If the client's budget will stretch then buy or hire the M10-P and get the best quality lenses you can.

• Like 3

I’d strongly recommend you try to see and hold both cameras and decide which feels best to you. Both are excellent, and I’d hope both will still be fine in 5 years time. 

Read the reviews (some rave about the M10, although plenty point out the outputs are similar).  Most (not all) discussion I’ve read has concentrated on the ergonomics and simplicity.

If you try them both and prefer the 240, you’ve got a preferred camera and an extra lens.  Or you may prefer the M10.

Whichever you choose you’ll have a camera that has been claimed as ‘best camera ever’ at some point.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I'm still leaning more towards the M-P 240 for the following reasons:

- More discreet with no branding (could always tape the logo on the M10 though).

- Same 2GB buffer as M10.

- Switch from S - C - T directly from the top of the camera instead of menu seems more convenient.

- A few mm thicker but will brass nicely over time unlike M10 also no needed for screen protectors due to the sapphire glass.

- From what I've read the M10 ISO dial is not as functional as the M-P240 and some have reported issues with it failing.

- About 2k price difference on the used market between M-P240 and M10. If I find a M10 with a $1500 difference or remainder warranty perhaps this would be a better choice.

- In 4-5 years I'll have a very old camera but more lenses I can bring to a used M-P10.

• Like 3

Eikyo09,

I don't want/need to convince you, just some more thoughts.

- I do keep M240/262/M-D along with M10 (in digital,  😉 for film another story)

- when I use other M for sometime before picking M10, I feel a kind of "faster response of M10" (so I wrote "M10 refined M" )

- I don't use much the "Continous firing", but when I use the "C" on my M240/262, I feel a kind of joke with those 3f/s

(while I need faster firing on M10, I just can take those 3f/s in "Single mode setting" the camera responds to my "fast release finger" )

👍

Last sentence : each M can do what I want it to do, that's what I've learn (just learn the plus minus and go beyond that with each one)

• Like 1

Shutter sound, another story ...

When I bought the M(type 262), I thought it was quieter than what was in real (after all, that was advertized for), then in use it just sound "digital",

comparing with other film M.

As M user, I don't worry much about the quieter M : my film M are all quiet enough for me.

To answer your question : M240 sounds differently from M(262) and M-D as  M10 but this last one  not "significantly" quieter than M240.

Just use them, I'm sure that after a while, you would not notice the sound of each.

In quiet places, like in desert church, we'd hardly hear them.

In less quiet places, they're as quiet as can be mechanical shutter.

• Thanks 1

My general advice with these things are to send more money on the Lens and less on the Camera: a 10-yo lens would hold much more value than a 10-yo digital camera.

So I'd say... M240 + a better 35mm lens. The FLE Summilux is stupid expensive but I love it. Otherwise the Summicron ASPH  is fantastic too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ezc203 said:

My general advice with these things are to send more money on the Lens and less on the Camera: a 10-yo lens would hold much more value than a 10-yo digital camera.

So I'd say... M240 + a better 35mm lens. The FLE Summilux is stupid expensive but I love it. Otherwise the Summicron ASPH  is fantastic too. 

Everything I've read of the Summarit 2.5 or 2.4 is that it matches and sometimes outperforms (flares) the Summilux and Summicron at smaller apertures. Most of my work has been shot at f4 and above I can buy a used Summarit for about 1K so I don't know what would be the point of spending double for f2 or more for the Summilux. Also isn't the Summarit the smallest of the three?

37 minutes ago, Eikyo09 said:

Everything I've read of the Summarit 2.5 or 2.4 is that it matches and sometimes outperforms (flares) the Summilux and Summicron at smaller apertures. Most of my work has been shot at f4 and above I can buy a used Summarit for about 1K so I don't know what would be the point of spending double for f2 or more for the Summilux. Also isn't the Summarit the smallest of the three?

Oh then go for the M10 + Summarit 

Both M10 and M240 have Leica only IQ,  There is difference, but any strong preference between the two should belong to only the super experts. To be really picky on the IQ, especially in the taste of coloring, I found the old M9 was the best amont M digitals as well as SL and TL. But not enough to ignore the other features.

For second hand stuffs, given the huge price difference, I would go for M240. The ebay price is about half of M10. I particularly likr its weather seal. Very helpful when I went to Iceland and in bad weather. No, Still, Iwould not abuse it. 

Using the saved money to invest in Leica lens is the perfect choice. A “wiseman” once said, spend the money on lens, not the camera. 

• Thanks 2

Have owned an MP240 since January.  It is my only digital camera.  Have seven different M mount lenses to go with it.  Some are Leica, some are Zeiss and a few are Voightlander.  My suggestion is an MP240.  And there are a lot of great M mount lenses out there that do not necessarily have the Leica brand.  Of course, you pays your money and make your choices.

I bought a used M240. In addition a 28mm Elmarit. For both Excellente parts I only paid 2/3 of a M10 Bodys.
Nevertheless, top condition. When the camera stops working or I give it away, I lose nothing more than (of the Vallue) a new M10 body.