Finally, decided on the M-9 but some questions remain

LyleBright

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 minutes ago, pico said:

I would not take the dealer's word for it any more than a used car salesman's opinion. Skepticism is healthy.

This brought a flashback of  youthful memories 😂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

@LyleBright: Sorry for the off-topic interjection😌

Edited by schattenundlicht

My M9-P , or MM is in my camera bag every day, works as my 'man bag' for phone, wallet etc, so may have 3-4 trips a week with no use.

Gets bumped around, marked up if something falls into the wrong pouch (like a viewfinder !) I do look after it clean it and treasure it but it's now done 30,459 had the sensor replaced and the screen is perfect, the body is quite polished with some scratches that I occasionally buff out, adding to the used polished look. I love it you will too !

Love the M9-P

• Like 1

Make sure the Sensor was replaced recently. I can't remember the cut-off date, some time in 2017 I think but it's bound to somewhere in this forum.  The earlier replacements just pulled out the original sensor and replaced it with an identical type which was prone to the same problem after a while. I recently bought an M9  with the sensor replaced but it started with the problem soon after I bought it. Replacement would have cost over £1000, but luckily, the firm I bought it from gave a 1 year warranty so I was able to get it replaced for free even though it took a couple of months for Leica Germany to get round to it. I'll be buying from this firm again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lysardman said:

Make sure the Sensor was replaced recently. I can't remember the cut-off date, some time in 2017

It would be very helpful if someone would provide that date (I have no idea how to find it). What you mean is that the *new* sensors were introduced in 2017?

1 hour ago, LyleBright said:

It would be very helpful if someone would provide that date (I have no idea how to find it). What you mean is that the *new* sensors were introduced in 2017?

No.  As mentioned before to be completely sure, just email Leica with the serial number of the M9, they will tell you which sensor it has.

Edited by ianman

39 minutes ago, LyleBright said:

The issue is I have a line on a camera and the seller says the sensor was "changed in 2016". But how could I tell from the serial number of the camera, which would have info about the original sensor only, whether the replaced sensor is new one, without the defect?

Quite simple really. You send an email to Leica with the serial number and they answer you whether it is a new sensor or not.

Both my M9-P bodies (new to me in 2012) had sensors replaced in 2015. Both failed, again, and were replaced in spring of 2018.

If you tend to shoot wide open with a 50 (perhaps even a 35), you might never know the sensor has corroded. One outing with a CV 15/4.5 and there was no doubt.

There is no difference between the M9 and M9-P sensor. Unless you only post thumbnails on the interwebs, do not rely on the rear display to evaluate an image, not when you can open it up on a much larger display on a home computer monitor.

The seller of the M9 I had my eye on (eBay) will not respond to my PMs requesting more info about the sensor change. I assume this is because he (or she) just hopes to unload it. The ad does not list the serial number. I did write to Leica and got a very fast response:

Good Morning,

Unfortunately, it does not appear to show any serial number on the advertisement below. Our serial numbers are a 7 digit number. For a heads up, if the M9 needed a sensor replacement and was not under warranty, our cost at good will would be approximately $960 plus tax. I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

K---- C----

Customer Care

Leica Camera Inc.

Who would want to by a camera for a high-dollar price and then have to invest another thousand dollars into it?

With this, I see that finding a camera with a new sensor will be a bit more difficult than I had imagined! (And possibly unwise to by off of eBay or from a foreign seller...)

ADDED NOTE: Duh. I looked at the photo in the ad for the camera and located the Serial Number! Just sent it in for a report. 

Edited by LyleBright

We have been suggesting over and over again to email Leica with the serial number. If the seller won't tell you the serial number, I would strongly suggest to not walk away, but run away.

It should not be difficult at all finding an M9 with the latest sensor, the seller should have proof (a document from Leica) and - as you now know - the customer service is very helpful. Where are you located?

Edited by ianman

1 minute ago, ianman said:

We have been suggesting over and over again to email Leica with the serial number. If the seller won't tell you the serial number, I would strongly suggest to not walk away, but run away.

It should not be difficult at all finding an M9 with the latest sensor. Where are you located?

You have been advising well. See the edited post above. I do appreciate the help.

Located in the US. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LyleBright said:

ADDED NOTE: Duh. I looked at the photo in the ad for the camera and located the Serial Number! Just sent it in for a report.

Even so, if the seller has not been replying to your questions or willing to share information.... well, personally I'd search somewhere else. Preferably from a dealer with a good reputation. And just so you know, every camera that had it's sensor replaced was shipped back with a document mentioning the fact. So I'd also suggest asking to see the document, making sure the serial number corresponds, and if you buy the camera, take the document too.

I am sure that there are legitimate sellers on e-bay. I would personally only purchase a Leica from a Leica dealer, An definitely not sight unseen from anyone. Would you buy a used car sight unseen?

Edited by Jean-Michel

1 hour ago, ianman said:

Preferably from a dealer with a good reputation. And just so you know, every camera that had it's sensor replaced was shipped back with a document mentioning the fact.

Well, there are very few m9s out there! I guess you just have to keep looking.

I'd much rather buy from a dealer...

On 10/16/2018 at 10:24 AM, grahamm said:

Looks like it was Sept 2015. See here:

Odd. I just had a conversation with a Tech at Leica. She said that in March of 2015, when the sensor on the camera I have my eye on was replaced, that it was replaced with a sensor that solved whatever the defective sensor problem was.

This is in contradiction to the above-quoted which gives a September date -- 5 months later.

FWIW I have in the last year bought 3 M9s from eBay, all with sensors replaced in 2017 with paperwork to support that, all 3 sellers were happy to send me serial numbers and scans of the documentation before I bought and I got the paperwork with the cameras.

• Thanks 1