WLAN totally screwed up with latest FW 2.1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The latest FW update seems to have totally screwed up the WLAN facility on the CL. When I used to join a WLAN and after entering password it would advise me the camera's IP address, so that I could connect a laptop to the camera and using Leica Connect,  it would open thumbnail JPEG images on the card from which you could select, then download in full size. Now I get presented with a QR code which then says "Connect the device". Neither my laptop nor an iPad recognise this QR code - completely useless. For quick JPEGs for posting online, I used the Leica Connect facility all the time. 

Please bring it back!

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

I have sent an email to Leica Support UK. On past experience, I should receive a reply in three or four months. I think I will resend it to Jimmy Hughes' personal email. 

Wilson

The beta releases have already been a major improvement: the Leica CL app never worked worth a darn on my systems, where LeicaFOTOS works pretty darn well for most things I'd want to do with it. Attachment to an existing WLAN is one of the few things (for me) that isn't working yet. 

7 hours ago, JayBird said:

The new Fotos app wont be available until October 25. Once it has been published, the problem should be solved. Fotos will take the place of the existing CL app. Hopefully it will be a major improvement.

Is not that just for iOS devices, iPad and iPhone? I want connect to camera via an existing WLAN for laptops. Whereas I am happy to read books, send messages and make phone calls on my iOS devices, for work, I much prefer a computer with a trackpad and decent keyboard. In that iOS devices have already the facility to work with the CL and SL by means of the camera creating a network, there was absolutely no need to mess around with the join WLAN network facility. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can confirm the same behaviour with the SL and Windows, whether you create a WLAN or join a WLAN (my home wifi). In both cases when going to the IP address shown on the LCD, you get a label 'SL Connect' but nothing else.

Pity.

EDIT - CORRECTION

It does work, at least in part. I had my SL set to DNG only. Once I set it to DNG+JPG, the JPG images showed up when the SL joined my home wifi network and I pointed my browser at the IP address shown on the rear screen. I'll check other functionality of this on the CL, including if it works with a SL-created WLAN.

EDIT 2

Yes, it works with the SL and a SL-created WLAN, but I realise why I did not use this facility much previously. You can only download JPGs at current screen resolution which on my surface pro is only 1620x1080.

Edited by LocalHero1953

FOTOS comes in both iOS and Android flavors, running currently as two different beta tests.  I have both and they look the same, but don't always work the same.

With the M10 and the CL, the new firmware appears to remove the ability to connect to an existing WLAN.  The SL keeps that functionality.  The M10 and CL menus go directly into the QR-code based recognition for direct connection (the first time) and FOTOS remembers the code for the future.  On my SL, I choose between two ways of setting up the WLAN, so I think the network connection is still there but I have not tested it.  The SL "Connect failed" message occurred with FOTOS before the current version 24.1 or later releases of FOTOS but I no longer see it.

I've looked at the CL, using Windows. Although I can make the CL join my home wifi, it does not then display its IP address on the LCD, as the SL does.

I can see the CL on my network, but it is treated as a media device, and can only be opened in Windows Media Player, which shows files, but not as images or anything that can be downloaded. I can get the CL's IP address from Windows Explorer, but if I point my browser at it I get an error message 'not allowed to access.....'.

So, yes, I confirm Wilson's experience with OS, that the latest f/w has disabled access by wifi from a PC/Mac.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I can confirm the same behaviour with the SL and Windows, whether you create a WLAN or join a WLAN (my home wifi). In both cases when going to the IP address shown on the LCD, you get a label 'SL Connect' but nothing else.

Pity.

EDIT - CORRECTION

It does work, at least in part. I had my SL set to DNG only. Once I set it to DNG+JPG, the JPG images showed up when the SL joined my home wifi network and I pointed my browser at the IP address shown on the rear screen. I'll check other functionality of this on the CL, including if it works with a SL-created WLAN.

EDIT 2

Yes, it works with the SL and a SL-created WLAN, but I realise why I did not use this facility much previously. You can only download JPGs at current screen resolution which on my surface pro is only 1620x1080.

Paul, 

It used to work that once you had opened the JPEG full screen, if you hover over the top left hand corner of the image, you will get an option to download in full resolution. It does this (at least on Safari) by opening a new tab, headed with the file name and resolution. I have checked and this still works on the SL but sadly not on the CL, which was my choice for quick web photos. 

Leica are now aware of this problem on the CL and Jimmy Hughes of Leica UK has forwarded it to Wetzlar for resolution. 

Wilson

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Is not that just for iOS devices, iPad and iPhone? I want connect to camera via an existing WLAN for laptops. Whereas I am happy to read books, send messages and make phone calls on my iOS devices, for work, I much prefer a computer with a trackpad and decent keyboard. In that iOS devices have already the facility to work with the CL and SL by means of the camera creating a network, there was absolutely no need to mess around with the join WLAN network facility. 

I am not sure. I have not tried to connect to my home network. I typically insert the SD card into a card reader to transfer photos. 

20 minutes ago, JayBird said:

I am not sure. I have not tried to connect to my home network. I typically insert the SD card into a card reader to transfer photos. 

I don't know the exact speed at which wireless upload occurs, but FOTOS takes something like 10 sec to upload one DNG and I can upload 1-200 DNG files from an SD card to my Mac laptop in a minute or two.  So I will do any bulk upload from the card as long as there is still a socket or a cable to let me do so.  Before I try to use my SL in some sort of studio mode with continuous uploading of the DNGs during a session to something like LIS or a hot folder, I would want to have external AC power to keep all those bits flowing.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

36 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I don't know the exact speed at which wireless upload occurs, but FOTOS takes something like 10 sec to upload one DNG and I can upload 1-200 DNG files from an SD card to my Mac laptop in a minute or two.  So I will do any bulk upload from the card as long as there is still a socket or a cable to let me do so.  Before I try to use my SL in some sort of studio mode with continuous uploading of the DNGs during a session to something like LIS or a hot folder, I would want to have external AC power to keep all those bits flowing.

As I do not travel with a laptop, I only transfer the files from the SD cards to my iMac once I am back at home.  As such, the file transfer part of FOTOS does not interest me. I am more interested in using it for a remote release for the CL. All that being said, a 10 second upload time would be concerning. I can see that limiting the usability. 

For bulk downloading of particularly DNG's I agree that an SD card into a reader is the way to go (BTW thanks a bunch Apple for deleting the SD reader from modern MBP's - I assume they think everyone now takes their photos on an iPhone). However for just one or two JPEG's, the WLAN connection is/was very useful. On my CL, I first have to unscrew the grip to access the SD card

Wilson

I found Leica FOTOS (in beta) useful for reviewing what I'd captured during a day's shooting session, downloading one or two DNGs to my iPad Pro for processing on the way. That's how I selected and rendered photos to post while I was traveling with no access to my home desktop system. I could also do it with the Lightning->SD Card Adapter, but that was a bit less convenient because it takes a good long while for Photos on iOS to walk through 1000 DNG image files and extract the thumbnail so I could see what to download. (...And that's how I do it when traveling with my M-D. :))

I've not found much use for the ability to review photos on the desktop system's web browser. As long as I'm sitting at my desk, I see very little reason to not stick the card in a reader and see anything on it at much higher speed. It saves on battery in the camera and is always going to be a lot faster.