NITECORE CHARGER FAILURE

rnl

On 10/19/2018 at 9:19 AM, bencychin said:

Hi JC,

Many thanks for sharing your experience on simulateous charging of both batteries.

Indeed it is stated in the leaflet that the charger has 2 modes - Normal and Quick Charge.

So my USB plug at 5V 2A will not trigger dual charge. It seems to need 9V 2A to go into QC mode.

I now need to buy a USB plug that support QC2.0 or QC3.0 to get simultaneous charging.

Every day I am learning new things!

Benedict.

There you go, mystery solved! Nice to know that it will work with any USB charger just in different modes.  I'm using a cheap 4-port USB power supply I got on eBay. Three of the ports are normal and one is marked QC2.0. Cheers, jc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lumsing-Quick-Charge-2-0-Multi-Port-USB-Wall-Charger-4-Port-Wall-Charging-Hub/183405912948?hash=item2ab3d82374:g:68oAAOSwVTNbRWB9:rk:7:pf:0

Full product description here: https://charger.nitecore.com/Uploads/FLASHLIGHTS/download/1536652059.pdf 

The ULM10 has 2 charging modes: QC mode and Standard Mode. It can charge 2 batteries in QC mode but only one battery in Standard Mode.

I've used the M9 and Q versions for some time and never had issues. My new ULM10 version charges two M10 batteries in a couple of hours in QC mode.

I wish it had the same form-factor as the D-Lux dual battery charger which is much more compact.

Edited by Guest

Well I have one of these chargers too and I can't say that I like the double battery design as personally I'd have liked it to have the same form factor as the other two Nitecore chargers I own, ( for the MM1 and the 240 batteries ), i.e.; single bank.

The thing with the Nitecore M10 dual charger is that when it does charge to an indicated "FULL" I find that the camera then reports that the battery is at 80%, not 100% and this is true with all three M10 batteries I own so it's safe to assume it's not one wonky battery. Then when I take one of the Nitecore "fully charged" batteries and put it into the Leica M10 charger it doesn't indicate that the battery is "FULL", it charges the battery for another hour or so until showing "FULL" first on the charger then in the camera.

So, with no instructions with the Nitecore charger, am I missing a step with it and therefore it's only charging to 80%

The other Mitecore chargers, for the MM1 and the 240 are fine, showing none of these problems.

PS. Thanks Jono for the link to the "manual"....just noticed your post. I'll check it out.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Albert, it could be insufficient amperage suppose, I am using a USB / AC wall plug but I'm unsure of it's output. I am not using a USB port on a computer.

I have ordered another USB plug that has a high output, ( so it claims ), maybe when that arrives I will get better charging capacity. I'll post the news!

Edited by petermullett
typo!

• 2 months later...

I have had this exact same problem with my Nitecore. On two occasions, I left two batteries to charge over night, only to insert one in my camera and find it didn't even have enough power to display the change battery screen. At first, I thought it was my error, mixing up which batteries were charged and drained, but after the second time, I was sure of it. After reading this post, I just wanted to add my confirmation of the issue. Additionally, I have found that the batteries, when they do charge properly and read as full on the Nitecore, usually only register 90% in camera. There has not been much consistency in any of my use - I have had two batteries charge (to 90%) successfully, and I have had a single battery charge to 100%.  I have not sat down and really tried to narrow down the issues, but it seems to me that it only happens when two batteries are being charged. For reference, I was plugging in to a wall with an iPad 5v charger and powered one battery on a USB pack. 

I've been using a cheap Lumsing charger from the Bay (about $4.50US). Works great with the Nitecore M10 charger. Charges two batteries and my phone at the same time. I've had the M9 charger for a couple years and the M10 charger for about 3 months. No problems at all. Still wish Nitecore would come out with a single slot M10 charger for when I want to travel really light. Cheers, jc 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm missing something that seems to be claimed in the previous 3-4 posts.  My Nitecore chargers take 5v USB A-plug inputs.  Their capabilities depend on the number of amps (1, 2, 3, 3+) which a charger can supply at 5 volts, and there are some USB chargers (which I don't have) that offer QC 2.0 fast charging.  So how do you plug them into 120 volts or 9 volts? 

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

11 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I'm missing something that seems to be claimed in the previous 3-4 posts.  My Nitecore chargers take 5v USB A-plug inputs.  Their capabilities depend on the number of amps (1, 2, 3, 3+) which a charger can supply at 5 volts, and there are some USB chargers (which I don't have) that offer QC 2.0 fast charging.  So how do you plug them into 120 volts or 9 volts? 

Yes sir.

https://www.anker.com/products/108/203/wall-chargers

21 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

USB 1.0 chargers are 120V input, output: 5V @ 1 to 3 amps. USB QC chargers are 120V input, output: 5V, 9V, or even 12V. So the Nitecore charger will except any of the USB 2.0 voltages and regulate it to correctly charge the device being charged. Hope that helps. Cheers jc

https://www.pcmag.com/article/359908/what-is-fast-charging

Edited by jkcampbell2

9 hours ago, pico said:

If you can get it, I have 120 volt AC in my vehicle and keep a charger plugged in to refresh batteries on the road.

Why? You can use the 12 volt of your car directly both for the Leica charger as for the nitecore? What you are doing looks quite inefficient. Converting 12 volt DC into 110 volt AC and then converting 110 volt AC into 12 volt DC again.

9 hours ago, Gobert said:

Why? [...] What you are doing looks quite inefficient. Converting 12 volt DC into 110 volt AC and then converting 110 volt AC into 12 volt DC again.

Yes, it sure is a silly set-up. I must get the 12V DC plugs.