Shot at Dawn

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the National Memorial Arboretum.

The vast majority of the men shot at dawn in the First World War were pardoned in 2006. This is their memorial 

M240/24 Elmarit-M ASPH

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

The youngest of these men, were 16 years old. They lied about their age to get into the army. And the army cared for them like this. 

BTW, there is one stake for every man shot. And each one is named  

I can’t recommend this place highly enough. 

• Like 1

In my modest experience a lot of PTSD soldiers had serious issues before being drafted or enlisting. Imagine one example of being so poor or beaten down that the only escape from their situation was entering the Army during war. If you cannot imagine the trauma of war, try to imagine being released, thrown unprepared into civilian life mere days since your last fire-fight.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Charlie.

In WWII the last US soldier executed for desertion was named Eddie Slovik, a married ex-con drafted into the fray.  There was a book from the mid-'50s about him, and a few years later, a made for TV movie.

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2018 at 6:40 AM, stuny said:

I agree with Charlie.

In WWII the last US soldier executed for desertion was named Eddie Slovik, a married ex-con drafted into the fray.  There was a book from the mid-'50s about him, and a few years later, a made for TV movie.

In the Sixties so many GIs in Europe deserted, most of them Black, to Sweden that the military offered General Discharges and tickets home rather than court martial.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bravery and cowardice are two sides of the same coin.

I applaud you Brits for your humane memorium of men who suffered far more from the antecedent than the final bullet fired.

This, unfortunately, cannot happen in my country; as any sign of pathos for a brother (or sister) is seen as a failing in person and personality. It's every man (or woman) for himself/herself, you know, old chap.

Perhaps someday that will change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2018 at 8:16 PM, abrewer said:

Bravery and cowardice are two sides of the same coin.

I applaud you Brits for your humane memorium of men who suffered far more from the antecedent than the final bullet fired.

This, unfortunately, cannot happen in my country; as any sign of pathos for a brother (or sister) is seen as a failing in person and personality. It's every man (or woman) for himself/herself, you know, old chap.

Perhaps someday that will change.

On a sidewalk near my home. A small sign of hope?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 3