Camera Fall

Enbee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello - Today my camera fell while it was on a tripod. There was a sudden gush of the wind and I just couldn’t control the tripod. 

The new 16-35 lens got chipped off. I am unable to upload an image as the size of image is now restricted but here is the image. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcjz6fy0gk1h8yz/2018-10-12 22.11.04.jpg?dl=0

The front cover broke as well - that can be replaced. 

The other issue issue is that the lens won’t come off. I can press he release button. The camera is working I am able to take images but it won’t come off. Any suggestions what can I do? 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3bxukumv790cfm/2018-10-12 22.11.12.jpg?dl=0

Learned the lesson the hard way today! 

Edited by Enbee

Ouch, big ouch. Specially with lens now fixed to camera there may be some mechanical damage that will require expert attention at Leica repair place.

It may sound too forensic but need to ask you, for the benefit of all.

Did you use lens hood, or protective filter.  Damage looks cosmetic however lenses don’t like to hit hard surface face down, I know from own experience.  Any extra metal or plastic is good shock absorber.

What type of tripod did you use, was it sturdy to support lens and camera in a stable manner.

It’s a pro media gear Tripod. It is quite sturdy and I had been using it for sometime. Though this was my first real outing with it for landscape. What a way to learn! 

I stepped away and this gush of air on the hill came in from nowhere and just knocked the tripod over. 

I had the lens hood which is now damaged - the reason why the lens got impacted was because the lens hood was pointing inwards. I got the lens on Wednesday so I was hoping to get the lens protector this week. I think both these changes can be made easily. 

I am really enjoying using the lens as it’s much lighter than 24-90 and I love how incredible the feel for this lens is. 

I am am really saddened and now a wee bit concerned. I am sure it will be ok - but still.

I am in SFO right now so planning to take it to the leica store right now. I know Leica London did. 

Does es anyone know if I they have repair facility Or I will have to send it to NJ? 

I can’t imagine this being covered by the standard warranty. It’s caused by damage and will be obvious to Leica. 

I definitely would not attempt to force the lens off at this point as you may make the situation worse. 

I keep the hoods on the SL lenses to help protect the lens when I’m walking about. It accomplishes the task better than a UV filter and doesn’t degrade IQ. 

Sorry to hear about your accident.  Sad to say I had a similar incident occur in  May 2017 when the camera was 7 months old. I purchased it new in October 2016 and that's when I found that the Leica passport is no longer offered.

I posted the following on 18th August 2017

"In early May 2017 my SL and 24-90 on a tripod blew over and landed lens first, partly down a crack in rock.  The Lee filter fitted smashed and the Lee adapter was twisted back over the lens barrel.

I contacted Leica UK on 10th May  who emailed a reply label to send it all to Germany.

The body and lens went from the UK to Wetzlar via UPS on 11 May and was received on Tuesday 16th May.  Leica emailed an estimate for repairs on Friday 19th May and work was put in hand later that day. 

An email from UPS on Wed 7th June told me they'd collected the body and lens and they would deliver it on Friday 9 June.  I calculate that's 10 working days at Wetzlar. The lens has been stripped, zoom realigned and a new focus ring fitted. it looks like new. The body has a new rear screen and base plate and the sensor has been realigned.  Firmware V 3 installed at the factory.

Andrea Frankl in the customer service department has been really helpful in keeping me informed.

Tests at all apertures and focal lengths using a B&H test chart  with the point of focus set around the periphery of the frame and in the centre showed everything seems to be absolutely square. 

This is outstanding service in my view!"

As the accident was not covered by the warranty my insurance company met the costs.  I hope your repairs are equally successful.

Graeme

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, fsprow said:

I often use a tripod and carry an empty bag and string along with me. If windy I fill the bag with dirt or rocks and hang from tripod center. Haven’t had any problems when used with a Gitzo Traveler. 

Frank

I use an old dumbbell weight on reinforced elastic to hold mine down and it works well in high winds. More weight to carry around, I know, but it is a trade-off I am prepared to accept.

In addition, I insure my body and 16-35 via Eversure - something like £140 a year and this includes accidental damage which gives me peace of mine. 

Iain

• 3 weeks later...

That is always the risk you take when using a lightweight tripod. I have a fairly heavy aluminum tripod for my Leica and also for my Swarovski spotting scope. It's simple physics, the heavier tripod has a lower center of gravity than a 4lb super light tripod with a 8-10lb camera and lens combo sitting at top. It's easy enough to carry an empty pouch or old camera bag inside your pocket or a compartment of your current camera bag/ case; cheap insurance. 

There is a reason some tripods have a hook at the bottom of the center-post or below the head when there is no center column.
Hang your camera bag on the hook.

A clever chap I knew used a dog-anchor screwed into the ground beneath the column with hook. Google is your friend.

The PMG tripods are sturdy and heavy, but on a hill there is less stability depending upon how the legs are splayed. I have a hook on my PMG from which I can hang my camera bag rather than carry extra weights or look for rocks. 

Good luck with the repair - how did it go? 

6 hours ago, Sandokan said:

The PMG tripods are sturdy and heavy, but on a hill there is less stability depending upon how the legs are splayed. I have a hook on my PMG from which I can hang my camera bag rather than carry extra weights or look for rocks. 

No need to carry weights. Keep a small/ medium plastic bag or two in your camera bag. If you need ballast, stick a piece of wood, some dirt, some rocks in your plastic bag and put that in your camera bag. I call it cheap insurance. $10K of camera gear on top of a tripod? It is a no brainer to me to add ballast.

The second bag is in case the weather turns nasty and starts raining ...

On 10/13/2018 at 7:26 AM, Enbee said:

It’s a pro media gear Tripod. It is quite sturdy and I had been using it for sometime. Though this was my first real outing with it for landscape. What a way to learn! 

I stepped away and this gush of air on the hill came in from nowhere and just knocked the tripod over. 

I had the lens hood which is now damaged - the reason why the lens got impacted was because the lens hood was pointing inwards. I got the lens on Wednesday so I was hoping to get the lens protector this week. I think both these changes can be made easily. 

I am really enjoying using the lens as it’s much lighter than 24-90 and I love how incredible the feel for this lens is. 

I am am really saddened and now a wee bit concerned. I am sure it will be ok - but still.

I am in SFO right now so planning to take it to the leica store right now. I know Leica London did. 

Does es anyone know if I they have repair facility Or I will have to send it to NJ? 

Hello Enbee,

Sorry to hear about what happened. Hopefully everything will be fixable.

What did you mean when you wrote "the lens hood was pointing inward" ?

By the way, the "10 kilo/22 pound rock" that I take with me when I am photographing is simply a 1.5 meter/5 foot length of 50 kilo/110 pound test braided nylon cord with a loop tied at each end. Nylon so it is strong & will not decompose or get moldy if it gets wet & can't be dried for a while.

1 end of the loop goes over the large ball head (Better than a pan & tilt head in the field.). The other end is tied to something heavy that I put under the tripod. Or, sometimes I just stand on the cord & pull it tight. Weight is 30 grams/1 ounce & it rolls up to be 1/2 of the size of a golf ball.

Best Regards,

Michael