astrostl

21 SEM: loose aperture ring?

I have a few lenses for comparison here - a ZEISS 35/1.4, ZEISS 35/2.8, Summilux-M 50/1.4. All three of those (esp. the ZEISSes) are extremely, audibly, tightly, snappily clicky.

My 21/3.4 SEM makes a dull click by comparison, and is easy enough to move that I often find it wandered off to another aperture. For those of you with the SEM, and especially with any of those other lenses for comparison, is this in the normal range for it or did I get a dud? Thanks!

My 21/3.4 SEM's clickiness (is that english?) could be better as well. Same for my 35/1.4 FLE and 28/2 v2, among others, but some lenses like my 35/2 asph, 50/1.4 asph and 28/2.8 asph, let alone most if not all my pre-asph lenses, are more clicky. I would not worry too much about that unless you feel that your aperture ring is too loose in which case your lens needs probably some minor adjustment.

4 hours ago, lct said:

My 21/3.4 SEM's clickiness (is that english?)

I find differing levels of clickiness in my lenses but, while I might prefer one tactile profile over another (11606 "wins" here), in actual use I never pay any attention. Have selections ever changed themselves? Sure, as has focus e.g. by the tab rubbing against clothing or brush. These controls require constant watching and adjustment because they're manual. Leica is bound not by personal preferences but to a bell curve of customer preference. The 35FLE's "spinning" aperture ring is another matter. The solution is to send all your lenses and cameras to a repair shop to have the clickiness and focus set to match each other and the camera. Do this every five years.

In English every word is englishable. It's very fluid in that regard.

23 hours ago, astrostl said:

I have a few lenses for comparison here - a ZEISS 35/1.4, ZEISS 35/2.8, Summilux-M 50/1.4. All three of those (esp. the ZEISSes) are extremely, audibly, tightly, snappily clicky.

My 21/3.4 SEM makes a dull click by comparison, and is easy enough to move that I often find it wandered off to another aperture. For those of you with the SEM, and especially with any of those other lenses for comparison, is this in the normal range for it or did I get a dud? Thanks!

The aperture ring on my 21SEM was very loose when I first bought it, and even after adjustment, it was still too slack for my taste. I'm still not sure whether it's intended to be like that or I just had a one-off.

The 21 SEM has the loosest aperture ring of any Leica lens I've owned. This is the only irritating thing about this lens. I had mine looked at while it was in for service on a different issue and it came back with no change. I've also handled other 21 SEMs with a similar loosey-goosey aperture ring, so I think this is just the nature of these lenses. 

As noted in other posts, this seems to be a new trend with recent Leica lenses: many of them come out of the box with aperture rings looser than one would want them to be. I appreciate it's a matter of taste, but my experience is that they are definitely looser than they used to be. Anyway, it's a quick and easy fix, and Leica can tighten the ring for you.

Mine is nice and tight. Exactly what I expect from Leica lens.

It’s called the luxurious clicks. Just like the 50 Summicron apo. 

I couldn’t stand it.