M lenses advice for travel: only 2

Mikewest

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Believe erl said it best — what do you normally use?  A corollary is what do you want your photos to show?  People?  Buildings?  Nature (Central Park)?   Human Nature — anywhere?  Vistas (from top of Empire State, Rock/GE Center)? And so on

Believe if took five lenses would find good photos with each of them at some time.  That’s why like erl’s thought that if you like people for example, use your regular people’s lens which can be a 35, 50 APO, 21, 90 and more.

Find 35 or 50 most practical but YMMV.  Live in NY for 40 years and my photos varied over time and depended on where I lived, walked, visited or whether showing visitors around at the standard places.

Believe its more about you and what’s important for you to capture or express yourself.

On 10/26/2018 at 4:39 AM, budjames said:

My vote is for the Summicron 35. Light, small, sharp and easy to focus. 60% of my images are shot with this lens.

I am going to New Zealand and Australia for vacation in a few months. I will take an M10 with Summicron 35, and a second M10 with Summilux 50. I will also have a 18 Super Elmar and Summicron 75 in my Billigham bag. I should be ready for anything with this kit.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

We went to New Zealand and the Cook Islands in 2011. That was early in my Leica addiction. I used 3 lenses: 35mm Summicron 70% ;  24mm Elmar-M 15%; 50mm Summilux 15%. The 35mm Summicron was the workhorse. Some photos are here. Later trips have often used the 28mm Summicrom with the 50mm Summilux. Its looks like your kit will have it all the bases covered. Enjoy your trip.

12 hours ago, RoySmith said:

We went to New Zealand and the Cook Islands in 2011. That was early in my Leica addiction. I used 3 lenses: 35mm Summicron 70% ;  24mm Elmar-M 15%; 50mm Summilux 15%. The 35mm Summicron was the workhorse. Some photos are here. Later trips have often used the 28mm Summicrom with the 50mm Summilux. Its looks like your kit will have it all the bases covered. Enjoy your trip.

Roy,

Thank you for sharing your expenses and photos.

I'm really looking forward to my first travels with my Leica kit. It is about 2 pounds heavier than my Fuji kit

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

I have the exact same theee lens set up as you.  Normally I take the 21 and 35 out for the day and then switch to the Noctilux at night. Sometimes I slip the Noctilux into my wife’s bag and she spends the day wondering why her bag is so heavy ;)

I often wonder if I should take the Noctilux at the start of the trip, but always find I very happy I did as I end up with some of my favorite photos from that lens. 

So I’d take all three and leave one or two in the hotel when you want a lighter day. But at least you have options then. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 7:57 PM, budjames said:

Roy,

Thank you for sharing your expenses and photos.

I'm really looking forward to my first travels with my Leica kit. It is about 2 pounds heavier than my Fuji kit

Regards,

Bud James

"expenses"! I meant to write "experiences". I had auto-spell check. Hah!

Regards,
Bud James

This topic is funny, it's more like a logical question then preference.  If I have 21,35 & 50 and allow to take 2 then it must be the both end numbers OR if I can take only 1 then it must be the middle number.  I don't even need to know what they are because it's logical. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me, it is not a matter of logic. It is more a matter of personal preference.

I have the 21, 35, and 90mm lenses. With these three, I am able to capture about 80% of the images I need.

If forced to take only one, it would be the 35. With it, I am able to capture about 50% if the images I need.

If forced to take only two, it would be the 35 and 90. With them, I am able to capture about 70% of the images I need.

Three-Lens Rangefinder Kit by Narsuitus, on Flickr

2 minutes ago, Narsuitus said:

For me, it is not a matter of logic. It is more a matter of personal preference.

I have the 21, 35, and 90mm lenses. With these three, I am able to capture about 80% of the images I need.

If forced to take only one, it would be the 35. With it, I am able to capture about 50% if the images I need.

If forced to take only two, it would be the 35 and 90. With them, I am able to capture about 70% of the images I need.

Three-Lens Rangefinder Kit by Narsuitus, on Flickr

the question was for 21,35 & 50 not 90.  try again

I took 28 and 40 lens for M-E on our trip to Manhattan in October 2017. I did family and a lot of street photography, because we only walked from bus terminal to everywhere.

UWA lens will do it and fast 35. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ko.Fe.