Anybody interested in a 90mm: Summilux M 1:1,5/90 ASPH

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 5 Stunden schrieb ianman:

No. What would be the point? For example, the 28mm Summaron-M is not in the list of my M9... because all 28mm Summaron-M lenses are coded. I guess only older lenses of which uncoded examples exist are manually selectable. This makes sense.

Usually you are right that new lenses which come only coded are not in the list - though not with the Summaron. It is in the list for manual lens selection of the M10.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb luigi bertolotti:

Good idea… indeed a Summilux 1,5/90 ("twin" of the 1,25/75) is rumored by some time : see Leicarumors and also the Forum.. it's even in the official "Leica Poster" , but without a declared 6 bit code, contrary to the available lenses :  probably a code has been issued… Adobe took notice and listed it in new version of LR as a recognizable lens… which lens was mounted in your picture, Paulus ? Supposing that 1 bit only was misread… we could speculate by "reverse reasoning" what's the code of the 1,5/90... B)

The lens in the picture was an Elmarit-M 1:2.8 /24 ASPH an "oldie" . There were some issues with earlier  photo's. First you see on photo 423 that the  Elmarit-M 1:2.8 /24 ASPH is still written in Lightroom. With photo 424 without changing the lens, it has been altered in " not selected " 425 is again  Elmarit-M 1:2.8 /24 ASPH, 426 is " not selected " 427 " not selected" 428" not selected" 429 " not selected " this stays until 432 in this capture , the picture is black ) no record ? ( see photo ) . It stays " not selected " until 447. In this picture the Summilux -M 1:1,5/90 ASPH is written until 458, which was the last capture of the day and I noticed it in Lightroom. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Paulus
forgot photo

vor 9 Stunden schrieb luigi bertolotti:

True… which makes to repeat our question to Paulus… which lens had you on ? Which frame did you see in the VF ?

If it was the35/ 90mm frame. Not uncommon for the Elmarit -M 24 1:2.8 /24 ASPH.... 

vor 7 Stunden schrieb ianman:

Looking again at the exif data, something is bothering me.

It indicates "Summilux-M 1:1.5/90 ASPH." and yet, when I look at all the other coded lenses, the nomenclature is different. In the list provided on this page, the nomenclature is familyName-M + focalLength + maxAperture + info. With this "new" lens, it is quite different with the maxAperture preceding the focal length and being written 1:1.5 instead of the f/1.5 format. Taking the standard notation format, the exif should read: "Summilux-M 90mm f/1.5 ASPH."

This may be nothing, or it could be that someone (not mentioning any names here Paul 😉) is playing an elaborate joke. After all, it's very easy to modify a files exif data.

Haha! Sadly I never joke..:-) No what you see is what you get. I have a reputation for being honest in the forum I think. 

• Like 2

vor 7 Stunden schrieb ianman:

Why do you keep repeating what has already been posted? What is the point? Do you think that the exif data magically changes because you open it on your computer?

No need to read them. We talked about Exifs and here they were. So simple.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, ianman said:

No. What would be the point? For example, the 28mm Summaron-M is not in the list of my M9... because all 28mm Summaron-M lenses are coded. I guess only older lenses of which uncoded examples exist are manually selectable. This makes sense.

Same for my M240 but it's just a firmware issue i suspect as the 28/5.6 is listed in my digital CL as well as several if not all current coded lenses.

vor 26 Minuten schrieb UliWer:

Is your lens coded, or did you select it manually from the list?

I think a 24mm should trigger the frames for 35/135mm - but I may be wrong about this.

Yes. my 24mm is coded. With my 24mm lens and 35 mm lens the frames are the same both on MP and 240 so I think it's 35/135. My mistake. 

Edited by Paulus

So, Paulus, you mounted an Elmarit 24 asph, with lens recognition ON : let's look at the code : Elmarit 24 is 011001 … and supposed that the misread was on a single bit… we can conclude that the Summilux 90 1,5 has code 111001 … if I'm not wrong, this is the only unused code of the six that you can obtain altering ONE bit to 011001 :

111001 : unused - summilux 90 ?  (btw seems to me that currently Noctlilux 75 is the only 111xxx code)

001001 : Elmarit 135 2,8

010001 : Summarit 35 2,4

011101 : Summilux 35 1,4 FLE

011011 : Elmarit 28 IV

011000 : Elmarit 21 2,8 asph

Edited by luigi bertolotti

vor 41 Minuten schrieb luigi bertolotti:

So, Paulus, you mounted an Elmarit 24 asph, with lens recognition ON : let's look at the code : Elmarit 24 is 011001 … and supposed that the misread was on a single bit… we can conclude that the Summilux 90 1,5 has code 111001 … if I'm not wrong, this is the only unused code of the six that you can obtain altering ONE bit to 011001 :

111001 : unused - summilux 90 ?  (btw seems to me that currently Noctlilux 75 is the only 111xxx code)

001001 : Elmarit 135 2,8

010001 : Summarit 35 2,4

011101 : Summilux 35 1,4 FLE

011011 : Elmarit 28 IV

011000 : Elmarit 21 2,8 asph

I'm not clear, that the " misread" was on a single bit. I cleaned the code. I happend to find one black piece of tiny plastic ( lenscapplastic I suppose ) on the first bit and something unclean on the last bit. The black piece was on the white/first  bit so......But nice to read, that this would make the puzzle somewhat more plausible.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Paulus said:

Haha! Sadly I never joke..:-) No what you see is what you get. I have a reputation for being honest in the forum I think. 

I wasn't questioning your honesty, please accept my sincere apologies if my comment came across that way. A practical joke is always a good thing, particularly in the crazy GAS world of digital cameras and lenses 🙂

• Like 3

On 10/17/2018 at 2:04 AM, ianman said:

Looking again at the exif data, something is bothering me.

It indicates "Summilux-M 1:1.5/90 ASPH." and yet, when I look at all the other coded lenses, the nomenclature is different. In the list provided on this page, the nomenclature is familyName-M + focalLength + maxAperture + info. With this "new" lens, it is quite different with the maxAperture preceding the focal length and being written 1:1.5 instead of the f/1.5 format. Taking the standard notation format, the exif should read: "Summilux-M 90mm f/1.5 ASPH."

In Lightroom, I see that different real Leica camera's give different results having the same lens (which bothers me). The firmware is not consistent. 

Here is a list where you see various entries of the same lens, in different formats. And sometimes the same name but 'seen' in Lightroom as a different lens. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And we have German (mit) and two formats for the aparture (1:2/50 Leitz and 1:1.4) and on the Monochrome and M8 the rendering differs so lenses apear twice. They call that a legacy.

It makes it hard to select a single lens from the metadata. I once had a habit of correcting things, but made the mess even worse. 

If Paulus were Banksky, he would have sold the virtual lens to a collectioneur.

albert

• Like 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Alberti:

In Lightroom, I see that different real Leica camera's give different results having the same lens (which bothers me). The firmware is not consistent. 

Well, if the lens detection makes any sense at all, it should should cope for correction of certain "qualities" inherent in the camera. Different sensor layouts of the M8 M9, M (Typ 240) and M 10 should have different corrections - in theory.

Though in practice the corrections are not really specific, if you do not use the M8 with wideangle lenses and UV/IR-Cut-Filters which may be very different. In some cases one may achieve "better" results choosing a correction for another lens - or just switching off all correction.

"Lens profiles" in Lightroom are completely unimportant. They may change some slight distortion - so muddling up the very character of a certain lens. I never use them.

Different corrections on different cameras with the same lens makes sense of course, but you would have hoped that the naming nomenclature would be consistent on all firmware versions of all Leica cameras. Which is what Albert is showing if I understand correctly. Bad marks for Leica there!

4 hours ago, ianman said:

Different corrections on different cameras with the same lens makes sense of course, but you would have hoped that the naming nomenclature would be consistent on all firmware versions of all Leica cameras. Which is what Albert is showing if I understand correctly. Bad marks for Leica there!

I'm too much inside the Software Ecosystem to not guess what has happened : versions versions versions … spanned within several years ... each one to be compiled in different languages…. fast turnaround of people at the final stage of "key in"... lack of well detailed and lifecycle- managed documentation… and the result , in this case, is "vagueness" of terminology…. it could be much worse… :P   

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 2