Impulse buy... Leica R6.2

ramarren

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have hardly used my Leicaflex SL, but in a moment of weakness I bought myself an R6.2 with the notion of having the last ever fully mechanical Leica R camera (meter excepted, of course). 

Okay, now tell me how silly that was...!! :D

• Like 1

Agreed, not silly whatsoever Godfrey.

I carted an SL (Leicaflex that is) plus an R6, and 24 Elmarit plus 35/50/90 Summicrons all round Europe last year.

Colour in the R6, B&W in the SL. Digital with the X-Vario. 

Cheaper than gym membership too.

Enjoy it.

Gary

• Like 1

Please give your impressions compared with the Leicaflex SL. I’m currently undecided between the two (R6 rather than 6.2), and I’m most interested in your (always) considered opinions :)

And no, it was not remotely silly. I’d rather say inspired ... 

Edited by Mute-on

Good idea. Oops, I just bought an SL2 to go with my R6.2 (etc.). Enjoy your shooting! Now I am waiting. And sorting out the meter battery situation... The R6/6.2 is svelte with its own release and shutter character. Nice finder. Very enjoyable. Handles larger lenses fine within reason.

Made a couple of exposures today: A lovely camera. :D

Comparing it to the Leicaflex SL is kinda like comparing an original Nikon F to the Nikon FM2n, where the F (like the 'Flex SL) is larger, heavier, and more solid feeling, but the FM2n (like the R6.2)  has the advantage of a couple of decades small developments in meter and small features, and is lighter and smaller overall as a package. The FM2n was the camera I used most of the time for almost twenty years, but I always loved the Nikon F and F3 as well. The Leicaflex SL has that superbly solid, meaty feel of "old Leica stuff" where the R6.2 is smaller, lighter, and probably just a better camera overall. 

I just read through the entire instruction manual (took twenty minutes...) and now understand all the small details of the R6.2. It has a few very nice, very useful subtleties. Today a made three or four exposures with the 'Lux-R 50, tomorrow or this evening I'll fit the Super--Elmar-R 15mm for a giggle. 

• Like 2

I have to laugh: I thought I bought the correct pair of Motor Drive R and grip ... from two different sources. Well, the grip came with a Motor Winder R and the Motor Drive R is actually a Motor Drive R4 and it came with a grip. The grips are different ... the Drive is the older type that doesn't have the electronics in the grip, and the Winder is the later type that does have the electronics in the grip. The good news is that both work just fine. :D

Now it's just wait for the Remote Control R unit and I have the complete setup. 

Your aperture lever is working smoothly and does not "stick" ?

Weak point of R 6 and 6.2.

If action is not smooth, either try to avoid use or seek professional repair. If you force it, it may break. -> trouble.

Thanks for the note: The aperture preview lever on this body is smooth and doesn't stick. I don't really use it much anyway, but I have always tended to exercise it occasionally on my SLRs so that it wouldn't become sticky. I'll keep an eye on it. 

The RC Leica R unit arrived yesterday. It operated the camera+winder but the display didn't work. It's going back to the vendor I got it from, I have another one coming. 

Oh yeah: My first roll of film has been sacrificed to the gods of testing loading, camera functions, motor winder and motor drive functions with actual film loaded. I've rewound and re-exposed it a about a half a dozen times now when I became obvious I needed to actually use some film to see if everything worked properly, and get a feel for the controls. I'll never process it, so my first actual photos with the R6.2 are yet to come. :D

Edited by ramarren

Oh yes: hadn't posted a 'beauty shot' yet: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

enjoy!

• Like 3