OIS - "ON", "OFF" or "AUTO"?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After firmware update (3.0) we have an option to choose "AUTO" option for OIS. In that mode it's off with shutter speeds equal or above 1/60s and on below 1/60s. I found it very useful. For faster speeds it's disabled for best possible sharpness, but in slower speeds, enabling it will greatly reduce the handshake blur.

In some extreme lighting conditions I managed to make sharp shots at 1/8s or even 1/4s handheld. It's very impressive and a game changer. I don't have to change it in the menu every time I want OIS. What is your experience? Do you use AUTO mode? What are your slowest handheld shutter speeds?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 10/17/2018 at 2:24 PM, tgdinamo said:

I also find it very useful for exactly the reason you stated. The only way it could be improved even further is if the camera could automatically sense when it's mounted on the tripod so it can turn off OIS no matter what shutter speed is selected.

Yup. My workaround for now: different user profiles for

• street
  • food (natural light)
  • flash/strobe light

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 7:51 AM, PiotrGoreckiJr said:

After firmware update (3.0) we have an option to choose "AUTO" option for OIS. In that mode it's off with shutter speeds equal or above 1/60s and on below 1/60s. I found it very useful. For faster speeds it's disabled for best possible sharpness, but in slower speeds, enabling it will greatly reduce the handshake blur.

In some extreme lighting conditions I managed to make sharp shots at 1/8s or even 1/4s handheld. It's very impressive and a game changer. I don't have to change it in the menu every time I want OIS. What is your experience? Do you use AUTO mode? What are your slowest handheld shutter speeds?

Hello Piotr, are you 100% sure about this statement "In that mode it's off with shutter speeds equal or above 1/60s and on below 1/60s"?

on Leica italian site and other site it is written that "This setting enables automatic activation of optical image stabilisation at shutter speeds of 1/60 s and slower." without specifying if it is on and off at 1/60s. I had the feeling that it is off including 1/60s but you are the only one I found specifying it. Many thanks,

Davide

Edited by DIENDI70
  • Like 1

I am not a linguist, but the english and german instruction texts surely suggest that OIS can help with slow shutter speeds, but is not necessary/counterproductive at higher shutter speeds. And thus that OIS on is only on for low shutter speeds.

1 hour ago, LexS said:

I am not a linguist, but the english and german instruction texts surely suggest that OIS can help with slow shutter speeds, but is not necessary/counterproductive at higher shutter speeds. And thus that OIS on is only on for low shutter speeds.

Thanks for your reply. Yes this was clear, but this AUTO feature is very handy, but since the shutter speed always goes down to 1/60s when you shoot inside a room  it is very important to understand if the OIS activate automatically at 1/60th or lower. I found this post stating something about it very precisely and I would like to know where and how he found out it.

Many thanks,

Davide

I can’t answer your below 60 question. In general I keep it on auto. I printed out a little dynotape sticker to remind me to switch it off when I use a tripod and set it next to the tripod bush. In other words, I find it easy to forget

Being a relatively new user of the Q and having read most of the posts on this forum, I set my OIS to auto and have been extremely pleased with the sharpness at 1/60. That being said, I do have a question for the more experienced users. Just what adverse effects would it have being on and mounted to a tripod at let's say a slower speed of 1/30 to 1 second?  Would OIS somehow make it less sharp?

9 minutes ago, Siriusone59 said:

Being a relatively new user of the Q and having read most of the posts on this forum, I set my OIS to auto and have been extremely pleased with the sharpness at 1/60. That being said, I do have a question for the more experienced users. Just what adverse effects would it have being on and mounted to a tripod at let's say a slower speed of 1/30 to 1 second?  Would OIS somehow make it less sharp?

From my experience with the OIS in the 24-90SL, the image drifts sideways in the EVF and the resultant image is not sharp. This drift is most obvious when using focus magnification, and makes manual focus difficult. It happens at all shutter speeds, though I guess AF masks it in the final image at faster speeds. I don't have the Q, but you could try it for yourself and see what happens.

8 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

From my experience with the OIS in the 24-90SL, the image drifts sideways in the EVF and the resultant image is not sharp. This drift is most obvious when using focus magnification, and makes manual focus difficult. It happens at all shutter speeds, though I guess AF masks it in the final image at faster speeds. I don't have the Q, but you could try it for yourself and see what happens.

Thank you for taking time to explain the issue, now I will know what to watch for.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 8:58 PM, Mr.Q said:

Yes that is a good question. I'd like to know too if OIS in AUTO mode is activated or not at 1/60s.

In playback, you can see the OIS icon in the LCD.  In Auto OIS, if OIS is OFF, there is a small "x" over the icon.  At 1/60 and above, there is an "x".   At 1/50 and below, there is no "x".   Ergo, Auto OIS seems to be OFF at 1/60, and ON below that.

• Like 5