Aspect Ratios

When I shoot portraits or nudes, I usually end up cropping to 4x3. Because of this, I tend to use the full resolution of my Fuji GFX and cropped/lower resolution from the S. Not that it matters that much, as I've learned to leave some space around the subject to allow for later format changes, and there is plenty resolution left in an S file cropped to 4x3. But it is a consideration.

• 3 years later...

I find the 3/2 aspect ration quite narrow, what I would like is a view finder with 4/3 markings on it. Does anyone know if we can buy that. I know you can change the ground glass.

Would agree that on balance it isn't a bad aspect ratio. Because of the high resolution and wonderful glass we can extract enough quality. 

The Fuji medium format system is a squarer ratio which frankly does look very nice straight out of camera. 

But I would have never bought the Fuji GFX system because it overheats and have connectivity issues when really pushed. I once hired one for an advertising dance shoot. We really pressed the camera and took over 2000 frames in one day. Several times it almost gave up. Battery life wasn't good enough either. 

The Leica S system is amazing, no overheating, excellent battery life. 

My only concern is that one day we won't be able to source batteries for the S system. Just have to trust that Leica will keep on supporting it for years ahead.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Nick Guttridge said:

I find the 3/2 aspect ration quite narrow, what I would like is a view finder with 4/3 markings on it. Does anyone know if we can buy that. I know you can change the ground glass.

Would agree that on balance it isn't a bad aspect ratio. Because of the high resolution and wonderful glass we can extract enough quality. 

The Fuji medium format system is a squarer ratio which frankly does look very nice straight out of camera. 

But I would have never bought the Fuji GFX system because it overheats and have connectivity issues when really pushed. I once hired one for an advertising dance shoot. We really pressed the camera and took over 2000 frames in one day. Several times it almost gave up. Battery life wasn't good enough either. 

The Leica S system is amazing, no overheating, excellent battery life. 

My only concern is that one day we won't be able to source batteries for the S system. Just have to trust that Leica will keep on supporting it for years ahead.

There are places that make custom batteries.  At least that's hopeful.