Is this a IIId?

cjafe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all!

I recently got my hands on a Leica III and I'm a little confused about the specific model. It looks like a IIIc except it has a self-timer that is half missing. It is in a such nice condition; it looks like it has never seen day light before (still has original lens cap and original leather pouch) - so how could the self-timer be half missing/broken?

I made a Flickr album if anyone is curious. Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules 🙂

Thank you for any advice!

Edited by cjafe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, cjafe said:

Thank you. I thought it was a IIIC but was confused about the sync.

Inside the bottom plate there is written "764" in small with pencil. What could this mean?

Probably a work number for a CLA person or whoever did the sync conversation. My local repair guy in Dublin does this. A photo of the top plate with serial number should confirm what this is, but it does look like a post war IIIc with a sync conversion as Alan says. A more common conversion is from a IIIc to a Black Dial IIIf. The camera does not seem to suffer from the common chrome pitting found on post war models. Perhaps whoever did the sync work dealt with this as well.

William

I had not realised that the photo in the first post above had a click on feature. I have not seen this feature on the forum before. The serial number is from a range used for IIIcs in 1946-47. The writing of the last 3 digits of the SN on the base plate would have been done by the repair person to ensure that the plate got put on the correct camera after the work was done.

William

Edited by willeica

6 hours ago, willeica said:

I had not realised that the photo in the first post above had a click on feature. I have not seen this feature on the forum before. The serial number is from a range used for IIIcs in 1946-47. The writing of the last 3 digits of the SN on the base plate would have been done by the repair person to ensure that the plate got put on the correct camera after the work was done.

William

Thank you William, this is all very helpful. If a CLA installed the sync, would that mean that the camera has a lesser value, considering that it has been modified by a third party?

4 hours ago, cjafe said:

Thank you William, this is all very helpful. If a CLA installed the sync, would that mean that the camera has a lesser value, considering that it has been modified by a third party?

Generally speaking yes, 3rd party modifications lower the value… but IIIc is not a rare camera… 3rd party sync are rather common… and all in all I think that global conditions are more significant on setting the market value,  and there are many worn IIIcs… your one looks fine… I'd be not too worried for this issue.

1 minute ago, luigi bertolotti said:

Generally speaking yes, 3rd party modifications lower the value… but IIIc is not a rare camera… 3rd party sync are rather common… and all in all I think that global conditions are more significant on setting the market value,  and there are many worn IIIcs… your one looks fine… I'd be not too worried for this issue.

I agree 100%. A factory conversion to IIIf BD will normally have more value than an amateur conversion. The reduction in value due to 3rd party modification criterion generally only applies to the rarer or more sought after models from the 1920s and 30s. The camera shown above seems to be in nice cosmetic condition and the market will factor that in if it is being sold. The sync will not add value, but it should not take away too much either.

William

Great advice. Its really appreciated. It in such a nice condition that I doubt it has ever been used. As a current student, the closets thing I have been able to afford is a Canon "III", which has been a fun tool, but simple having the real deal in my own hands is a whole different joy!