NITECORE CHARGER FAILURE

rnl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just weird.  Put an M10 battery in the Nitecore charger and it charged to 8.2V. Took it out, put it in the M10 and the camera showed the battery fully charged and in good condition.

I removed the battery and inserted it and another battery into the Nitecore charger.  The next day the charger showed both batteries as fully charged - 8.2 v - and in good condition...removed a battery and inserted into the M10...the camera showed a 5% charge and turned off.  The other battery showed a 25% charge...

I reinserted the batteries and the Nitecore proceed to charge one of the two showing a 7V charge...I immediately removed the batteries and charged them in the Leica charger...

I used a reliable electric source for the charger.

It's going back to the store for a refund...I am lucky as I am going on a Leica trip to Zion next week  and planned to take only the Nitecore charger...that's not happening. 

Edited by richardlipow

I have had at least two failures with Nitecore chargers, both when attached to USB port of laptop. Had to turn off the laptop (to go to a meeting) before the batteries were fully charged. When plugged the charger back in to the laptop again, got error message and no charge. I still carry a Nitecore charger with me for charging in a car during long drives (or plugged in the laptop overnight so can get a full charge), but also take the stock Leica charger with me so I can charge more than one battery at a time and to have one reliable charger in case the Nitecore fails. It is a great concept and appreciate the charging info, but something in the circuitry has something against me....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Nitecore charger says right on the side that it requires a 5V-2A USB power supply. Laptops and inexpensive hubs often provide about 5.V-1A, which is insufficient for the charger to work reliably. 

I've been using a Nitecore charger for my CL batteries exclusively since I bought the CL, and for my M-D for a bit longer than that. I used one for the SL batteries too. I power the Nitecore chargers with an Apple iPad Pro charger rated at 5.2V–2.4A output or a CyberPower TR12U3A dual-port charger rated at 5V-3.1A output. I have had no problems with the Nitecore chargers. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, ramarren said:

My Nitecore charger says right on the side that it requires a 5V-2A USB power supply. Laptops and inexpensive hubs often provide about 5.V-1A, which is insufficient for the charger to work reliably. 

I've been using a Nitecore charger for my CL batteries exclusively since I bought the CL, and for my M-D for a bit longer than that. I used one for the SL batteries too. I power the Nitecore chargers with an Apple iPad Pro charger rated at 5.2V–2.4A output or a CyberPower TR12U3A dual-port charger rated at 5V-3.1A output. I have had no problems with the Nitecore chargers. 

used a 5V 2A usb power supply and it failed.  It's going back today.

4 hours ago, ramarren said:

That unfortunate. Manufacturing defects do happen, however. Doesn’t mean anything but that that one was bad. :)

It was annoying...I wanted to take it last night instead of hauling around a Canon 5dsr and a flash...used the canon and a flash

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well, I guess I am fortunate to be on the right side.

I have the SL, 240 & CL/Q Nitecore chargers, all working as they should be.

I used a China made USB Travel charger that has output 5V 3A for 3 ports in total (Single port output rated at 2.4A).

I have only used one port for charging, so far so good.

My M10 Nitecore charger is in transit to me.

Do hope it will be working as the previous 3 chargers I have.

Benedict

My M10 nitecore charger arrived today.

First impression:

1. larger than i had imagined.

2. the micro USB cable is detachable.

3 charging is sequential, one at a time, no problem detected so far.

Personal conclusion:

No real advantage over single slot charger other than no need to change battery after charging first of the two

Cheers!

Benedict

Thinking about it, perhaps it depends on the amperage of the USB source. I'm using a 2 amp USB wall cube. Maybe if you are plugged into a computer or a tiny cell phone charger it goes into a sequential mode because there's just not enough "juice" to charge two batteries at the same time. jc

Hi JC,

Many thanks for sharing your experience on simulateous charging of both batteries.

Indeed it is stated in the leaflet that the charger has 2 modes - Normal and Quick Charge.

So my USB plug at 5V 2A will not trigger dual charge. It seems to need 9V 2A to go into QC mode.

I now need to buy a USB plug that support QC2.0 or QC3.0 to get simultaneous charging.

Every day I am learning new things!

Benedict.

Just got the charger and working great for me. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!