Summicron 50mm f2 rigid (V2)

SMAL

Yes, this was Leica's first serious response to the challenge from Japan (Canon and Nikon) - the previous collapsible requiring compromises (although not bad), And began the replacement of "ported" screw-mount lens designs with lenses designed specifically for the M. At least in 50mm - the 35 Summaron f/2.8 and 28 f/5.6 preceded it.

Very good (one might even say amazingly good, for 1957) resolution and micro-contrast (acutance), while retaining a softer macro-contrast (tonal range). A combination I like.

I used one briefly when the M10 came out - the DR version with close-focus attachment for studio work. Didn't keep it - but may have to reconsider. ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

vor 3 Stunden schrieb spydrxx:

Look in the photos sections, you'll see lots of shots with this fine lens.

I really tried, but I couldn’t find an album for that exact lense. If you have any direct links, please show me.

@adan you should! In my opinion it has the perfect amount of glow to make all those color transitions more pleasing. It’s not too much, just right enough to add some vintage character.

DR version with close-focus attachment, M9

Wet nettle shot wide open against the light

(cut for the forum from a 60% crop).

Barely something in focus but what is is quite well resolved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SMAL said:

I really tried, but I couldn’t find an album for that exact lense. If you have any direct links, please show me.

@adan you should! In my opinion it has the perfect amount of glow to make all those color transitions more pleasing. It’s not too much, just right enough to add some vintage character.

You usually won't find albums devoted to specific lenses, you will need to sort thru pictures.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 7 Minuten schrieb spydrxx:

You usually won't find albums devoted to specific lenses, you will need to sort thru pictures.

So, what´s your point? The photos are not labeled. Why not collect some photos here from this awesome lens? If you have some, post them here.

Over time, I use some copies of Summicron Rigid or DR, some don't resist passing time.

I still own/use some after selling other copies that even clean did not give good results.

Those I use now aren't at same level of "good quality".

I'm sure that their discrepencies can't be obvious in web size.

As always, only trying it ( them ) can tell if it's good enough for service.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb a.noctilux:

Over time, I use some copies of Summicron Rigid or DR, some don't resist passing time.

I still own/use some after selling other copies that even clean did not give good results.

Those I use now aren't at same level of "good quality".

I'm sure that their discrepencies can't be obvious in web size.

As always, only trying it ( them ) can tell if it's good enough for service.

The one I tried today produced lovely photos, but the focus was a little choppy. Nothing a CLA couldn´t fix I think.

MM + 1967 Rigid

Chill, man... 😉

• Like 4

For me there isn't really anything that this lens can't do, and it's probably my favourite ergonomically - I find the fairly narrow scaloped focus ring really comfortable to use, and the infinity lock gives extra leverage when that is needed.  Focus travel is just about right and I don't object at all to the whole stop aperture clicks.  Perhaps the only negative is the 1.0m minimum focus distance.  If you can find one in good optical condition I would highly, highly recommend it. 

I took this yesterday - not sure it proves much, but I can say it was a huge pleasure to use the lens!

• Like 7

I've had one for 30 years, wonderful lens, the sharpest 50mm I have ever used at large apertures, across the frame.

Better than 2 nikon 50/1.8s, and a a 1.4 ais, better than an Olympus 50 1.4, and a Pentax 55/2, 1.8, and 50/1.7.

And lovely rendering in colour and monochrome. 

Gerry 

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb bocaburger:

I had one of the chrome rigids, lovely lens and like my collapsible LTM, came with a UV filter mounted and perfect front glass with no cleaning marks.  Esthetically it's my fave of all, but I switched to a 11817 and finally 11819 because of weight. 

How do they compare rendering wise? Is it worth the few less grams of weight? 

… and so better if it's the mytical "Dual Range" Summicron V2... :)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Does the summicron V2 dual range work on the Leica M10 or Leica M240? I presently have a perfect sample of the Rigid 50mm summicron V2, which I find gives lovely results on the Leica M 240. I used it extensively for a wedding outside, by day and by night with very good success! It is a very sharp lens, with no distortion, nice colours and its harmonous tones are perfect to take portraits (ladies like to be shown the most nicely as possible, without showing to much skin détails with high contrast!). Actualy the summicron 50mm rigid is rendering the skin with just the necessary sharpness and softness the new lenses give too harshly (due to to high micro contrast and maybe some astigmatism).

best regards.

Dominique.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DBAUDUI1 said:

Hello,

Does the summicron V2 dual range work on the Leica M10 or Leica M240? I presently have a perfect sample of the Rigid 50mm summicron V2, which I find gives lovely results on the Leica M 240. I used it extensively for a wedding outside, by day and by night with very good success! It is a very sharp lens, with no distortion, nice colours and its harmonous tones are perfect to take portraits (ladies like to be shown the most nicely as possible, without showing to much skin détails with high contrast!). Actualy the summicron 50mm rigid is rendering the skin with just the necessary sharpness and softness the new lenses give too harshly (due to to high micro contrast and maybe some astigmatism).

best regards.

Dominique.

Dominique,

With DR when mounting on digital Leica M, take care to put the lens on 1.5m to 2m setting, so not to destroy something in the chamber of camera.

DR Summicron would work on M240 only to about 4 - 5 m not to use for long distance .

I use with pleasure my Summicron DR (SOMNI) on M10, first digital Leica that accept it (well not every copy of DR though) ...

the M10 + DR use related here early 2017

Since then I use Rigid Summicron when I plan not to use under 1m or SOMNI when I plan to use with the optical adapter for near range.

Maybe the best is using SOMKY when needed with the optical head of Rigid

or why not put the OUFRO on it (or 50mm of one's choice) with LV/EVF use on M240 or M10.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

...Maybe the best is using SOMKY when needed with the optical head of Rigid...

Yes, that's my way of using it on M240 (also in the above picture, btw) : it's a light and pocketable set, very precise to focus with RF. Frankly, I don't know if the standard "rigid V2" has the same rendering, but I Always use the optical head of my DR... it was designed for such ranges, after all…B) (SOMKY provides exactly the same distances as the DR with goggles)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

• 4 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 7:47 PM, a.noctilux said:

Maybe the best is using SOMKY when needed with the optical head of Rigid

or why not put the OUFRO on it (or 50mm of one's choice) with LV/EVF use on M240 or M10.

Hi:

Your use of SOMNI really helps and I would like to confirm the following setting before buying an used M/M-P (typ 240). I am new to the Leica system and I am using a Sony A7m3 with several M lenses right now.

(1) SOMKY+UOORF: must be used with the lens head of SOMNI (unscrewed from the mount) and only the near range is usable

(2) OUFRO: can be used with the lens itself (no need to be unscrewed). But I guess that the focus range would be changed. Is that correct?

I know that M10 is compatible with SOMNI but it costs twice than an used M/M-P. So it is really a tough choice for me.

Paxson