M240 and elmar 135 4.0 (1961)

tjh1023

Your photos certainly demonstrate what a good lens it is. Did you focus using the rangefinder?  I find it difficult with my 135mm Tele Elmar but get excellent results using live view with the EVF. It is possible that my lens would benefit from calibration.

I did focus using the range finder, I did use a 1.25x magnifying eye piece. It does make it easier to focus. I did get some wind just as I took the f22 shot, so a little movement. I am very happy at iso 2000 they look very nice. I didn’t do a thing to them other than crop and make the large photo a little small for the web otherwise sooc jpeg. I just switch to the range finder and Leica about 7 months ago. I couldn’t be happier, a definit higher price for the equipment but well worth it in my opinion. I believe it makes you more integrated in each photo you take. 

Edited by tjh1023

Thanks for the information. You did well with the rangefinder focusing. The magnifying eye piece is a good idea. I have been using Leica M cameras since I bought a second hand M2 in the 1970s. My M240 has been neglected a bit lately in favour of my new toy, a Leica CL but I still keep returning to my rangefinder.

Leica M240 and Tele-Elmar 135 is incredible! You can get very distinctive images. You might feel that you are a painter rather than a photographer, it is that good. It has a unique OOF rendering. The only drawback is the minimum f stop! One stop faster this lens would be marvel.

You can see my other 135 Tele-Elmar photographs I uploaded to my account on 500px: 

https://500px.com/metintext

Leica M240+Tele-Elmar 135mm f4 @4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is my share, shot with the Leica M 240 and Tele-Elmar 4/135 1960s: 

• Like 2

I have both 135 lenses, Elmar (1960) and Tele-Elmar (1965+).  Tbh I don't find a significant difference in IQ, but I suppose if I pixel-peeped and looked hard enough I would find one.  The Elmar is physically longer but at the same time, lighter, AND it has a tripod attachment. The T-E lens head comes off for use with a short focus mount, thus rendering it useful on a DSLR; however this isn't necessary with mirrorless cameras.  Interestingly (and probably due entirely to pure luck with sample variation) my Elmar was spot-on with rangefinder focusing on digital M's, whereas my T-E required major surgery.  Image-wise, if all is in proper fettle, both lenses are capable of producing stunning results.  In fact I had an APO-Telyt for a while and sold it because the older and cheaper versions gave such splendid accounts of themselves.

Another shot with the M 240 and Elmar (with slight cropping)

• Like 2

At F9.5: 

Shot this today with a Lee Big Stopper: 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sblutter said:

Wish mine was that sharp.  Probably operator fault 😣

I assume you are using the rangefinder to focus. I have found it difficult to get sharp focus with my M240 using the rangefinder (which is fine with my other M lenses) but is very sharp when used with Live view and the EVF. I suspect that the lens might benefit from re calibration but as I now use it mainly with the CL I have not felt the need to go the the trouble and expense of sending the lens off for service. Have you tried using the lens on a camera with EVF?

Another shot with a 10 Stop Lee Big Stopper and 0.9 Grad ND: