which film M for pro-use?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, A miller said:

This is all very true .  And as much as I dislike the typical digital photo album (especially ones which are plagued with auto-correct WB), I will say that I highly appreciate the conveniences of digital that have become engrained in the general wedding photographer's workflow.  The sheer volume of output that is expected from clients is completely different.  That is, unless you have that client who also really appreciates the aesthetics of film.

A miller, 

Great points. I love your work by the way! 

The digital workflow has certainly changed clients expectations of volume, but I find that film has actually lessened the workload to an extent by offering only 25 edited images for portraits and perhaps 100 to 150 images per wedding. I market this by using a "Fine Art meets documentary style approach to my film work and for the most part clients understand this and don't expect the high volume of digital. Their appreciation of film as an art form increases greatly too. Film sometimes allows for mistakes, unbeknownst to client of course, with OOF, under/over exposure, etc. under the guise of Fine Art. I'm certainly not advocating sloppy work, just that film has this freedom from opinion or restrictions because it's film. But in reality, we're really talking about a hybrid approach as clients still want online access to their photos!

To the OP, A Nikon F2AS with it's accurate meter is also a great choice. Get one with intact sound dampening and add a motor drive and your off...

Edited by Jdphoto
  • Like 2

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Jdphoto said:

A miller, 

Great points. I love your work by the way! 

The digital workflow has certainly changed clients expectations of volume, but I find that film has actually lessened the workload to an extent by offering only 25 edited images for portraits and perhaps 100 to 150 images per wedding. I market this by using a "Fine Art meets documentary style approach to my film work and for the most part clients understand this and don't expect the high volume of digital. Their appreciation of film as an art form increases greatly too. Film sometimes allows for mistakes, unbeknownst to client of course, with OOF, under/over exposure, etc. under the guise of Fine Art. I'm certainly not advocating sloppy work, just that film has this freedom from opinion or restrictions because it's film. But in reality, we're really talking about a hybrid approach as clients still want online access to their photos!

To the OP, A Nikon F2AS with it's accurate meter is also a great choice. Add a motor drive and your off...

Well said, and I love your approach.  Spoken like a genuine photographer.

And thanks for the compliment! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Am 17.11.2018 um 03:12 schrieb jwang149:

Film has unrivalled tonality and wonderful grain, I have not been brave enough to shoot 100% film at weddings, only to supplement digital. I would love to see how this progresses for you @frogfish, keep us updated.

Just shot my first small wedding on film. Once I got the images I share some with you guys.

I also bought a film M (0:

heiko

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 15 Stunden schrieb dkmoore:

Which one! 7 pages of discussion and you leave us in suspend!  :  )

You are right, I thought I wait to show the camera until I can also show some results. But I understand that some of you inally want to know what I got.
So here she is:

M7, Japan Edition, brown leather and MP viewfinder. I already made some minor modifications like I always do with my Leicas, but you cannot see it here...

heiko

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by frogfish
  • Like 1

Some explanations:

I first bought a nice M6 classic. Wonderful camera and I loved the mechanical feel.
However, for me the shutter-speed-dial was way too small. As I adjust my exposure with the shutter-speed and not the aperture I need it to work ergonomically. For me the M6 did not do the trick here. The M7 is much better in this regard.

First I thought I want the classic dial direction of the shutter speed. Because, it´s the same way as my Nikon FM2. This way I could later also add a cheaper M2 to the team. But as I said, the small dial. 

As you already pointed out, the M7 shutter dial goes in the other "modern" direction. Now it fits my digital Leicas, which is great but I discovered at the wedding that the combination with the Nikon FM2 drives me crazy. Focus and shutter-speed in opposite directions. So, I am going to sell my Nikon and get a Canon FE with a 50/1.4. So everything will move in the same direction (0:

This set-up I had at my first analog wedding: 

heiko

• Like 4

vor 2 Stunden schrieb sblitz:

why that pentax? i have read that the later models were much improved ....

maybe, but I do not want any bells and whistles. This is about a good lens and a large film format, nothing more (0:

It shoots like a dinosaur, but that is exactly what I love with this monster...

heiko

• Like 2

Dominique, no worry,

you are by all means excused.

My question of the "directions of. .." for Pentax was for Heiko as :

frogfish wrote at post#128

"... I discovered at the wedding that the combination with the Nikon FM2 drives me crazy. Focus and shutter-speed in opposite directions. So, I am going to sell my Nikon ..."

vor 38 Minuten schrieb a.noctilux:

Dominique, no worry,

you are by all means excused.

My question of the "directions of. .." for Pentax was for Heiko as :

frogfish wrote at post#128

"... I discovered at the wedding that the combination with the Nikon FM2 drives me crazy. Focus and shutter-speed in opposite directions. So, I am going to sell my Nikon ..."

With the Pentax i´s not such a problem, as I do not use it for the reportage. Its for the portrait shooting. Here I do not need to react that fast, do not need to make changes on the fly.

However, lusting for the Fuji 6x9, and here the focus is the "right" way again. 

heiko

High volume means CLA and repairs more often than occasional use.

M7 means only Leica will service and fix it. 

About professionalism. It was not uncommon to have Nikon and Leica. But mix of four different cameras... It is more like vacation set :).  

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Ko.Fe.:

High volume means CLA and repairs more often than occasional use.

M7 means only Leica will service and fix it. 

About professionalism. It was not uncommon to have Nikon and Leica. But mix of four different cameras... It is more like vacation set :).  

As I live in Germany and are Leica Pro-member service is not an issue.

Each camera of this set has its particular strength and is chosen carefully. I will just change the Nikon to Canon, the Diana and the Pentax have their place (0:
If you want to archive different looks you need to use different tools. 

heiko

If someone cares to see some results (0:

https://just-schmidt.com/gay-wedding/

the biggest challenge so far is the timing to when change the film. I keep training and can do it now without looking. Stil, I feel this needs to go much faster.
I was impressed by Ilford HP5 pushed to ISO 1600. 

heiko

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1