New (!) review of the Q

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, MLochmansPhoto said:

......a lot of talk and no pictures, this is photography, not theology, and seems to be an issue with many Leica users, is all about the philosophy, but where are the pictures?

Could you please elucidate this last part? I'll understand and respect the fact that you have problems with his style of reviewing...as did some others over here. 

It's your last sentence that confuses me a bit.

Many Leica reviews  seemed so esoteric, all about the philosophy, the magic, the spirit, the hidden secret of photography and the legacy of Leica. People seem to be really trying hard to justify the fact they have a Leica, and still the photos are average. Its photography, not a written essay. Images should be doing the talking.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Malabito said:

Many Leica reviews  seemed so esoteric, all about the philosophy, the magic, the spirit, the hidden secret of photography and the legacy of Leica. People seem to be really trying hard to justify the fact they have a Leica, and still the photos are average.

I take your objection as pointing to the commercial goal of many reviews, or at least the author's wish to ingratiate the manufacturer, and to harvest similar enthusiasts. Yes, that's a ticket to click-through success and as long as we remain alert  such will not bother many of us. We have the virtue to ignore.

But the phenomena of magical thinking deserves great attention because it exists almost everywhere, and it parasites into ordinary thought so that the thinker cannot look from outside of the delusion.

I've more to write but will save it for now and leave with a paraphrase of a post that shook me. A new Leica customer wrote that he had at last been able to purchase a Leica and lens. He carried it on a short strap under his coat. He said that he did not take pictures; while he had his Leica he imagined what he saw before him imaged. "Just having this precious camera in my possession made everything better."

Eventually I found almost exactly the same expressed by a chap who began carrying an expensive concealed handgun.

Edited by pico

1 hour ago, Malabito said:

Many Leica reviews  seemed so esoteric, all about the philosophy, the magic, the spirit, the hidden secret of photography and the legacy of Leica. People seem to be really trying hard to justify the fact they have a Leica, and still the photos are average. Its photography, not a written essay. Images should be doing the talking.

Ahhh.....thanks for the explanation. Being a Q owner  I must confess to be guilty as charged to some of the things you point out above. But.....I don't do reviews. I watch them, then visit actual photographic forums like this one, and then I form an opinion and/or make a choice in what to buy. I do feel a kind of magic when looking at the pictures posted here on the Q forum. Also I think the legacy of Leica is not a myth, but a fact which is proved by the extreme standards they pursue with the lenses they make.

I also think that you could make a comparison between Leica and say...Rolls Royce.Both are considered High End,  Set extreme standards and are very expensive. The same religious, spiritual, magical and secretive praise is found there when it comes to reviewing those cars. Do car reviewers actually have enough milage under their right foot or own one? I don't think so. But like the camera reviewers they don't have to. People who can afford such a car or camera will look behind that and then decide or it's worth the investment.

When I decided to buy a Leica Q, I did it....not based on the reviews. The 329 pages in the Q image thread (not to mention all the others on this forum) did all the talking for me.

And yes.....I don't mind it at all if the Leica brand is surrounded by a touch of magic etc....😉😀 I feel it every time I pick her up and take her out for another photographic adventure.

Good light to you.

• Like 2

Where 

On 10/28/2018 at 3:56 PM, MLochmansPhoto said:

......a lot of talk and no pictures, this is photography, not theology, and seems to be an issue with many Leica users, is all about the philosophy, but where are the pictures?

Could you please elucidate this last part? I'll understand and respect the fact that you have problems with his style of reviewing...as did some others over here. 

It's your last sentence that confuses me a bit.

It doesn't really need much elucidation.
He is a former management consultant, currently an actor, YouTuber, and entrepreneur. He does a ton of reviews on YouTube - for Leica, Fuji, etc. - and invests each one with the same sense that this camera is something really special. But if you do an image search associated with his name, not much comes up, except pictures of his earnest and soothing face . . . if one wants to be soothed that's fine; if one wants to be shown, with pictorial evidence, that this reviewer's opinions are in some way worthwhile, not so much . . .

16 hours ago, pico said:

Eventually I found almost exactly the same expressed by a chap who began carrying an expensive concealed handgun.

Could get tricky in Europe. I've never seen a handgun in real life except on the hip of a policeman.