Color Space

Csacwp

[Never used a Monochrom] Speaking specifically of the ABW (Advanced Black and White) mode in many Epson printers, Eric Chan - who knows his stuff - says, "the ABW driver is expecting to receive image data that is encoded with the sRGB gamma function (approximately a 2.2 gamma-encoding curve)."
http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/printworkflow.html#color

So generally, you want the gamma curve of your file to be what the printer expects. I believe Adobe RGB also uses a 2.2 gamma curve, but you'd need to verify that.

Anecdotally, I have a monitor that can be set to AdobeRGB or sRGB, and I cannot see a difference between their displays of a black and white photo. A sepia or other tone would of course be different.

If you are shooting RAW files it doesn't matter. If you are not, then JPEGs should probably be shot as sRGB as their information is already compromised so using the larger Adobe RGB colour space seems a bit pointless, and for most uses sRGB is more appropriate for JPEGs than Adobe RGB.

If you are going to spend time perfecting the image in post processing use Adobe RGB because you can't add back in what you've thrown away in using sRGB later. If you are just going to make an image for instant web use it doesn't really matter. And true B&W images are ironically never the dreaded dead 'Greyscale', they have a tone because photographic emulsion has a tone, so if you want them to compete with a 'wet print' keep the image Adobe RGB to the print stage. You can always dumb the image down as a copy in sRGB for the web. 

• 3 weeks later...