which sd card back-up solution in the field ?

didier

I use a Western Digital My Passport Wireless HD. It has a slot for a SD card, and you just plug in the card, press a button and wait for it to copy the files onto the HD. It has some WiFi function, too, but I never use that. WD has a SSD version out now, which I'll probably buy when the HD dies.

2 hours ago, Chuck Albertson said:

I use a Western Digital My Passport Wireless HD. It has a slot for a SD card, and you just plug in the card, press a button and wait for it to copy the files onto the HD. It has some WiFi function, too, but I never use that. WD has a SSD version out now, which I'll probably buy when the HD dies.

This, I use the same drive, it has its own battery, it doesn't need to be plugged in, that makes it very convenient to use anywhere.

Edited by mikemgb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/12/2018 at 2:46 PM, didier said:

how do you back-up your pictures in the field (without taking a laptop)

I put the camera SD in a pocket and replace it with another. What is better?

Edited by pico

It took me six weeks to put 1800 exposures on my 128G card in the CL. I haven't filled it yet. During the course of the trip, I used the app to pull occasional images off onto the iPad Pro for processing rather than pulling the card out of the camera. Worked beautifully. There really is a very very little point to having to carry some other device to do a backup with.

How many backups did you make when you shot with your film cameras? And film is far more likely to get damaged in travel than an SD card

1 hour ago, hmathias said:

The SD card is probably much dependable then any spinning hard drive. If you use a Leica SL then you have a second card for backup. At 128 GB I will never fill the card in one shoot...

My MBP is SSD and my external drives are SSD. 

2 minutes ago, david strachan said:

Hi Mike

I've been looking at the Passport too.  WD are a good brand.

Thinking about the SSD version...might get more out of the battery not having to drive a hard-drive.

My question though...is there anyway to check if all images have downloaded properly?

There is not but mine has never failed to download everything, once the light stops flashing everything is copied.

I have had mine for several years and the battery is starting to show its age, I will probably upgrade the the SSD version soon.

Edited by mikemgb
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ramarren said:

.....”.There really is a very very little point to having to carry some other device to do a backup with.

How many backups did you make when you shot with your film cameras? And film is far more likely to get damaged in travel than an SD card”.

If the images are important and your camera has only one card slot, or you need to create an archive that is accessible anywhere, there are incontrovertible and obvious reasons for backing your files up. 

There once were few practical options for backing up plates or film and historic work has been lost as a result.    The OP is asking a specific question,  your comments are as pointless as trying to argue against dual card slots.

Another vote for the WD wireless drive.  I use it for temporary belt-and-braces backing up of wedding images.

Edited by Ouroboros

I'm willing to accept, if not agree with, your opinion. But I'm also perfectly within my rights to voice mine. Thank you.

G

5 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

If the images are important and your camera has only one card slot, or you need to create an archive that is accessible anywhere, there are incontrovertible and obvious reasons for backing your files up. 

There once were few practical options for backing up plates or film and historic work has been lost as a result.    The OP is asking a specific question,  your comments are as pointless as trying to argue against dual card slots.

Another vote for the WD wireless drive.  I use it for temporary belt-and-braces backing up of wedding images.

I always store my images on at least two places. During photo sessions I use both cards, same images on both.
On shorter trips this is an OK solution, but on longer trips it will require a lot of memory card, and I can only view the images on the camera screen.
For this long trips I use a DJI/LaCie hard drive, Copilot, that works perfect for my needs, it reads SD cards without a computer. I copy my files to the drive, formate and reuse one of the cards. The second one is stored as a additional backup. The Copilot drive can be connected to any smartphone or tablet via cable, and I can review the DNG files on my iPad Mini.

On 10/14/2018 at 11:33 AM, ramarren said:

How many backups did you make when you shot with your film cameras? And film is far more likely to get damaged in travel than an SD card. 

I had some film stolen once on a trip of a lifetime. 25 years ago and I still miss those shots, which included mountain gorillas.

I have not had an SD card fail but I never want that feeling again.

Gordon

On 10/14/2018 at 1:42 PM, david strachan said:

Hi Mike

I've been looking at the Passport too.  WD are a good brand.

Thinking about the SSD version...might get more out of the battery not having to drive a hard-drive.

My question though...is there anyway to check if all images have downloaded properly?

There is an app that lets you check your files via a tablet or phone.

Gordon

• Like 1

I have shot film in most part of my life, and I as well have lost film rolls. And, thats not a funny situation when coming home and understanding you don't have anything left of that special moment.  One of the great advantages with digital is that you can secure yourself from that situation, having a backup strategy, and that you during a long trip can view your images to make sure you have the everything you need to tell your story. If I lose my camera and lenses it would be a bad thing, but they can be replaced (I have a camera insurance), but if I losing my images they can newer be replaced.

• Like 1