fielden

TL Lens Question

So I now have a CL and an SL

When I bought the CL, I bought the 11-23 TL Lens as well as the 18-56

The Cl has a crop factor of 1.6

I am told that if I put the TL lens on the SL, the sL will only use a CL size portion of the SL Sensor.

My question is, if the above is true, if I put the 11-23 TL lens on the SL, will I get an 11-23mm field of view in the Camera or 18-40mm field of view (11-23 X 1.6) the same as if on the cl?

Unlike with my 50mm M summilux which will be 50mm on my SL but approx 80mm on my CL.

Confused

Graeme

Your 11-23 on your SL is an 11-23. The big difference is that you only use about 10 megapixels of the sensor I believe is correct.

The 10M bigger SL pixels might give you better high ISO behavior than you see on the CL, but I have tried both and could not see a difference.  Yes, it is essentially the same lens on both.  For video, where the SL is more capable than the CL, the 11-23 is very useful with the SL and the 4K image comes from the part of the sensor that the APS-C lenses cover.

17 hours ago, fielden said:

So I now have a CL and an SL

When I bought the CL, I bought the 11-23 TL Lens as well as the 18-56

The Cl has a crop factor of 1.6

I am told that if I put the TL lens on the SL, the sL will only use a CL size portion of the SL Sensor.

My question is, if the above is true, if I put the 11-23 TL lens on the SL, will I get an 11-23mm field of view in the Camera or 18-40mm field of view (11-23 X 1.6) the same as if on the cl?

Unlike with my 50mm M summilux which will be 50mm on my SL but approx 80mm on my CL.

Confused

Graeme

The crop factor is 1.5 I believe... not 1.6

The equivalent on 35mm is 16.5-34.5 (16-35 ish).

On both the CL and SL... the 11-23 looks like a 16-35. The CL because of the sensor size, and the SL because it only uses part of the FF sensor.