Jsalvador74

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's an image of my 8 month old 28mm Elmarit ASPH (latest generation). Purchased brand new, and after some very light use and immaculate care, the entire aperture ring came off during an event today (10.14.2018). This has not happened to me with my Fuji, Nikon, Canon, or Voigtlander lenses EVER. I am very disappointed to say the least. This isn't the first time I've had an issue with a brand new Leica I purchased so my disappointment comes from experience. Anyone else out there experienced something like this?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

No, this has never happened to me, buying new or used, lens or camera.

Even if you get a reply from someone here saying it has happened to them, it will add nothing to an assessment of Leica quality. Sometimes you will get a long series of posts about a particular issue that tell us something about a particular issue (e.g. M240 strap lugs) but most fault reports like this are nothing but one-off anecdotes that you will also see on Fuji, Sony, Nikon, Canon forums.

I hope the OP is not asking us what he should do now. That should be obvious.

• Like 3

Looks like someone forgot the blue Loctite on the grub screws...

I've had it before - on both Leica and non-Leica lenses, btw. These issues happen to all brands (and yes, I know, it shouldn't because Leica charges premium prices, etc.)

Probably a few minutes' fix - unfortunately, the lens will likely be away for a few weeks. Perhaps the dealer can assist in ensuring a fast service.

This should not happen at this price level but the Leica QC is not what it used to be anymore. I would not ask for a refund as you'll hardly find a better compact 28 but i would not accept a repair either and would ask for a replacement.

• Like 3

I had something similar happen to a V4 35 Cron.  These lenses are assembled with thread lock compound and no transverse setscrews and I suspect the previous owner(s) had mounted/dismounted them by grasping the hoods.  After repair it has never come loose, and I always mount/dismount holding the ribbed ring closest to the flange. 

This definitely is not to insinuate user error as the reason for @Jsalvador74 lens failure, but I, too, find the Elmarit 28 ASPH my hardest lens to mount/unmount, because the ribbed ring is so thin and the lens overall is so tiny and light, which, of course, was one of the reasons for buying it in the first place. It is very tempting to grab it just anywhere, if in a hurry, but care should be taken to mount it deftly pinching the lens base.

On the M9 it has some serious color hue issues https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/258854-green-cast-in-m9-with-new-firmware-1204/?do=findComment&comment=3612202 , but on the M10 and on film it is one of my favorite lenses. Hard as that may seem today, don’t let this experience get between you and this propably most underrated M lens. @Jsalvador74: Good luck with a speedy replacement!

Btw I had a „wandering“ focus ring on a brand new Apo 90 Asph bough from the flagship store in Wetzlar. I got a replacement, which showed severe focussing accuracy issues due to a defect in the rangefinder cam transmission. Instead of yet another replacement, I honored a Leica repair technician‘s suggestion to hand it over to CS to have it brought up to spec ‚properly‘. Which they did. Never had another problem with that lens. But I can sympathize with the bout of brand loyality anguish ;)

Edited by schattenundlicht

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and comments – that includes you Pico :)
As with my M262's battery and electronics issue (1 week after purchased brand new in 2016), Leica is indeed fixing this one RUSHED. So, they gave me an ETA of 2 weeks in lieu of the usual 10 weeks (according to them). Similarly, I've asked for a CLA. This is a first world problem so I'm not going to get bogged down. However, as someone who  designs user experiences and is passionate about design and manufacture, I can't fathom how something like this can come out of Germany – times they are a changin'. Take care everyone and again, thanks!

Edited by Jsalvador74
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Jsalvador74 said:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and comments – that includes you Pico :)
As with my M262's battery and electronics issue (1 week after purchased brand new in 2016), Leica is indeed fixing this one RUSHED. So, they gave me an ETA of 2 weeks in lieu of the usual 10 weeks (according to them). Similarly, I've asked for a CLA. This is a first world problem so I'm not going to get bogged down. However, as someone who  designs user experiences and is passionate about design and manufacture, I can't fathom how something like this can come out of Germany – times they are a changin'. Take care everyone and again, thanks!

My 2014 911 came complete with a software bug that would occasionally freeze the gas gage at around 1/4 tank. No apology fron them, not even an “oops”. 

My take is that optically Leitz/Leica has always been very good. Starting around the time of the M4-2 they used plastics for things that they probably shouldn't have. The flash socket on my M4-2 just broke off, had to glue it back on. Years ago I bought a brand new Elmarit 28 pre-ASPH and the hood was mounted upside down with the cut-out in the wrong place. Also the hood wouldn't mount straight. Leica repaired it by adding some set screw to keep it straight. Minor issues, but annoying none the less.

-Thomas

Manufacturing glitches can occur with any opto-mechanical product, as well as stochastic failures of electronic components. However, I find it reasonable for the customer, to expect meticulous pre-shipping quality control at the premium price that Leica asks for. This, unfortunately, does not seem to be the case. In a high volume, low price product range, having customers do the QC by returning faulty items might be OK. With luxury items, it is not. It would be unfair to deduce the above from the single unfortunate experience of the OT alone, yet from my own experience with multiple Leica items, there seems to be a somewhat systematic problem.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 1:14 AM, schattenundlicht said:

Manufacturing glitches can occur with any opto-mechanical product, as well as stochastic failures of electronic components. However, I find it reasonable for the customer, to expect meticulous pre-shipping quality control at the premium price that Leica asks for. This, unfortunately, does not seem to be the case. In a high volume, low price product range, having customers do the QC by returning faulty items might be OK. With luxury items, it is not. It would be unfair to deduce the above from the single unfortunate experience of the OT alone, yet from my own experience with multiple Leica items, there seems to be a somewhat systematic problem.

You nailed it Sir. This is exactly my sentiments. After all, my M6TTL, M7, M262, M10, Q, and accompanying lenses all came complete with guarantee cards signed by the individuals who assembled and inspected them last from the factory. On the other hand, my X100F, XT2, XPro2, and other photo equipment did not. Point is, my expectations of them are different and lately, I'm slowly waking up in amazement at how my Japanese made photo equipment, though lacking gestalt in the user experience department, are proving to be more reliable. Not attacking Leica nor anyone here but I can't help but make such an observation. YMMV obviously. 

In the German Forum exactly the same problem was reported lately (it was no Elmarit v. IV, but the last Elmarit asph., Leica repaired it in five days).

Like some other users I have had the experience that the whole front element of the 28mm Summicron got loose (one may find some threads about this if one tries a search). 

The manufacturer approach which Leica upholds does not always mean that you don‘t will see any problems with the product. A fully automatic production may be more reliable sometimes.