which film M for pro-use?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody (0:

Which film M would you recommend for high volume professional work?

I am a wedding photographer, shooting 25 big weddings a year. Have been using digital Leicas for years. Use mainly the 35 FLE or 35 Summicron IV.
On a usual 12 hour day I tend to shoot about 2500 images. This will be less when using film.

My plan is to shoot weddings on film only, mainly HP5, some Fuji 400H. I will also use a Nikon FM2 with a 50/1.4 (a SLR for being able to free-lensing).
I use manual flash later in the evening and for the dance-shots.

So, which film Leica would you choose? And why.

in case you wonder:
https://just-schmidt.com

thank you for your input!

Heiko

• Like 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For high rate/voluminous use, I'd use two motorized Ms for two film types, color & b& w.

First M to accept is M4-2, then M4-P = the less costy route ( with two Motor-M of course😏) .

If meter in camera M6 or MP if cost is acceptable.

If new, only MP or M-A ( two of them was my choice, New M-A from 2014 ).

• Like 2

Hats off to you for setting yourself this kind of challenge!

(A) Seriously:

For ease of use, speed, and peace of mind I would propably prefer an M7 for your portfolio. The workflow will be very similiar to the digital Ms that you are used to. Although the M7 has been discontinued very recently, there are some new ones still on stock in several Leica boutiques. Any other metered M would do, of course, but there are occasions when the M7’s automatic exposure will be useful. Freshly discontinued, there will be spare parts available for quite a number of years.

In a time critical wedding situation, even with an experienced eye, I would not wish to rely on „sunny 16“ or fumble with an external meter. The smaller handheld external meters are poor low light performers, as you are aware. And you won‘t like to bother yourself with a spotmeter the size of your camera.

(B) Tongue in cheek:

If you want to really impress the crowd, you can finish off with a group shot done with a 90 year old black/nickel LTM, preferrably with some fancy accessory attached ;) https://s3h5x8b3.stackpathcdn.com/uploads/monthly_10_2017/post-55580-0-88592800-1508654277.jpg. Or, even more rarified, use a Leica 250 reporter LTM with a monster roll of film to get you through the entire wedding... https://s3h5x8b3.stackpathcdn.com/uploads/monthly_08_2018/post-2578-0-60750800-1533371959.jpg

Kind regards

Mathias

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

vor 19 Minuten schrieb Jean-Michel:

Two M’s, unimportant which ones. One with one roll of colour film, the other with one roll of b&w. 72 exposures, way more than enough shots to properly document a wedding. Make each exposure count. 

you do not shoot weddings, right? (0:

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 17 Minuten schrieb pgk:

If you are being serious then the only camera to consider is a current model. You also need to register as a professional with Leica to ensure fast repair should this ever be needed. 

why do you recommend a current model? 

have been registered for years. Good advice, though.

Heiko

vor 25 Minuten schrieb schattenundlicht:

Hats off to you for setting yourself this kind of challenge!

(A) Seriously:

For ease of use, speed, and peace of mind I would propably prefer an M7 for your portfolio. The workflow will be very similiar to the digital Ms that you are used to. Although the M7 has been discontinued very recently, there are some new ones still on stock in several Leica boutiques. Any other metered M would do, of course, but there are occasions when the M7’s automatic exposure will be useful. Freshly discontinued, there will be spare parts available for quite a number of years.

In a time critical wedding situation, even with an experienced eye, I would not wish to rely on „sunny 16“ or fumble with an external meter. The smaller handheld external meters are poor low light performers, as you are aware. And you won‘t like to bother yourself with a spotmeter the size of your camera.

(B) Tongue in cheek:

If you want to really impress the crowd, you can finish off with a group shot done with a 90 year old black/nickel LTM, preferrably with some fancy accessory attached ;) https://s3h5x8b3.stackpathcdn.com/uploads/monthly_10_2017/post-55580-0-88592800-1508654277.jpg. Or, even more rarified, use a Leica 250 reporter LTM with a monster roll of film to get you through the entire wedding... https://s3h5x8b3.stackpathcdn.com/uploads/monthly_08_2018/post-2578-0-60750800-1533371959.jpg

Kind regards

Mathias

Have thought of the M7 as well. pros: the hot-shoe. As later in the day I use flash I need a fast an convenient way to put on a flash fast (Nissin i40)

What I read, the viewfinder is superior to the M6

A Mode ist sometimes useful, but I am more then happy to shoot fully manual

you are right, an internal light meter is mandatory.

thank you (0:

Heiko

• Like 1

1 minute ago, frogfish said:

you do not shoot weddings, right? (0:

Rarely now, but started doing so in the late 1960's with a 4x5 Speed Graphic and perhaps 12 holders, so 24 shots. I was of course a bit facetious with the 2 rolls limit given what is expected today by the clients. Planning to photograph using film gives you the opportunity to discuss with your clients what you think may be important to record  during the event and why you do not plan to record fluff that everybody will record quite well with cell phone cameras. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, frogfish said:

[...]
What I read, the viewfinder is superior to the M6

[...]

My own M7 is from 2002 and thus had the old, flare prone M6 type viewfinder. I had it converted recently to the much improved  „MP-type“ viewfinder, which is wonderful and is the same that the later M7s were equipped with in the first place. Since you will probably not be shopping for an older second hand M7, this issue might not be relevant to you. Bear in mind, just in case, that converting the viewfinder will not be cheap (Leica used to do a free upgrade, but this is a thing of the past. Nowadays, it is €€€, nearly €€€€). 

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, frogfish said:

why do you recommend a current model?

Simple. Parts availability from Leica for pro service/repair. Leica will have in-house capability to repair current models quickly. Not so sure about older models though - they may even have to use alternative repairers especially for any model which has been discontinued for any length of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frogfish said:

Which film M would you recommend for high volume professional work?

I primarily used the Leica M6 and/or the Nikon F2 for high volume professional newspaper work. For weddings, I primarily used medium format film cameras for the formal photos and the two 35mm cameras with fast lenses for the available light candids.

Leica M6 & Nikon F2 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Edited by Narsuitus
  • Like 1

I shot my first wedding about 60+ years ago. I shot my my most recent wedding last week, at age 77! Surprised even me. I have been through ALL the equipment scenarios in the intervening time, for both wedding, commercial/advertising photography and theatrical work. Mostly it was obviously all film work but I did (slowly) switch to digital. I still shoot film for personal indulgence, but I would not, for economic reasons, shoot a paid job on film  unless the client was happy to pick up the substantial extra cost.

However, I will not presume to tell you how to shoot your work, so to answer the question, I would jump for the Leica M7. I found it to be the best all round camera of the Leica range to seamlessly fit into my workflow, regardless of assignment (with some limitations, inherent in all Leica's for some work). Their flash adaptability is not brilliant, but doable when push comes to shove. Essentially Leica's are 'available light' machines.

Good luck, and may your stamina stay with you.

• Like 4

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Jean-Michel:

Rarely now, but started doing so in the late 1960's with a 4x5 Speed Graphic and perhaps 12 holders, so 24 shots. I was of course a bit facetious with the 2 rolls limit given what is expected today by the clients. Planning to photograph using film gives you the opportunity to discuss with your clients what you think may be important to record  during the event and why you do not plan to record fluff that everybody will record quite well with cell phone cameras. 

of course everybody has his own approach. But I do not document. (0:
If this was my goal I would put a go-pro in the corner of the room...

And, I shoot the wedding like I want to show it, not like the clients want. That is clear right from the start. Otherwise it would be no fun.

Heiko

• Like 1

Need meter?  M6 or MP.   Need electronic flash?  M6TTL or M7.  Don't need either meter or flash?  M3/M2/M4/M4-2/M4-P/MA with a recent CLA from one of the great Leica gurus like Sherry, DAG, Ye or even Leica.  You would probably be good to go for several years.  No Leica film camera is going to be much good with electronic flash as it is limited to 1/50th second synch speed.  And all the film M's were built to professional standards and with a good CLA should be up to standards.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frogfish said:

And, I shoot the wedding like I want to show it, not like the clients want. That is clear right from the start. Otherwise it would be no fun

Fun for whom? You the photographer or the client? Good luck with that. Keep us informed.

Edited by pico

vor 5 Stunden schrieb pico:

Fun for whom? You the photographer or the client? Good luck with that. Keep us informed.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb pico:

Fun for me, of course (0:

many have the same perspective as you, that's fine. Clients book me because of my vision, because they want something special.

I am not a vendor. The day I become one, I'll quit.

heiko

• Like 1