NITECORE CHARGER FAILURE

rnl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The currently popular products seem to plug into the 12 volt socket and present two USB A-sockets, with a capacity of 4 to 4.8 amps in two sockets, which I guess is no more than 2-2.4 amps to each one.  But these appear to present 5V outputs, not 12 V at the USB A  sockets.  Are any of these QC or similar higher output when they succeed in handshaking with the camera battery charger?

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Maybe silly, but it is exactly what we used to do to drive a portable DVD player to keep kids in the back seat entertained on long (over 30 mins) drives.

To compensate for my silly implementation, I would like credit for defeating two 12V accessory plugs that turned off when the ignition was turned off. They are live all the time now. The fix was so simple, no splicing, entirely reversible. But it's a Toyota thing.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/21/2018 at 3:56 PM, JusBL@zE said:

Just got the charger and working great for me. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I got mine a few weeks ago and have been using is since. So far, so good! I really like the information presented on the unit's LCD display.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

On 12/30/2018 at 3:20 AM, budjames said:

I got mine a few weeks ago and have been using is since. So far, so good! I really like the information presented on the unit's LCD display.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Hi Bud,

I've been dealing with Nitecore customer service to try and isolate the issue; to see if myself and others have a faulty charger, or if we were lucky enough to just find the flaws in the design. I am curious - have you checked the battery's percentage in the camera after charging on the Nitecore? Also, do you pull them off the charger as soon as you see they are full, or have you left them overnight? It seems like the charger is able to discharge if the batteries are left in for any kind of extended period. My unit and display all seem to be functioning fine, until I left them in overnight and found they only were reporting 90% in camera (or completely dead, on two occasions). 

3 hours ago, FireLight said:

Hi Bud,

I've been dealing with Nitecore customer service to try and isolate the issue; to see if myself and others have a faulty charger, or if we were lucky enough to just find the flaws in the design. I am curious - have you checked the battery's percentage in the camera after charging on the Nitecore? Also, do you pull them off the charger as soon as you see they are full, or have you left them overnight? It seems like the charger is able to discharge if the batteries are left in for any kind of extended period. My unit and display all seem to be functioning fine, until I left them in overnight and found they only were reporting 90% in camera (or completely dead, on two occasions). 

NiteCore claims (in promotional material) that you can just leave the batteries in the charger until you need them, but I have had the same experience you describe.  I left batteries in the charger overnight and in the morning found them saying "8.4 volts FULL" but in fact showing 7.8 or 7.9 volts.  The charger actually takes them to 8.1 volts if you remove them immediately.  Another trick applies to charging up a battery that has been run down to half or so.  Then when it stops, remove it and reinsert it to charge again until it stops (5-10 minutes).  This usually gets it to 95 or 100%.  If you just charge it in one pass, 80 to 85% is more typical. 

The M10 charger uses a more complicated protocol than the earlier models, I think.  Haven't checked this carefully, though.  I suspect Leica with its 5% accuracy battery gauge, is unusual.  Most cameras just show battery state with a 4-bar or 5-bar scale.  And Li-ion/polymer  batteries have complex internal dynamics.  The open circuit voltage doesn't tell you everything that is going on.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

7 hours ago, FireLight said:

Hi Bud,

I have not left batteries charging overnight as I never do, even with the Leica chargers. I have taken batteries fully charged in the Nitecore and put them into the Leica charger. The Leica charger indicated that the batteries were fully charged.

Regards,
Bud James

• 6 months later...
On 1/1/2019 at 10:13 PM, scott kirkpatrick said:

NiteCore claims (in promotional material) that you can just leave the batteries in the charger until you need them, but I have had the same experience you describe.  I left batteries in the charger overnight and in the morning found them saying "8.4 volts FULL" but in fact showing 7.8 or 7.9 volts.  The charger actually takes them to 8.1 volts if you remove them immediately.  Another trick applies to charging up a battery that has been run down to half or so.  Then when it stops, remove it and reinsert it to charge again until it stops (5-10 minutes).  This usually gets it to 95 or 100%.  If you just charge it in one pass, 80 to 85% is more typical. 

The M10 charger uses a more complicated protocol than the earlier models, I think.  Haven't checked this carefully, though.  I suspect Leica with its 5% accuracy battery gauge, is unusual.  Most cameras just show battery state with a 4-bar or 5-bar scale.  And Li-ion/polymer  batteries have complex internal dynamics.  The open circuit voltage doesn't tell you everything that is going on.

I have the same issue with mine. I can’t just put two battery and leave them overnight. Both will deplete next morning. 

What a garbage product. I wonder if anyone have work around for the problem?

31 minutes ago, Sam said:

I was about to buy a Nitecore charger when I saw them on the Leica Store website, but a check of Amazon reviews indicated a poorly made and unreliable product. What a shame because it certainly is a good idea.

I have several for different batteries and all work very well. 

There was a bug in the software used on the Gen 1 Nitecore charger for the M10. If you left the batteries in overnight, they would fully charge and then discharge. The display however would show fully charged.

I sent mine back and they replaced it with Gen 2 which works correctly now. They seem to have put in a discharge limit at 95% capacity so if you take the battery out as soon as it hits full charge, the camera will show 100%; if you take it out the next day, the camera will show 95%.

5 minutes ago, elmars said:

How can I see, if I have a Gen 1 or 2 one?

I didn’t see any visual or labelling difference. The best way to know is to charge a battery and leave it in overnight. If the battery shows less than 95% charge in your camera after leaving it in overnight, you have Gen 1 and should contact Nitecore for a replacement. Nitecore was excellent to deal with; they swapped out the faulty charger within 24 hrs and had their agent in Hong Kong meet me in person to do the swap. 

On 7/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, Sam said:

I was about to buy a Nitecore charger when I saw them on the Leica Store website, but a check of Amazon reviews indicated a poorly made and unreliable product. What a shame because it certainly is a good idea

The problem seems isolated to the first version of the ULM10 PRO charger for the M10 camera, which fcracer suggests have now been fixed in the second version. I found the Nitecore ULM9 charger for my M9 Monochrom batteries to be excellent.

Edited by Nick_S

3 hours ago, Nick_S said:

The problem seems isolated to the first version of the ULM10 PRO charger for the M10 camera, which fcracer suggests have now been fixed in the second version. I found the Nitecore ULM9 charger for my M9 Monochrom batteries to be excellent.

That's good to hear. I found a reasonably priced used M10 charger for my second one, so now I'm good. 

• 6 months later...