X and AF speed questions

Geitekaas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hiya people,

I haven’t introduced myself yet, and I will. A few things in short: I am a musician (use to be a photographer in the nineties with mostly manual gear: Leica M 50 mm f2.0. Contax with Zeiss 85 mm f1.4 and 25 mm. Made my bread with it. Am planning to get back in Leica digital after a years of Sigma gear SD10/15/1M with 50 and 70 lenses.

I have a few questions:

1) I have been looking on youtube and found many AF speedexamples for the x1 and the x2. Little movies where you see how fast (or slow) the AF is. But I have to find one of the X itself? I really would like to see one. Is here someone that has such a nice little example of an X focussing on several different objects in a lighted room or outside?

2) I would like to know if the Olympus or Leica EVF also has the little focus rectangle that colors if something is in focus like on your lcd screen? Does it also has the focuspeaking as in the lcd? Otherwise, I would not have a use for a evf...

3) Is the focusring sturdy or loose? E.g. compared to the Q.

well, many questions, I hope I am not to much of a bother. I already am planning to buy a black Q this december. I know this to be a very good camera. However, for my wife (and also for  myself) I really would like this X gem. The X1/2 are to small for my taste. I ‘need’ a bigger camera😀 I have found a nice one almost new but it is a long ride so I would like to know beforehand...

have a great one!

Hello and welcome

I think by X, you are referring to the X-113.  I have and X-113 but have no real examples to share how fast or slow the AF is. I find it satisfactory for my needs. The manual focus for this type of camera with focus peeking works well.  The X-113 (unlike the X Vario) uses the Visoflex 020 that mounts to the hot shoe. I don't use my Viso a lot but it works very nicely and great to have a long when I need it. The Viso 020 will come on as your eye reaches the finder,  provides all of the info you'd see in the EVF, including focus peeking, and it also tilts. The focusing is not fly by wire but feels very solid! I think you said it with the word "gem". It's a really well designed camera. I will be interested if you pick one up that you don't find yourself wanting to use it over the Q!

David

Edited by DwF

Thanks for the extended reply!

Very usefull. So the X can not use the Olympus EVF then? That’s a shame because these are inexpensive.

I do not know about the last remark though😀 After a days shooting the Q in my homecountry, I was sold... but it does seem to be a very nice camera, the X that is. I do hope someone has a nice movie with the AF.

Thanks again

Happy to assist. The Viso is pricey, I found mine used at a good price. They do come up for sale used. It is a nice unit especially because it senses your eye at the finder so no need to play with switches. Here is a link I found to video with autofocus but maybe not what you are looking for. 

Best wishes,

David

He thanks for the reply.

With autofocus I meant STILL.  Look at this https://youtu.be/sTXmaI3Rg_M

On 11:50 is the start of the Sony and on 12:35 one can surely see how fast the Q is. Well, I am looking for this sort of test off the X. I just want to see how fast (or slow) the X is on focussing.

Too bad that the Olympus EFV does not work on the X and does on the X1. Now I have to spend at least another 350 euro to have one. I do not like LCD screens. never have. Never will:-) I have to reevaluate my thoughts on the X... Maybe only the Q then.... a 1500 euro for an EXTRA camera is to much, I reckon. Still, a fine camera it seems, that X.....

Edited by Geitekaas

Honestly, if you don't like those screens, I would pass on the X cameras. I tend not to like EVFs which was one reason the Sony RX 1R (I had two) didn't work for me.  I prefer real window cameras and the Fuji X Pro 2 is just that.    I prefer the files of the Leica to Fuji,  but while different than Leica, Fuji has a look all it's own and I like it too.